The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Student Exchange in Glasgow - Help?

Hi :smile: I am thinking of studying in Glasgow in 2012 (either your semester 2 Jan-June or the full year from Sept 2012 - June 2013 or whatever the dates are). I'm from Australia. I have a few questions.. I'll be 21 then so does that mean I can't do the freshers thing, and I'll be in third year Law by then so am I technically not new even though I'm new to Glasgow (uni of Glasgow). And can exchange students get accommodation in the halls?
Is it hard to meet people in Glasgow, I'd hate to be sitting around alone for a year :P And would 6 months or a year be better? I want a snowy Christmas xD

And is Law good at the Uni of Glasgow? Is it hard? All our exams here are open book it's more about applying the law than memorising it.. so I'm scared if in Scotland they are closed book I'll fail everything :P Can you take a language (Dutch) as an elective? (We can't here)

And does the semester end by May? Like if I wanted to attend the Eurovision in May, would I be in the middle of exams?

Sorry for so many questions I'm trying to decide on a country/city! Would London be better? :s-smilie: I am not that into clubbing..
Original post by OdeliaRanuni
Hi :smile: I am thinking of studying in Glasgow in 2012 (either your semester 2 Jan-June or the full year from Sept 2012 - June 2013 or whatever the dates are). I'm from Australia. I have a few questions.. I'll be 21 then so does that mean I can't do the freshers thing, and I'll be in third year Law by then so am I technically not new even though I'm new to Glasgow (uni of Glasgow). And can exchange students get accommodation in the halls?
Is it hard to meet people in Glasgow, I'd hate to be sitting around alone for a year :P And would 6 months or a year be better? I want a snowy Christmas xD

And is Law good at the Uni of Glasgow? Is it hard? All our exams here are open book it's more about applying the law than memorising it.. so I'm scared if in Scotland they are closed book I'll fail everything :P Can you take a language (Dutch) as an elective? (We can't here)

And does the semester end by May? Like if I wanted to attend the Eurovision in May, would I be in the middle of exams?

Sorry for so many questions I'm trying to decide on a country/city! Would London be better? :s-smilie: I am not that into clubbing..

I've gotten to know quite a lot of international students this year through the 'International Banter' group, and I know there's also the international society for meeting people. International students have an orientation week before Freshers where there are lots of opportunities to meet other people. Age doesn't matter for freshers' week and 21 really isn't old.

I know some people that are just about to leave, and some that are staying for the whole year; those that only picked semester 1 are all really sad about leaving and wish they'd done another year! I'm not sure about accommodation; I know some internationals staying in halls and some who've gone private. Quite a few stayed in youth hostels the first week until they got some friends and found a flat.

You're not guaranteed snow, but a friend from Australia did see her first snowfall a fortnight ago, which was fun :smile:

Re. law, it's a good degree, but it's hard work. Closed-book, though some subjects let you have statutes for reference. I'm not sure if you'd be allowed to take a language - it's an option for us, but don't know if you were only there for the year. I don't think Dutch is taught at the uni anyway.

Again, the law school are good for organising get-togethers for international students, and there was a weekend away in October for them.

Hope that helped!
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending