The Student Room Group

Mature Students (21+) Chat

Scroll to see replies

Reply 380
Samainha
Hi!
Nice to meet you all! I'm María, 25 years old (almost 26! :frown: ). This year I'll go to university for the first time in my life, to study Languages and Intercultural Communication at Napier.
In Spain I studied something similar to a SVQ related with Development of computer applications, but it was not my calling, so here I am! I'm completely scared about this, it feels so good to know that I'm not the only mature student here! :biggrin:

Many lurk in this God forsaken place, there are more of us than you would think. :biggrin:

Good luck. And there is nothing worse than regretting the path not taken, fear pales in comparison to that. :smile:
Reply 381
JMonkey
And there is nothing worse than regretting the path not taken, fear pales in comparison to that. :smile:

I totally agree. There is just one life to live!

Good luck to everybody, once you start, everything comes easily :smile:
Reply 382
Hi all! Been lurking for a while now, figured it was time for me to put my foot in it.

My name is James (or Saph), aged 21 (22 in a few weeks). Left high school figuring I wanted to do my own thing rather then go to uni. However since then I've figured that going to uni is what I really want to do, currently taking A-levels and hope to get into a 2010 semester start. I want to take Chinese/business.

I was quite uncertain about my age and going back to uni but reading this forum has made me feel a lot more certain about the whole thing:woo: Haha,
Reply 383
Sologirl
I am 26, will be 27 when I start uni for the THIRD time, lol. Taking veterinary medicine this time round though, my ultimate dream. I'm gonna be the oldest student in halls, I swear! LOL!

Three degrees?? :eek: I thought no one could better me :sad: *weep*
I haven't properly introduced myself so here goes :p:

To be fair, I wasn't technically considered a mature student during my first degree, because I was 20 way back in 2004. And 23 when I graduated.

But now I'm back at uni as a postgraduate, age 25, yep can really feel the age difference after a few years in the workplace. Feel so much older - like I could be an aunt to some of the kids at my uni lol. Anyway the course I'm doing is called 'Business Information Management', and it is a postgraduate certificate/diploma. It goes for one year full-time, but I'm doing it part-time this year, full-time next year so it'll be a year and a half. Should hopefully lead to a career as a librarian. I also hope to graduate from this in July 2010, coz it'll be the middle of winter where I live and not so much competition for jobs :cool: That and I'll be over studying by then, I can feel it. I'm pretty much doing this because of the recession anyway :smile:
Just wanted to say hi, I'm Ariana, I'm 28 going to start my master's this year after a long time out of the academic circle :wink:
I'm also an international student and I'm excited and terrified at the same time :smile:
Hello Ariana,

Welcome :smile:

Where are you from?

I'm from Oz, and live in Oz :p: But I like using this forum anyway it's cool.
Hi everyone. My name is Matt, I'm 35 and live in Canterbury. I worked in IT for 15 years, but was always a frustrated historian, studying for the last 5 years at the OU part time. I was made redundant earlier this year and have decided to take this opportunity to go to uni as a (very) mature student! Am nervous that a) I won't get in and b) won't be able to keep up with the work, but am going to give it my best shot!

I have applied to Kent to study History but it's looking very popular and I haven't heard back so a bit worried. I am also interested in studying Classics there too.
Reply 388
Hi :smile: I'm 22 (soon 23) and I'm currently at Durham reading Philosophy. However, I will be dropping out and re-applying for Economics for entrance in 2009 either to Manchester or City University.
Reply 389
Hi, my name is Karen and I am somewhere in my 40's (can never quite remember how old I am). I found this site while looking for information for my son who is going to university this year to do a masters in physics.

I left school some 30 years ago and cannot quite believe I am hoping to go back and finally do a degree. I did O levels, then a secretarial diploma. I worked in the NHS for 2 1/2 years then went on a youth expedition overseas and only came back a few years ago. I had almost no opportunity to do any study whilst living abroad but got stuck back in to it when I got back to the UK. It is still a long time since I have done any sustained study.

I will be doing a part time BSc in health informatics (if all goes well) which fits well with my current job in the NHS. I guess I am not going to be going on many play dates while doing this. :wink:
Reply 390
only just found the mature student forum lol

Im jen, i'll be 26 in a couple of weeks. Going to UCLAN to do Photography. it's my absoloute passion and pretty much my entire life lol.

soo excited now!
Reply 391
Hi there,

I'm Zsuzsa, 34, from Hungary, living and working here in England for some time now. Last October I had my first baby :smile: and from Sept/ Oct 2009 I am starting a course at Anglia Ruskin University, BA Hons English language teaching and English language. I have secured a place just have to see my circumstances.

Have a good day.
>phew< Quite relieved to see so many mature students about here, though I'm still somewhat dazed by all your impressive previous degrees.

Right, I was meant to introduce myself: 41 years old, have applied but not yet been accepted for an HNC in Computing. In fact; I have to go into Inverness College on Thursday to complete a Grammar test and an ESOL writing test before they will even consider me. The reason why I am required to do this is because I am origionally from Denmark. I have lived in Scotland for 20 years and feel I have a fair grasp of the language. Well put it like this; if I fail any of the abovementioned tests please don't tell the guy I proof read for. :hmpf:

I am pretty scared about becoming a full time student; I afraid I will find that I am nowhere near as clever as I had hoped not to mention the daunting prospect of attending college classes full of bright young things. Yeah.

But anyhow, good to be here. I look forward to get to know you all. :biggrin:
lilyfern
Good luck with your application, hope you get in.

Thank you so much lilyfern, I'm going to be gutted if I don't. I just hope I'm not aiming too high. The college does offer other computer courses, I'd just really like to do the HNC right away.

lilyfern
P.S. I have spent many, many happy times holidaying in Inverness and the surrounding area. Lovely spot to live! :yep:

It is lovely here and we have had a lovely warm spring here, I even managed to get a tan before May was out. :biggrin:
lilyfern
Fingers crossed for you, but at least you've got those other courses to fall back on, just in case.

I do, and I am happy about that. It would just a bit of a downer to be told you've aimed too high. But with the support of my fellow TSR members I should soon be able to cheer up again. :biggrin:

lilyfern
I spent a whole summer camping in Drumnadrochit a few years ago, it was absolutely fantastic, we were supposed to be there for two weeks and ended up staying for three months :biggrin:

Aah yes, that's what the place can do to you. I first came to Scotland when I was 19 and ended up moving here when I was 21. Well, I fell in love with a Highlander - and as they say; the rest is history.
lilyfern
I did get proposed to buy a gorgeous barman in a small pub up in the highlands but given that he was totally drunk at the time and I'd only known him for five minutes, I unfortunately had to decline :tongue:

Aww shame; we might have been next door neighbours if you'd said yes. :p:
lilyfern
I'm coming back for another visit in 2011, there might still be a chance! :biggrin:

Oooo good stuff; and remember to bring a white dress, just in case. :wink:
Reply 397
Hi, I'm Laura, I'm going to Chester university in September, I'll be 22. Really looking forward to it.
Reply 398
Hello, I'm Lee, 28 years old and returning to education after 10 years of caring for a poorly parent. Pleasedtomeetchya.
Reply 399
Hi I'm Jess and I'm looking to begin an Undergrad in Psychology in 2010..
I'm 24 and have put off getting my degree since my mum passed away 4 years ago. I've now decided to get on with it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending