The Student Room Group

stage fright

(edited 13 years ago)
you said yourself that you know you can do it, that's the biggest step towards actually doing it, getting over the mental barrier

i believe in you :hugs:
Reply 2

^ What she said :cool:
See if you can get hold of their rehearsal CD or something, so that you know how the music goes before you start actually trying to play it yourself. Also remember: in theatre, the musical accompaniment is secondary. You're not going there to be a concert pianist: you're just the backbone of the musical accompaniment. The focus won't be on you, so fudge as much as/where/when necessary. That's what I did when I was the pianist in my school's production of West Side Story. Since I was the only one playing my part, it didn't matter if I adjusted it a little of jazzed it up a bit!

Good luck! :smile:
Original post by marie1304
yeh my friend wrote it all - he's actually amazing - sending me the music i'm playing it over and over i've learnt 6 pieces so far, uhh backbone, i just dont want to screw it up, these guys have been working on it so hard and they're my friends! hah i cant fudge! :P i have to play with a band, most of the solos are just leading into the songs...i have never done this before i'm so freaking out!! i keep drinking milk to calm me down o.O

Of course you can fudge! What I mean is you don't have to play every single note perfect or 100% what is written. At the end of the day, if it sounds pretty similar to what the band expect and it's in the right key, that's the main thing. The only things you'd have to play 100% right or thereabouts is any cues that the actors on stage would be expecting. Such is the life of the show pianist :cool:
If your friend wrote it all, and nobody knows what it's supposed to sound like anyway, then just don't worry- chill out! Nobody in the audience will notice if you make mistakes, and everyone in the cast know that you've had literally 0 time to practice the part, so they'll understand if anything does go wrong :-)
i get mega stage fright (i'm a pianist) ... i've just been called in by a friend as an emergency pianist, i have tonight to learn an entire score of music for a 2 1/2 hour pantomime.....

i can do it, i know i can.... and i dont want to let my friend down....

so. how do i calm myself down and not back out like a complete wuss :/

believe in yourself!

just don't look at the crowd when doing the performance, just picture yourself playing the piano in your room on your own.
Reply 7
nobody in the audiance cares or propley notices you anyway, there watching the performance then listening out to the live music with it.
they will only notice if you make mistakes, so if your really good, then you have no worries.
Relax! At least you dont have to sing or talk! Just concentrate on the keys and you'll be fine!
Reply 9
i get mega stage fright (i'm a pianist) ... i've just been called in by a friend as an emergency pianist, i have tonight to learn an entire score of music for a 2 1/2 hour pantomime.....

i can do it, i know i can.... and i dont want to let my friend down....

so. how do i calm myself down and not back out like a complete wuss :/

No, you really can't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending