The Student Room Group

Pro's and Con's Of Living In Student Halls

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheSownRose
So if someone said to you that you could live in halls for a year, but would be put to death after your lease was up, you'd choose living in halls?

The alternative is living at home, but still being alive after a year.

Bit of a weird question haha
Think they meant over any alternative :biggrin:
Original post by Summer_Lovin
Bit of a weird question haha
Think they meant over any alternative :biggrin:

Well, they have alternatives, just curious to see if their dedication to halls stands up. :wink:
Pros:
- Easier to meet lots of people at the start.
- All bills in one = convenience.
- Generally on campus/easy to get to campus from them.
- Access to security staff, all that jazz.

Cons:
- Likelihood of living with at least one total ****stain is high.
- Noise. All the time.
- Institutional. Fire drills (always in the middle of the ****ing night!), inspections, etc.
- Generally more expensive than renting privately (and yes I am considering bills when I say that).

If I could have my time again, I would never have lived in halls. But that's just me personally.
Reply 24
I guess it's not that great for introverts then. :s-smilie:
Original post by No Man
I guess it's not that great for introverts then. :s-smilie:

The exact reason I decided against halls. :wink:
Reply 26
pro - independance
con - you will be ill 99% of the time
Pros:
- Independence - nobody to nag you if you decide not to go into a lecture
- Very sociable
- CAN be closer/quicker access to campus - it's not always, for example, at Leeds, Boddington halls is so far away that you definitely need a bus pass, and the traffic is so dense at Headingley all the time that it takes ages to get in
- Means your family make a fuss of you when you do decide to come home to visit

Cons:
- more expensive
- you could end up living with people who make it very difficult. I, for one, live with two pigletts who made the kitchen so mad that the rest of us used to take our food into our room because it was so unpleasant to eat there
- nobody to look after you if you become ill - My experience re: the pigletts meant that the kitchen was in such a state I got food poisoning preparing my food in there. I definitely needed my mum that day!
- you'll probably have more free time as it won't be spent cooking, washing pots and clothes, and cleaning.
Reply 28
Original post by littlehobbit
Pro - social side - so many people / parties etc.
Con - distractions when wanting to work / noisy when trying to sleep!

Pretty much hit the nail on the head.
Pros=the people
Cons=the people
Reply 30
Pros
- So many people and parties
- Cleaners clean your bathrooms/Kicthen (you wash your plates/dishes tho)
-All bills in one (Internet,electrcity,water,gas)

Cons
-People stealing your food, someone is definately going to steal your food at some point, dont be emotional when it happens,lol
-Most be people dont wash up after themselves,expect a filthy kitchen
-Lack of privacy, people want to be in your business and in your room
-Impossible to do you school work because of distractions, you cant get a minute to yourself
-Halls are a bit expensive
-If you dont get along with people in your flat you are in trouble
If you're at a London university, halls tend to be cheaper.
To those who have been through halls, how's the net? I can't live with bad net.
Reply 33
Are non-residents allowed to attend parties and/or visit people in student halls?
I'm thinking London Uni's, Southbank in particular.
Reply 34
Pros: meet people, have fun, usually closer to faculties.

Cons: Food, crap rooms, expensive.

Basically the living part of living in halls is crap, but the socialness of them is great.
Reply 35
I was at Sheffield Uni where most people live in the same place so based on that:

Pros
So so social, so easy to just pop round and see your friends.
Random funny events are common. :smile:

Cons
The messy flatmates who won't clean up.
The loud and drunk flatmates.
More expensive.

Living in halls is definitely part of the uni experience, you can't miss out! I miss halls so much now I'm in second year :frown:
Reply 36
Pro's

Lots of new people, easier to meet people and usually the halls are close to campus

Con's
More expensive usually
Noise
Curious, how do smokers go about at halls? Is it possible to smoke in your room ;o
Pros - Meet so many people.. I've met so many people in halls and people on different courses which is good. If you stay at home I've got the impression off people I know that you only really see people of your course.. I don't think that's true for everyone but it's like that for the girl I know.

I love the independence and the freedom. Also living really close to uni is great. And the community that you get in halls is really nice as well, there's always someone around.

Cons - Ending up with rubbish flatmates.. not everyone does but I have. (I just go to other people's flats all the time though) Noise, I hate it when people come in at 5am and make noise when I have to be up at 8 the next day. Also they are really expensive (mines are 90 p/w and that's quite cheap) and you have to pay for laundry etc on top of your rent.

But I'm so glad I moved into halls because it's such a good experience.. I wouldn't change it and stay at home if I went back :smile: x
Original post by Holly Hiskey
Pros- You meet lots more people
Depending where you are it can be cheaper than living in a house
You only have to move a few feet down the corridor to talk to your friends.
Bills, internet etc are all taken care of for you
You pay at the start of the term when your loan comes through so you don't have your student loan languishing n your bank account for three months begging to be spent.
For girls, getting ready in someone's room as a group before a night out is awesome.

Cons- Shared kitchen. Your food will probably be stolen.
All those people that you meet make a lot of noise. Like me, you may be unlucky and live next to a girl who enjoys frequent loud sex.
If there's someone you don't like it's impossible to get away from them.
Exam period can be hideous if your neighbours are inconsiderate
There tends to be one kid who only enjoys music if it's at full volume. This may not be true of all halls but it was with mine. In fact, since I lived between loud sex girl and loud music boy it was acknowledged that I definitely had the worst neighbours in our halls.

The guy in my flat in the room next door to me only likes music at full blast! The girl in the flat next door but her room is next to mine.. I'm sure she's always having sex! :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending