The Student Room Group

I like my course, I like my uni, but I still want to drop out

The course and uni are ok. Whilst they're not fantastic, they're good and I don't think that I'd rather be anywhere else doing anything else.

But I still want to drop out. There are so many things that I've done wrong, that have gone wrong, that are going wrong... I just want to start all over again but this time properly. I'm massively behind on my work, I've got hardly any friends, i'm incredibly unsettled and just generally unhappy. I'm paying x amount of thousands of pounds for a degree that i'm not attending the lectures of because i'm just so fed up with everything and i'm not making the most of any of the opportunities available here. I'm just so exhausted by everything.

Any advice?
Think of the career you have planned for after university.

Ask yourself how much you want that.

The answer should be obvious after that.
Reply 2
My course doesn't lead onto a particular career. It has a few common areas, but none of them interest me.... I've always wanted to study at uni for the study itself, not the career afterwards (although obviously that will become important).

I enjoy most of the modules i'm taking, but I just want to read/study and discuss them for themselves, not simply for an exam... I did not think that uni would be like this at all.... I thought the hoop jumping for exams finished with school. I haven't had an actual discussion about anything academic since i got here...
What course do you do?
Reply 4
You're this far in - take your time deciding on the this.

Plan your work first - immerse yourself, make a timetable, stick to it. Once you catch up with this, or whilst doing this, try to get on good terms with your flatmates. Make an effort to be be in the kitchen at the same time as them, try and make conversation and that should be a start. If you get invited out, do your very best to go out with them.

Be strongwilled and attend your lectures.

if you try doing all this and still feel unsettled then consider talking to someone impartial at the university, I'm sure there are advice hotlines and things for this sort of thing exactly.

I dropped out of my first university after three weeks - I just new it wasn't right, I'm not at a university that I love and have very few issues with. Sometimes our first choice isn't always the best and we need to take time out to really address the issue.
i understand how you feel i thought my uni was the right decision for me. But i now know it is not. i live up north and i have come south. i am too far away from home to feel likethis. i'm on such a small corridor with peoplewho don't really choose to talk to me. The girl i felt close to has abandoned me for these otherpeople i've tried to make friends with people on other floors but bcause i'm out of sight out of mind i often get forgotten its reall hard for me as i have lost so much confience. in my view uni is supposed to develop you, it isn't here. i've decided that the bestoption for me is to leave.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending