The Student Room Group

Mature Students (21+) Chat

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kingoftheting
I'll be 28 when I start my Journalism and Media degree at Birkbeck in September. Looks like I lose.

What type of career are you looking at getting into with your degree?
Original post by RuralRoo
You're never too old & it's never too late to do anything you want to do.
And the country is crying out for Nurses.
My mum is 62 has considered returning to nursing. It's a lifelong job, employed or not 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

In my class for my nursing diploma there was loads in 40s and 50s you cant really be too old for most health profesions
51, just finished work for master's at Cambridge.

Oh, wait... you wanted mature students.

Sorry.*
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1503
32 and starting medicine at Glasgow uni in Sept.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello everyone! 30yr old here. Graduated in chem.eng 9 yrs ago, should've taken master's but have to bring my two brothers into universities hence work first. Now they both finished their studies I'm starting to feel really excited - and a lot scared - to finally start master's in september. This time Materials Engineering.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi..27yr old (mature student 🙈) start my Access to HE Biological Sciences course in September. Plan to go on to Adult Nursing at LJMU after.
Was hoping to do some reading throughout the summer before it all starts. Any suggestions on where to start.?
Hi, I'm a 33 year old Food Science BSc student at Nottingham, just going into my final year after a year abroad.

Dropped out of my first degree after 3 months and promised myself I would go back when the time was right.
Hi all,

I'm a 34 year old mature student and I start an Access to HE Health Professions course this September, and I cant wait! I've been out of education for over 10 years and I've decided on a complete change of career so it's all a bit daunting.

Good luck to everyone who is in the same boat :smile:
Hey everyone. I am 27 years old, left school at 16 and then did a 1 year course in ICT before immediately going straight into work. I was a cake decorator for 8 years and a make-up artist for 2 years whilst working in a coffee shop. Been thinking about going back to school now for over a year so I finally applied to do the access to uni course in Biomedical Science starting in September. Just waiting to hear back. :smile:
Hi I'm Lucy and I'm 23 years old from Cheshire. I am starting an Access to Health course in September with a view to applying for adult nursing at university next year. I'm a single parent to a 5 year old and have no formal qualifications above GCSE level. I left school hoping to study A-Levels, however becoming an unexpectedly single parent made that difficult and I finally feel it's the right time to pursue my ambition to become a nurse. I will be working part-time alongside college so am hoping I'll be able to work hard to manage the workload of the course. Anyone else similar?Nice to meet you all :smile:
23 year old here, studying sciences and maths left school with 2 bs and a c, always done extremely well until my first set of a levels, should be back to my best come this results day after growing up a lot :biggrin:. Currently studying in a class with younger folk and there's nothing wrong with it!
Hiya, 25 starting diagnostic radiography in September 2016 at city university London! Excited but nervous 🙈
Hi,
I am 42 years old and when I was younger I was trying to figure out what I wanted to be when I grow up, then I decided to go for beauty school afterwards I worked a lot for several years on that area. When my daughter went to College in another city I felt alone so I decided to go back to College because another course was the best option for me. I decided to do a degree in languages at UEL (the best University of my state) and I am very happy to be here with younger people gaining knowledge and enjoying new experiences.
Hi
I'm 30 years old and I'll be attenfing LSBU in September (whoo hooo!!!) Its been a long time coming, as its taken me 3/4 years of getting 'no's', to finally be able to.say i start uni in Septemberjust sounds so amazing. I recebtly got narried 4 months ago also and have a 3 (almost 4) year old daughter. She's amazing, and my motivation to complete my course this time. I originally started a nursing degree in 2011, however fell pregnant the following February, which is why going back now means that much more to me. Looking forward to a new beginning...is it sad that I can't wait to start getting my stationary 🙄?
Hi all. I'm Rob, 28. I'm about to do a masters degree in Urban Planning at UWE. I graduated the first time a few years ago and worked ever since. My career was ok in my graduate years, but it was going stale. I figured I had nothing to lose by gaining more qualifications in something I was interested in. I always thought I might go back to do a masters at some point, and now on the 3rd year of me intending to do it, I am actually going to do it.

Up until a few days ago I had no nerves about it. However, now that I've sorted out my accommodation, got my joining instructions, handed in my work notice and organised the paying of all of this; it's all becoming a lot more real. I'm bricking it, frankly. I won't know a single person there. I will also be going from the youngest person on my work team, to being the oldest person in my house by at least several years. I know it's daft to dwell on ages, but I am anyway lol. I'm still excited about the new experience and I think I'll enjoy the course. I'm just so nervous about the life side of things again though.
Original post by Prof Fido
Hi all. I'm Rob, 28. I'm about to do a masters degree in Urban Planning at UWE. I graduated the first time a few years ago and worked ever since. My career was ok in my graduate years, but it was going stale. I figured I had nothing to lose by gaining more qualifications in something I was interested in. I always thought I might go back to do a masters at some point, and now on the 3rd year of me intending to do it, I am actually going to do it.

Up until a few days ago I had no nerves about it. However, now that I've sorted out my accommodation, got my joining instructions, handed in my work notice and organised the paying of all of this; it's all becoming a lot more real. I'm bricking it, frankly. I won't know a single person there. I will also be going from the youngest person on my work team, to being the oldest person in my house by at least several years. I know it's daft to dwell on ages, but I am anyway lol. I'm still excited about the new experience and I think I'll enjoy the course. I'm just so nervous about the life side of things again though.

Hey Rob

What an amazing accomplishment to finally say you are actually doing your masters. Try not to focus on the unknown and more on the amazing experience you are going to have. There will definitely be people in the same boat as you and I'm sure your friends won't only consist of those on your course. I think the 'life side of things' will prove to be a pleasent surprise too if you're open to taking part in or getting involved in all parts of the uni experience e.g. being apart of a uni society. No matter what happens, enjoy your time and be open to whatever doors become open to you 😊
Hello all, I'm Alex, 30 and I'm from Stockport, Cheshire.

I will be studying on an Access course in humanities from September at Fircroft College in Birmingham. I hope to study Combined Honours in History and Japanese at Newcastle University, or, failing that, History on its own at York or Exeter.

I have, admittedly, done Access a couple of times before, only to drop out. This was more down to poor work ethic and a lack of commitment than anything else. I just wasn't willing to put the work in, and in hindsight, it's sad to think that arguably my best achievement was my UCAS application (five offers), which I went on to withdraw.

Since turning 30, it has definitely dawned on me that I have, in a sense, wasted a good decade of my life and that my sense of urgency needs to increase tenfold. As this will be my third time on Access, I am taking action, this time and will be studying at a residential college (hence the move to Birmingham) and will be treating it as an academic boot-camp, of sorts. Enough's enough, now, third-time lucky!

Any other mature students who have suffered from motivational difficulties or are re-taking Access, reply or PM me, as it would be interesting to share experiences or even help each out!

Best of luck to all.
Hi I'm Tracy ann 45 from West Lothian in Scotland. I am married and have two kids aged 10 & 17.

I start my access to teaching course at West lothian college in a weeks time. I have been out of education for 29 years 😨 so this is a scary but exciting new adventure.

Good luck to everyone 😆
Reply 1518
Hi! Im 35 & starting a Food Science MSc at Reading Uni! So excited... Im such a nerd! I have 2 primary age kiddies, am carer for the eldest, hubby works away: Sounds like a perfect situation LOL. Due to school, kids, virtually being single parent, I'm living off campus and driving the 52 miles in for lectures. Oh, and I'm doing it part time over 2 years. See... not totally crazy!
I have a biology BSc dated 2002, a science secondary PGCE from 2003, had a couple of relocations and ran my own business for a bit, but by far the toughest job has been raising 2 kids, especially when number 2 arrived within 48 hours of a lifechanging diagnosis for number 1. The kids are smart, happy, healthy (well-managed) and drive me round the bend, but being a stay at home parent for so long is very isolating. I went back to work at some colleges doing contracts and teaching A Levels, BTECs and Access... I was so envious of those adults who were engaging in learning and turning their lives around, so I started to look at uni open days (obviously not too far away) for inspiration. I didnt know if I needed to start over with an undergrad degree but the Food Science dept at Reading really struck a chord with me. They convinced me an MSc would be more appropriate, I took a good year to ride out hubby's various job changes and think it through, and now here I am. Ive done the online enrolment and I'm so excited; Im already studying a couple of hours a day to try and get up to speed on the background text. It would be great to meet other mature students, but I havent figured it all out yet. Must open some prosecco soon (Oh bugger, its not even 2pm!).
Faye xxx
Hi everybody, I'm currently 20 years old and will be starting an Access to Teaching Course at the end of September this year.

I left school with pretty good GCSE results, majority of A's/B's but wasn't sure what I wanted to study. Tried studying A-Levels for a couple of weeks, then transferred onto a Childcare course. Didn't feel like I fitted in with the people on the course and lacked confidence in myself, ended up leaving College after six months.

I have since completed a level 2 Business Administration Apprenticeship working for the local council and following that, worked 12 months in retail. I recently realised I was happiest volunteering as a classroom assistant during my childcare course/work experience at school and have decided to study something I am passionate and excited about. I'm hoping to become a Primary School Teacher, maybe by 2020!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending