The Student Room Group

Mature Students (21+) Chat

Scroll to see replies

Hello all! I'm 23 and will be attending the University of Edinburgh in September to obtain an MSc in the Biodiversity and Taxonomy of Plants. I graduated with a BSc in Biology and Chemistry in 2010 and am returning to education because, well, let's face it: it's kind of impossible to find any employment opportunities in botany without a postgraduate education.
Reply 741
Hello! I am 41 and a hopeful to go back to school for a late postgrad. I'm very nervous about the whole thing from application through acceptance (hopefully) and through the course - but much more than that I'm really excited!

I already have an Honours Bachelor of Science (though with only average grades) from a Canadian University which I finished in 1995 and a Master of Library and Information Science (with an "A" average this time) from another Canadian University which was awarded in 2001.

I've been working as a librarian since 2001 (and in libraries as a paraprofessional since 1993) and am now the director of a community library in Canada. I'm Canadian and American (born Canada but one of my parents is from the States so I get both citizenships) and I've lived in both countries.

My great and very ambitious hope is to be accepted to the MPhil in innovation, strategy and organisation at Cambridge and then go on for the PhD (very ambitious - it's got around a 13% acceptance rate only!). Somewhat insanely, one of my biggest worries about the idea of moving to the UK for the course is trying to dream up a way to bring my two cats because alternately I'll have to find a family member to trust to take care of them!

Also very oddly, especially in this economy, I would be leaving a good and stable job to go back to school. Which I know is crazypants, I know, but it's fulfilling a dream.
Good morning! I introduced myself on the official TSR welcome thread but thought I'd introduce myself on here too.

I'm Tom, I'm 21 and have recently been accepted on an Access to HE course at one of my local colleges, I chose to study English Literature, History and Politics as my three main areas of concentration. I'm hoping to get into Cambridge at the end of the course. I know its going to be very tough getting in but I am willing to put every ounce of effort into my studies.

Before I applied for college, I was a full time carer to my father who has MS up until my mum retired when I turned 20. Been unemployed for over a year (numerous placements and concentrated job searches included) until I decided to turn my life around while I'm young enough. At school I wasnt particular bothered about education but I guess as I'm getting older I value it more and more.
Reply 743
Hello I'm Sammy, I'm 42 I've just received offers for both the subjects I applied to read at Wolverhampton uni. I've just finished college which I started this February, doing NVQ level 2 Business Admin and ITQ level 2, ECDL and just completed NVQ level 3 Business Admin and ITQ level 3. I won the Second Time Around Award at college which was unexpected and fabulous.
I am trying deciding between Religious Studies/ Sociology and Religious Studies/ Philosophy. I'm so excited.
Before returning to college I cared for my son for a year, who was badly injured in a motorbike accident, which inspired me to change my life. Previous to my sons accident I worked as a Housekeeping Supervisor in a hotel.
We can achieve anything if we want it badly enough, age, background is no barrier! :colondollar:
Original post by Libshan
Somewhat insanely, one of my biggest worries about the idea of moving to the UK for the course is trying to dream up a way to bring my two cats because alternately I'll have to find a family member to trust to take care of them!

Also very oddly, especially in this economy, I would be leaving a good and stable job to go back to school. Which I know is crazypants, I know, but it's fulfilling a dream.

Doing much the same thing! I'm 44, from the US, moving to the UK for the MA History program at Exeter. Leaving my cat with my Dad while I'm gone and it breaks my heart to have to be apart from her. Also leaving a stable (though not so good) job with a very generous and beloved American corporation to go back to school. But, like you, this is fulfilling a dream and it's where I know I need to go next in life. Have no kids, no husband/significant other, nothing to tie me down, so why not just go for it and follow my dreams?

Best of luck to you, Libshan! Hope you find someone to properly care for your kitties!!
Reply 745
Original post by SpeedwayCJ
Doing much the same thing! I'm 44, from the US, moving to the UK for the MA History program at Exeter. Leaving my cat with my Dad while I'm gone and it breaks my heart to have to be apart from her. Also leaving a stable (though not so good) job with a very generous and beloved American corporation to go back to school. But, like you, this is fulfilling a dream and it's where I know I need to go next in life. Have no kids, no husband/significant other, nothing to tie me down, so why not just go for it and follow my dreams?

Best of luck to you, Libshan! Hope you find someone to properly care for your kitties!!

Thanks! And good luck to you! Where are you in the States? Did you go to undergrad there? I'm originally from Canada, but one of my parents is from the States and I have dual cit. and I've lived in both (Michigan, Washington and Ohio in the US and Alberta and Ontario in Canada)
I'm a Southern California native. Did my undergrad at Cal State Fullerton, graduated in 91. Have my BA in Communications: Radio/TV/Film. Back in those days I was all about the film industry; history (outside of film history) couldn't possibly have been less interesting to me. But, it was a movie that sparked a massive maritime history interest for me, so I guess things have come full circle, in a sense.
Reply 747
Original post by randomfemale
i've applied to do Access in september and been offered a place. i'm a VERY mature (45) student and I'd like to go on to do a degree in English afterwards. I think I'm going to be the oldest person on the course, if not in the college! :rolleyes:

Nope I am a newbie:tongue: and must be the oldest,im 53 and starting BA(Honours) Philosophy and Psychology :biggrin:
Hi everyone :hide:
Original post by helen2011
Hey, I am 25 this year and I'm hoping to go to uni to study nursing...I'm slightly terrified I'm gonna be the only mature person living in halls! x

Hi, Just seen i few of your posts, I'm 23 and gonna be living in halls so dont worry it will be fine :smile: I'm doing adult nursing at Leeds aswell :biggrin:.
Hi, im hoping to study adult nursing at Central Lancashire University in 2013, when I will be 25 xx
Reply 750
Hi, I'm Mike, I'm 26 and I'm an alcoholic...... Oh wrong thread.....

Just finshed an access course last month and am starting a 4 year masters degree in Chemistry at Southampton in Oct, can't wait.
Still feels kind of wierd that 8 years ago I came out of school with a handful of B's and C's at GCSE because I was too lazy to do any coursework etc. and now I'm going to one of the top unis in the country to do a masters in one of the hardest degrees. Guess GCSE's aren't the be all and end all they were made out to be at the time lol :smile:
Hi all :smile:

Never thought I would find myself in this section but here goes... I'm 28, have already done a degree and a PGCE. I worked as a teacher for two years but came to the realisation that it was not the career for me so I handed in my notice and finished my job last week. My plan is to try and get a job as a healthcare assiatant/carer and then apply to study nursing, something which has always been on the back of my mind but for some reason (which I won't bore you with) I didn't pursue that path back then.
Reply 752
did I ever introduce myself, either way I'd do it again.

30 yrs old studying BSc Health & Social Care with the OU and work as a HCA for the NHS. Left school with average (for the time) GCSEs and went on to do an advanced GNVQ in Music Business then onto A Levels which I basically failed. Hated the foundation course I started so left and moved to London.

For years I have been undecided on what I really wanted to do as I have so many interests went from IT to Criminology to Molecular Science to finally Health & Social Care, either evening study or distance learning.

I finish my current degree in 2 years time and I'm thinking of going into Nursing if the trust I'll be working for will support me. Other wise I may do a distance learning degree with Portsmouth Uni or UEL (criminology) as there aren't really any health post-grad course I'm interested in. I might do a Maths degree with the OU over 10 years as a sort of hobbie lol
Reply 753
Hi Everyone,

I'm Lisa, I'm 28 and I'm just about to start a HNC Accounting course in Glasgow. I enrol on the 16th August and I'm so nervous about the whole thing! So glad I found this forum.

Until recently, I was in full time employment since leaving school at 17, but I had always wanted to study accountancy. After being made redundant a few months back I decided that it was now or never, so I applied for the course and to my surprise and delight was accepted. :smile:
Reply 754
Hi! I'm Vasso,28, from Greece! :smile:

I have a BA in Electrical Engineering - Electrical Engineering Tutor and i am going to apply for another BA to the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland in Technical and Production Arts! :groovy:

I am too excited just from thinking about studying that but also the anxiety from all the details needed to be taken care of is driving me insane! :bricks:
Reply 755
Hi everyone.

I'm about to submit my application to begin an MA in Staffordshire Uni (via Distance Learning) in September.

I'm 34 and don't have any University experience.
Reply 756
Hi everyone,

i'm 27, doing A levels- Mathematics, French, History and English Literature. Decided to take A levels rather than access course as i'm not sure yet what to study at uni.
I always wanted to go to a uni just..don't know, other things?
Reply 757
Hi all,

I'm 30 and just about to start the final year of my Humanities degree at Brighton. There are only a couple of mature students left on my course (most dropped out at some point in the last couple of years due to life problems etc.) so I thought this would be a good place to have a natter about grown-up stuff, and maybe pass on some advice to those thinking of coming to uni a bit later in life.
Reply 758
Hi All,

I'm 28, I will be starting access to Humanities & Social sciences in Sept 2012, and then do my degree in 2013.
Reply 759
Hi everone,
I'm 23 and contemplating returning to college in September 2013 to retake A-level physics and maths. To be honest, I'm really nervous about it. Anyone else feel the same?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending