The Student Room Group

Mature Students (21+) Chat

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gabriella.angeli
Hi! This is super nice!

Hello, I wish you happiness and well-being.

You do know that post is 8-9 years old lol
Hi!! I am 27. I am going to start the undergraduation in Aerospace Engineering, here in The Netherland. I studied physics before, but I did not finish my education. I am from Brazil and I have been living in The Netherland for 2 years. I think it wil be really difficult for me, I am litlle bit shy because I feel so old.The other students are between 18 and 22 years old.
Original post by GuanyinBuddha
Hello, I wish you happiness and well-being.

You do know that post is 8-9 years old lol

hahahaha did not see !!
I am 23 next month and as of October I will be studying a Open Degree with the OU working my way towards my dream of becoming a Primary School Teacher. :smile: x
Reply 1124
Hi!! I am 27. I am going to start the undergraduation in Aerospace Engineering, here in The Netherland. I studied physics before, but I did not finish my education. I am from Brazil and I have been living in The Netherland for 2 years. I think it wil be really difficult for me, I am litlle bit shy because I feel so old.The other students are between 18 and 22 years old.

Olá. In my country (Portugal), it's very common to find students who are older in Engineering courses, either because they've returned to education or because they went to university at 18 and weren't prepared for the rythym of work and failed some subjects. So, don't worry about your age, you'll be fine.
Original post by Klaas
Olá. In my country (Portugal), it's very common to find students who are older in Engineering courses, either because they've returned to education or because they went to university at 18 and weren't prepared for the rythym of work and failed some subjects. So, don't worry about your age, you'll be fine.

Bom saber disso! Obrigada! Eu sei Que é bobagem se preocupar com isso. Haha
Hello, I am 45 years old, a married mother of 2 children juggling two part-time admin jobs. I have just applied for a full-time BA History with foundation year. With a handful of GCSE's, some evening class study and NVQ3 qualification the prospect is frightening to say the least! Other than having a strong interest in the subject, I don't feel that prepared for the work ahead. Rather than do an access course, I have decided to start with the Foundation year which is better for me financially as I will get maintenance grant & loan. My university of choice is considering my application but has asked for a 1000 word essay on a certain subject which is so they can determine my level of skill. I have never written an essay in my life! My gut reaction is to (a) passionately rattle off the required 1000 words on the subject as I see it then the admissions department will see a true picture of where I'm at. Or are they expecting (b) a perfect, well-researched piece littered with citations / references/Bibliography etc.., in other words my perceived level of a first year student..? I could tackle the second option and make a pigs ear of it, but it wouldn't be an accurate representation . It is, after all, a foundation year I'll be doing so don't want the Uni. to be under the impression I can enter as first year student instead, on the other hand don't wish to disgrace myself as not even ready for foundation. Any thoughts, please?
Original post by geminirooster
Hello, I am 45 years old, a married mother of 2 children juggling two part-time admin jobs. I have just applied for a full-time BA History with foundation year. With a handful of GCSE's, some evening class study and NVQ3 qualification the prospect is frightening to say the least! Other than having a strong interest in the subject, I don't feel that prepared for the work ahead. Rather than do an access course, I have decided to start with the Foundation year which is better for me financially as I will get maintenance grant & loan. My university of choice is considering my application but has asked for a 1000 word essay on a certain subject which is so they can determine my level of skill. I have never written an essay in my life! My gut reaction is to (a) passionately rattle off the required 1000 words on the subject as I see it then the admissions department will see a true picture of where I'm at. Or are they expecting (b) a perfect, well-researched piece littered with citations / references/Bibliography etc.., in other words my perceived level of a first year student..? I could tackle the second option and make a pigs ear of it, but it wouldn't be an accurate representation . It is, after all, a foundation year I'll be doing so don't want the Uni. to be under the impression I can enter as first year student instead, on the other hand don't wish to disgrace myself as not even ready for foundation. Any thoughts, please?

I doubt whether they will expect perfect referencing, as you can't be expected to have studied at this level before. However, it won't hurt to back up any arguments with citations from sensible sources. They will be looking for a well-structured essay with an introduction, conclusion, and a logical flow between paragraphs. Write in the third person, impassive voice, and get somebody else to proof-read it. Write in Arial 12 with 1 1/2 line spacing. Good luck, I bet you'll ace it.
Reply 1128
Bom saber disso! Obrigada! Eu sei Que é bobagem se preocupar com isso. Haha

Eu diria que é normal. Tenho 24 anos e vou entrar este ano na universidade e também me sinto assim, apesar de o meu principal objetivo ser o curso, tenho receio de não conseguir aproveitar o lado social da universidade, também não quero estar para ir às aulas, por isso estamos todos no mesmo barco. Penso que o importante é ir de mente aberta e tudo vai correr bem. Muito boa sorte! :smile:
Original post by Schadenfreude65
I doubt whether they will expect perfect referencing, as you can't be expected to have studied at this level before. However, it won't hurt to back up any arguments with citations from sensible sources. They will be looking for a well-structured essay with an introduction, conclusion, and a logical flow between paragraphs. Write in the third person, impassive voice, and get somebody else to proof-read it. Write in Arial 12 with 1 1/2 line spacing. Good luck, I bet you'll ace it.

Thanks so much Schadenfreude65 for taking the time to reply. Think the font and spacing's the only thing I'm confident of getting right! I've done a rough copy with some ideas so it's off to the library tomorrow for some reading to quote, then drafting away! :smile:
Reply 1130
Hello Everyone! :smile: I have recently joined the site this afternoon. I am 28 year old starting a HNC in Computing & Software Development in September 2014 with a hope to start University in September 2016 studying Computer Science. I work full time with a boring desk job so I thought a career change was in order in something I enjoy the most, Computers! I'm being optimistic at the moment but I feel excited and ready for a change! Tim.
Hi Tim! :smile:
Hello!

I will be 38 when I start my Access to Science course in September. I am aiming to attend Sheffield University to study Astrophysics.

Very excited but also slightly terrified at returning to the classroom after a very long time away.

Good luck to everyone!
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi!

I'm 23 - 24 the day after the term starts - and have applied for the Access to Social Sciences / Humanities course at my local college. I'm hoping to apply for Social Anthropology and History 2015 entry; I have my eyes on SOAS because their syllabus is amazing and very specific to where I would like to go in the future. I've worked as a support worker since leaving school, and would maybe like to go into community development :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi,

I'm Ben, 29, soon to be 30.

In 2013 I completed and passed a Combined studies Access Course, which provided me with a ticket to study English Language & Linguistics at York St John University, my first choice!

The reason I decided to return to education is because I felt I needed some mental stimulation, and also to turn the belief that I couldn't be a uni student around. Furthermore, improving my job prospects was a big incentive.

So here I am. It's gone pretty well so far, and I'm amazed how fast the first year has gone!
Original post by Colin_T
Hello!

I will be 38 when I start my Access to Science course in September. I am aiming to attend Sheffield University to study Astrophysics.

Very excited but also slightly terrified at returning to the classroom after a very long time away.

Good luck to everyone!
Hi Colin. Excellent choice of subject there. :biggrin: I'm starting Astrophysics at RHUL in September, having just completed an Access course. I just had a look at Sheffield's requirements. You will need 36 distinctions, all in maths and physics, plus 9 merits, so if you haven't already done so, check with your college that they offer enough credits in those subjects to meet the requirements.
Hi

I'm 37 and have just completed an Access to Health and Social Care course after a LONG time out of education. I have a place on the Mental Health Nursing course at the University of Cumbria starting in September.

The access course was a lot of fun and have passed with 48 or 51 distinctions and 6 or 9 merits (one module I'm not sure if its a merit or distinction), along with a couple of level 2 Maths. Nobody expected that least of all me, LOL.

Along side the access course I have retaken my GCSE English and am awaiting the results for that.
Original post by Schadenfreude65
Hi Colin. Excellent choice of subject there. :biggrin: I'm starting Astrophysics at RHUL in September, having just completed an Access course. I just had a look at Sheffield's requirements. You will need 36 distinctions, all in maths and physics, plus 9 merits, so if you haven't already done so, check with your college that they offer enough credits in those subjects to meet the requirements.

Thank you for posting this. I have spoken to the admissions staff before I applied to the Access course and also to some of the academics at the department at Sheffield's open day a couple of weeks ago about this. I've pretty much resigned myself to having to do the foundation year before going on to the Mphys.
Original post by Colin_T
Thank you for posting this. I have spoken to the admissions staff before I applied to the Access course and also to some of the academics at the department at Sheffield's open day a couple of weeks ago about this. I've pretty much resigned myself to having to do the foundation year before going on to the Mphys.

Oh, that's a shame, but at least you will be really well-prepared when you do start. Good luck with the Access course.
Hi

Im sam, 26 nearly 27 with 2 children and im getting married next year. Im from South Wales and will be studying Law and Criminology at Swansea University this sept. I completed a Access to Social Welfare course 2013-2014 with 30distinctions, 18merits and merit in the project. I am so glad i returned back to education as i was stuck in a dead end job for 8 1/2years in a call centre and i really wanted to change my life around not just for me but for my family also! I am really excited to be going to uni in sept. New challenges, lots of new people to meet :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending