The Student Room Group

Opinion on mental disability/illness..

I have been doing a project on mental disability and illness as a part of my coursework. When I researched about this issue, I was shocked at the misconceptions associated with it...In fact, when I told people the extent at which mental disability affects people (25% of all people in britain), they thought that I was genuinely lying/ exaggerating. In these modern days, do people really think that mental disability/illness is like a disease which can't be treated? Are people repulsed by someone who is mentally disabled?

Please write down your opinion, I am interested in what you think...
Reply 1
I was diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder around 2002 and I can honestly say the perception and understanding of mental illness has improved ten fold since then in my experience. I don't remember the last time I got a negative response, people are generally really interested to hear about the details of my OCD.
Reply 2
makes me lol @ how retarded the concept of religion is
Original post by 22flowerpower22
I have been doing a project on mental disability and illness as a part of my coursework. When I researched about this issue, I was shocked at the misconceptions associated with it...In fact, when I told people the extent at which mental disability affects people (25% of all people in britain), they thought that I was genuinely lying/ exaggerating. In these modern days, do people really think that mental disability/illness is like a disease which can't be treated? Are people repulsed by someone who is mentally disabled?

Be careful throwing that statistic around. It's misleading. It's not 25% of the population, but 1 in 4 will experience symptoms of mental illness in their lives.

Not that the statistic has a legitimate primary source anyway.
Mental disability affects 25% of people or directly affects them? If how you quoted it was the original wording of the statistic then it really means nothing. 'Affects' in that sense can mean anything from someone having a mental disability for their whole life to having a relative who showed symptoms for a short time. You have to be very careful with what the statistic actually means. They're designed to shock people.
Also, what sort of mental disabilities are you referring to? There's a very wide scale.
Sorry I should have been more specific. I'm looking it up now and it seems that it is 1 in 4 people will go through mental disability once in their lifetime. Sorry about the confusion, 25% was just what I picked up in a conversation with the local charity representative.
Reply 6

its an interesting subject matter - cool thing to do a project on

i think you can probably diagnose more or less any 'unconventional' human behaviour as a mental disability - OCD, there's one that describes how most teenagers are (cant remember what it's called), etc so the figure doesnt really surprise me

people recognise mental disorders are a serious issue nowadays so it's become normal - even romanticised in some way.

its treatable generally, but is kinda scary in some cases (people talking to themselves or going crazy on the street, etc)

thats my view anyways
Reply 7
I think you need to look at the terminology you are using. Whilst it's apparently true that 25% of people experience mental health issues at some point during their lives, not all of those will be considered disabled (or consider themselves disabled) as a result of mental illness.

A person who suffers a bout of depression following a distressing event could be described as having a mental health issue, but are not likely to be considered to have a mental illness or be disabled as a result.
Original post by EvieMo
I think you need to look at the terminology you are using. Whilst it's apparently true that 25% of people experience mental health issues at some point during their lives, not all of those will be considered disabled (or consider themselves disabled) as a result of mental illness.

A person who suffers a bout of depression following a distressing event could be described as having a mental health issue, but are not likely to be considered to have a mental illness or be disabled as a result.

I agree, that is probably why the figure can never be accurate.
I agree, that is probably why the figure can never be accurate.

Kappa values for psychiatric diagnosis of individuals with certain conditions is tenuous, let alone a national epidemiologic survey.
it's clear that the entire concept of mental illness is made up.
Original post by EmManzo
its an interesting subject matter - cool thing to do a project on

i think you can probably diagnose more or less any 'unconventional' human behaviour as a mental disability - OCD, there's one that describes how most teenagers are (cant remember what it's called), etc so the figure doesnt really surprise me

people recognise mental disorders are a serious issue nowadays so it's become normal - even romanticised in some way.

its treatable generally, but is kinda scary in some cases (people talking to themselves or going crazy on the street, etc)

thats my view anyways

I agree that with your views and the fact that people are starting to understand the issue mental disability. From what I did on the project, people felt that they should take mental disability seriously but did not know why. And one of the main parts of my advocation was to highlight the myths and facts about mental health.
Original post by rajandkwameali

Do you mean that the concept of mental illness is made up because no-one can truly define it or do you mean otherwise?
Original post by rajandkwameali

I'm going to sit here with my popcorn and wait for this to kick off.
Yeah people generally think mental disability is not a big deal, it's ****ing disgusting attitude.
Do you mean that the concept of mental illness is made up because no-one can truly define it or do you mean otherwise?

I think it's made up since psychiatry is just a tool to oppress. This was its conception and modern function.

You're wasting your breath. This idiot will take you round in circles.
Reply 17
Very interesting piece of coursework.
I think there is a lot of effort by high profile figures, health professionals, charities and the government to prevent or treat mental illness. There have been recent campaigns highlighting the stigma attached to mental illness.
You only have to look at public figures such as Stephen Fry, Robbie Williams to hear of their stories and many other public figures are coming out about their experiences.
I think its more acceptable and there is a greater understanding among people nowadays and psychiatry in general than there was in previous times.

Yet, I think there are many misconceptions regarding mental illness. For example, The meaning of Schizophrenia...and the way people still use the word depressed to describe feelings takes the true meaning out of what 'depression' is.
Also, the other words such as 'loony bin' and men in white coats are still thrown about when there are no such victorian asylums around anymore and psychiatrists don't wear white coats.

I think people still hold some misconceptions due to lack of understanding of procedures and processes but psychiatry has moved on from its earlier years through greater understanding, research and developments in technology.
I believe that mental illness can be treated but we still do not know of the true causes of mental illness and still there is the age old nature/nurture debate.
In my view I don't think that people are repulsed by people who are mentally disabled as many people have known of someone who is, whether that be a friend, relative or professionals or celebrity. I don't think many people regard themselves as 'disabled' even.

I don't think the media help people's misconceptions of mental illness sometimes.
You only have to read the tabloid press or the daily mail to hear stories of VIOLENT SCHIZOPHRENIC KILLS etc....ANTIDEPRESSANTS CAUSE SUICIDE.
Most of the press regarding mental illness is based on a distortion of the facts of research and is sensationalist :smile:

Reply 18

You might find this interesting to read if you haven't already read it:

http://uk.wrs.yahoo.com/_ylt=A03uv8Z6cAFNCHsBOglLBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTBydXF0bjc3BHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDNQRjb2xvA2lyZAR2dGlkAw--/SIG=12ue7o4n4/EXP=1292026362/**http%3a//www.time-to-change.org.uk/system/files/World%2bWithout%2breport.pdf

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending