The Student Room Group

Should I stay or leave Uni?

I started Uni this year, doing Graphic Design and Contemporary Lens Media (basically photography). I've been geared towards graphics since my GCSEs, but since being here I've found I don't like it. The work load is ridiculous, and normally I can cope with a lot and I'm fine. I don't like most of my lecturers, which makes it so hard to do work - one of them is so hopeless that she briefed us wrongly and then down graded us because we hadn't met the requirements of the brief.
My flat is fine to live in, but my flatmate in the room next to me has a selfish attitude, she does whatever she likes when she likes. We've had hoovering at 1am and 6am, she comes back at about midnight every day and makes loads of noise for literally hours. She has friends over every day, usually about five or six of them, and they bang against my wall so hard that I've had things fall off my shelves. Obviously I can't sleep or do work when this happens - I've complained 3 times now and had meetings with the accommodation team but they're not doing anything about it. If I speak to her she just shouts and gangs up on me with friends.
The three guys in my flat come home once or twice a week with loads of people they don't know, at about 4am and literally shout as loud as they can for a couple of hours and trash our flat, banging on our doors and going through our things. We get no apology, even though normally we all get on well and respect each other.
The only thing that is getting me through is the thought of going home for Christmas. But I won't have that to look forward to in January when I come back.
My other passion is cooking - I did well at GCSE and A Level so I could probably make it easily onto a level 2 or 3 course in cookery, and they do the courses at my old college so at least I'd be somewhere familiar. I've also found a foundation degree there which basically teaches you cookery and business too so you can run your own restaurant.
So should I stay or go? I'm terrified of making another wrong decision, but I'm on the edge of depression by staying here. Sorry this has been such an essay, just really need some advice. Thanks x
You hate your course.
You hate your lectures.
You hate your housemates.

You don't need one of those magic 8-balls to realise, "All signs point to yes."
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by sparki015
I started Uni this year, doing Graphic Design and Contemporary Lens Media (basically photography). I've been geared towards graphics since my GCSEs, but since being here I've found I don't like it. The work load is ridiculous, and normally I can cope with a lot and I'm fine. I don't like most of my lecturers, which makes it so hard to do work - one of them is so hopeless that she briefed us wrongly and then down graded us because we hadn't met the requirements of the brief.
My flat is fine to live in, but my flatmate in the room next to me has a selfish attitude, she does whatever she likes when she likes. We've had hoovering at 1am and 6am, she comes back at about midnight every day and makes loads of noise for literally hours. She has friends over every day, usually about five or six of them, and they bang against my wall so hard that I've had things fall off my shelves. Obviously I can't sleep or do work when this happens - I've complained 3 times now and had meetings with the accommodation team but they're not doing anything about it. If I speak to her she just shouts and gangs up on me with friends.
The three guys in my flat come home once or twice a week with loads of people they don't know, at about 4am and literally shout as loud as they can for a couple of hours and trash our flat, banging on our doors and going through our things. We get no apology, even though normally we all get on well and respect each other.
The only thing that is getting me through is the thought of going home for Christmas. But I won't have that to look forward to in January when I come back.
My other passion is cooking - I did well at GCSE and A Level so I could probably make it easily onto a level 2 or 3 course in cookery, and they do the courses at my old college so at least I'd be somewhere familiar. I've also found a foundation degree there which basically teaches you cookery and business too so you can run your own restaurant.
So should I stay or go? I'm terrified of making another wrong decision, but I'm on the edge of depression by staying here. Sorry this has been such an essay, just really need some advice. Thanks x

So you hate the course and lecturers, you hate your flatmates and you hate the university enough that you want to go home ... and you're wondering whether or not to leave?

At this stage and in your position, I would be signing all the forms to skedaddle.
Reply 3
I know, it seems like I should just leave, but things wouldn't be amazing back home either. I've been getting on much better with my Mum since I left, so things would definitely get worse with her again. I live an hour bus journey away from basically anywhere...joys of being in the country. Also, this year of Uni will cost me £8000 straight off, so obviously I need to bear in mind how much debt I'll be getting, and I won't get any qualification out of it.
I'm just very stuck...it seems that whatever I do, it's bitter sweet. And I also have no guarantee of getting a job for the rest of the year, or of getting onto a course in cookery either. Clearly, that will also cost money. And what if I don't like doing that either? How am I going to know what I like until I try it? Finding out that I don't like doing graphics at this level was a bit of a shock.
Thanks for your advice though.
Reply 4
Also, this year of Uni will cost me £8000 straight off, so obviously I need to bear in mind how much debt I'll be getting, and I won't get any qualification out of it.

I'm in the same position, pretty sure I'm gonna quit at Christmas, but am just seeing that as money lost and hope to find a job in which to make that back.
Reply 5
Original post by Feesh

I'm in the same position, pretty sure I'm gonna quit at Christmas, but am just seeing that as money lost and hope to find a job in which to make that back.

What are your reasons for leaving? Sort of same as me? Sorry for the questions, I just don't know anyone in the same position and need someone to talk to. Lecturers just try to persuade me to stay, probably to make the Uni numbers look good, and my family don't want to influence me and are leaving the decision totally to me.
I want to get a job too, but I also want to start a new course, so it will be hard to get the money back to pay off the debt from this year when I have to also pay for a new course. Are you thinking of doing anything else when you leave?
Reply 6
What are your reasons for leaving? Sort of same as me? Sorry for the questions, I just don't know anyone in the same position and need someone to talk to. Lecturers just try to persuade me to stay, probably to make the Uni numbers look good, and my family don't want to influence me and are leaving the decision totally to me.
I want to get a job too, but I also want to start a new course, so it will be hard to get the money back to pay off the debt from this year when I have to also pay for a new course. Are you thinking of doing anything else when you leave?

Don't worry about the questions, happy to answer them :smile:

I have a few reasons, the main one is that I don't enjoy the course. I'm doing Business Administration with Marketing and it is incredibly tedious, I couldn't stand 3 years of it! I haven't been to a lot of my lectures because of this.

Another reason, one I should probably be a bit embarrassed about is that I lost the majority of my student loan gambling :frown: so have hardly been out this term, meaning I haven't really made that many friends.

Finally, I am living in Gillingham in Kent and it is an absolute hole! Sorry if anyone on here is from there, but man it sucks!

I haven't actually spoken to my lecturers about quitting (mainly because I'm hardly ever there!)

I'm definitely not looking to going to university again, I just don't think it's for me. So I am currently applying for jobs where I live (not Gillingham!)

It's a big decision to make, I just think if I carry on and carry on not enjoying it throughout the degree then that's 3 years of my life wasted and then I could get hit by a bus the day after finishing!

Anymore questions just ask :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Feesh
Don't worry about the questions, happy to answer them :smile:

I have a few reasons, the main one is that I don't enjoy the course. I'm doing Business Administration with Marketing and it is incredibly tedious, I couldn't stand 3 years of it! I haven't been to a lot of my lectures because of this.

Another reason, one I should probably be a bit embarrassed about is that I lost the majority of my student loan gambling :frown: so have hardly been out this term, meaning I haven't really made that many friends.

Finally, I am living in Gillingham in Kent and it is an absolute hole! Sorry if anyone on here is from there, but man it sucks!

I haven't actually spoken to my lecturers about quitting (mainly because I'm hardly ever there!)

I'm definitely not looking to going to university again, I just don't think it's for me. So I am currently applying for jobs where I live (not Gillingham!)

It's a big decision to make, I just think if I carry on and carry on not enjoying it throughout the degree then that's 3 years of my life wasted and then I could get hit by a bus the day after finishing!

Anymore questions just ask :smile:

Sounds like you're pretty set on going too then. And that's something I thought of too - if I'm not enjoying my degree, what's the point in getting through 3 years of it just to have a career that I won't enjoy either. I don't want to be unhappy for the rest of my life.
I think I'm just scared of going home in case I don't get onto a new course, or if I do, that I'll end up not liking that either. There aren't many jobs going around where I live, and it's hard for me to get to places without spending half my wages on travel. I'm just so stuck, it seems like either way I won't be completely satisfied.
I think whatever I decide, I just have to stick to it and never look back. I can't keep doubting myself.
So are you just not going to go back after Christmas then? I'm thinking I'll spend Chirstmas hols making my mind up firmly, but I'm sort of scared to make a decision :s-smilie:
Reply 8
Sounds like you're pretty set on going too then. And that's something I thought of too - if I'm not enjoying my degree, what's the point in getting through 3 years of it just to have a career that I won't enjoy either. I don't want to be unhappy for the rest of my life.
I think I'm just scared of going home in case I don't get onto a new course, or if I do, that I'll end up not liking that either. There aren't many jobs going around where I live, and it's hard for me to get to places without spending half my wages on travel. I'm just so stuck, it seems like either way I won't be completely satisfied.
I think whatever I decide, I just have to stick to it and never look back. I can't keep doubting myself.
So are you just not going to go back after Christmas then? I'm thinking I'll spend Chirstmas hols making my mind up firmly, but I'm sort of scared to make a decision :s-smilie:

Yep definitely not going back after Christmas, although I have to pay rent until the summer as being the idiot I am I signed a 12 month contract!

When I was first considering quitting I knew that if I wasn't enjoying it at Christmas I wouldn't come back. That's because after a month back at home, I wouldn't have wanted to come back and would have acted like a petulant little child to get my way if anyone disagreed with me!

Hope you make a decision that you don't regret, it's a big choice so spend time thinking about it.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Feesh
Yep definitely not going back after Christmas, although I have to pay rent until the summer as being the idiot I am I signed a 12 month contract!

When I was first considering quitting I knew that if I wasn't enjoying it at Christmas I wouldn't come back. That's because after a month back at home, I wouldn't have wanted to come back and would have acted like a petulant little child to get my way if anyone disagreed with me!

Hope you make a decision that you don't regret, it's a big choice so spend time thinking about it.

Well thanks for just sharing how you feel. I'm struggling with not having anyone to talk to who is in the same position as me. Would you be able to keep posting when you start sorting out leaving and going through the process?
After another sleepless night last night because of a very noisy flatmate, I'm pretty set on leaving. We've also got loads of work to do over Christmas, as much as we would normally have, which I can't fit in at all. I think maybe this was just bad timing for me and that I need to get away and think about what I want in my life. Let me know how things go for you :smile:
Anyone else have any advice at all?
Reply 10
I think you need to carefully consider this. One I think in the long run it will benefit you, we not in the bestest of job era's but in due time it shall pick up. I understand the part you don't even want to follow that career as such but at the same time it's more or less a backup plan for the future :smile:
Look at things in the long term and ask yourself whether you would be happier as a chef or a graphic designer. If you're dream is to become a graphic designer, would you regret letting your flatmate and your lecturers get in your way?
Reply 12
Original post by heeheehee_ha
Look at things in the long term and ask yourself whether you would be happier as a chef or a graphic designer. If you're dream is to become a graphic designer, would you regret letting your flatmate and your lecturers get in your way?

I don't know...I'm so confused :/ I'm worried that either way I'll make a wrong decision because I made a bad one in going to Uni in the first place...it's not as if I am enjoying the course, I can't cope with the work load and I'm struggling to enjoy my art and photography any more.
I think maybe I need to leave during the Christmas break, and I'll apply for the chef course in the mean time (but I can opt out at any time), and I'll use the rest of this year earning some money and just giving myself some space to think seriously about where I want to go in my life. Does that sound reasonable? I don't want to rush into anything, but I have to decide within the next week really so that I can either get my Uni work done in time, or get my application in for the chef course. What do you think? Thanks.
Stick it out.
Reply 14
I've also been in a very similar position. All my extra curricular activities, subject choices and prioritising over the last 4 years have been geared towards me getting onto a costume design degree. I chose to do my art foundation this year at LCF in London, which is basically what I've dreamt of since I was 14... After getting in against a lot of competition, I hated it. I've never been more miserable in my life, for pretty much the exact same reasons as you. I've always worked extremely hard and over-produced in all my art projects, but staying up til 2am most nights working on my sketchbook, on a PRE-DEGREE course, was too much for me - especially when I am unlikely to earn much money unless I'm extremely successful... So I dropped out a month ago, and after a serious think, decided to reapply this year to English Lit. So far, I feel like it's the best decision I could have made, and I don't regret it at all :smile:. I also now have a job in a bank, which actually pays surprisingly well, so hopefully I'll earn enough this year to fund my first year or so of my degree!

So long as you think cookery course would lead to a feasible career path, do it! Life is full of unexpected twists, but I think the most important thing is that you can earn enough to live on, and that you're happy :smile:.
I don't know...I'm so confused :/ I'm worried that either way I'll make a wrong decision because I made a bad one in going to Uni in the first place...it's not as if I am enjoying the course, I can't cope with the work load and I'm struggling to enjoy my art and photography any more.
I think maybe I need to leave during the Christmas break, and I'll apply for the chef course in the mean time (but I can opt out at any time), and I'll use the rest of this year earning some money and just giving myself some space to think seriously about where I want to go in my life. Does that sound reasonable? I don't want to rush into anything, but I have to decide within the next week really so that I can either get my Uni work done in time, or get my application in for the chef course. What do you think? Thanks.

I think it sounds reasonable, many people decide their course is not for them, the sooner you realise, the better. Maybe you should go for the chef's course, with that there are so many things to aspire to such as being head chef in a really nice restaurant or owning your own restaurant. Like you say you can opt out. You can always continue with art and photography as a hobby and if you decide you want to go back to it you don't necessarily have to go back to university- for creative subjects a degree is not a measure of talent. Just make sure you research the chef's course carefully before you decide to commit to it- you don't want to encounter the same problems that you had at uni.
Reply 16
Hiya! I'm also in the same situation as you... well something similar anyone. Firstly, after reading your thread, it seems clear what you really want - no more university. Youre not happy on your course, with the uni or your flat mates. If this was me, my decision would be made so much easier! Remember that its a 30000 pound debt to gain something that you may not even use, especially if youre already doubting your passion for it. However this depends on your mindset. Im very much a person who would rather go for a career in something i am passionate about and would love, regardless of the pay. If youre aim in life however, is to make lots of money, can you ignore the fact that youre not especially interested in it anymore and just see it as a means to a high salary?

Now I'm giving you all this advice and self riteous chat but tbh i think I'm more screwed up over this than you are! I started uni in September doint a different course. Settled into my halls and made some of the best friends i could have ever hoped for. Seriously my flatmates are what is making uni for me. So yeah i enjoyed all the nights out and social stuff but by the 7th week i was literally counting down until i went home. I miss my home comforts - my cat my job my car.. even my parents. And then t here's the course. I changed once from a joint honours in journalism and spanish to journalism and english lit within the first 3 weeks. I was much happier with english. But now ive discovered i really dont like journalism. To be successful in this career you have to have a driving passion to want to know things. but i just dont have that and tbh i really dont care enough about it. So basically when i go back to uni, ive got to make the decision of either going through all the hassle to change my course to just english literature (which will involve a messed up timetable and twice the work load this semester) or dropping out and following a passion ive been pushing aside for a while now.

I have a love for animals and would love to work with them day to day with a view to one day travelling abroad to do conservation. Obviously, an english degree would have no bearing on this, and tbh would be a waste of time as when i finished uni id have to start training to get a completely different qualification.

So basically, what do you think i should do? Just get on with uni, with no goal at the end of it, where i could end up disregarding the degree i paid 30000 pounds for and going in a completely different direction? OR drop out of uni and get the experience i need working in a local zoo?

I'm so stressed and think I'm becoming depressed over this decision. I can't even think straight anymore. So i need some opinions :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending