The Student Room Group

How hard is it to adjust to living on campus when you have a disability?

Hi,

So I've got bipolar I, and I'm ill physically half the time, but I really want to go back to university to do a masters. So I'm wondering: how hard is it adapting to university life if you have a disability?

I'm deciding between applying for an on-campus masters or one that's remote.

And additionally, how much would I be missing out if I did a remote masters as opposed to on-campus?

Or to consider the other side: How difficult has it been living away from your "support network"?

Because stress aggravates bipolar, I've been avoiding stress like the plague, but I don't want to spend the rest of my life keeping my head in a trench down waiting for life to roll on over the top of me.

I would love to hear experiences of disabled students who have done or are doing a masters.
Reply 1
Original post by cdo256
Hi,

So I've got bipolar I, and I'm ill physically half the time, but I really want to go back to university to do a masters. So I'm wondering: how hard is it adapting to university life if you have a disability?

I'm deciding between applying for an on-campus masters or one that's remote.

And additionally, how much would I be missing out if I did a remote masters as opposed to on-campus?

Or to consider the other side: How difficult has it been living away from your "support network"?

Because stress aggravates bipolar, I've been avoiding stress like the plague, but I don't want to spend the rest of my life keeping my head in a trench down waiting for life to roll on over the top of me.

I would love to hear experiences of disabled students who have done or are doing a masters.

I would highly recommended attending campus , as remote learning is isolating. I have ASD & ADHD and found in person learning valuable to my mental health and pushed me to do thing I normally wouldn’t . Go for it I say 👍🏻❤️
Reply 2
Original post by Welshleonc
I would highly recommended attending campus , as remote learning is isolating. I have ASD & ADHD and found in person learning valuable to my mental health and pushed me to do thing I normally wouldn’t . Go for it I say 👍🏻❤️

That's my feeling too. I want to meet people and go to places with people, not just be fed lectures and be seen as a face on a laptop on a table.
Reply 3
Original post by cdo256
That's my feeling too. I want to meet people and go to places with people, not just be fed lectures and be seen as a face on a laptop on a table.

University’s are accommodating to students with disabilities, speak to the disability student liaison officer , they’ll put your mind at rest .

Go for it , you’ll enjoy ☺️👌

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending