The Student Room Group

Tonsillitis

Scroll to see replies

I feel sorry for anyone who has tonsillitis i used to get it all the time till i had them taken out :frown:. My recommendation is fruit pastil lollys eating them and letting them melt on your throat is really soothing and keeps u distracted for a little while.
I just had my tonsils out, but I never had tonsillitis as painful as you've described. I would go to the doctor and describe how bad it is, and they will prescribe you some proper painkillers. In the meantime when I had tonsillitis I was advised to crush aspirin, dissolve it into water and gargle. Also get the max strength Strepsils that have some mild anaesthetic.

But go to the GP, there is no point suffering when you don't have to.
Don't chat **** u dickheead
Original post by Bigbadbossman
Don't chat **** u dickheead

It was important for you to revive a four-year-dead thread to chip in with this contribution.
Original post by Beska
I am pretty sure I have tonsillitis, and have had for the past 5~ days. The reason I didn't go to the GP originally is because I thought it was just a some peculiar symptom of a hangover, and any bouts of sore throats I've had before usually go within 2 days. I also didn't have (still don't) the energy to get up, get dressed and go. Is there any rule of thumb which says viral/bacterial lasts longer than the other?

Ibuprofen or paracetamol don't really touch the pain or swelling, and local anesthetic sprays (Difflam (Benzydamine Hydrochloride) or Ultra Chloraseptic (Benzocaine)) don't really work at all (but they usually do for me).

It is extremely difficult to impossible to swallow without extreme pain, and as my nose is blocked I have to breath through my mouth which irritates my throat for some reason. It is very difficult to sleep, I wake up every 10-20 minutes (I suspect whenever I swallow, the pain usually 'jolts' me awake) and I have an aching neck.

N.B. I have drank about ~5 L of water in the past 4 days.

tl;dr: I am not really in the state to go to the GP right now and wondering on any advice you could give.

IVE GOT THE EXACT SAME THING RN (just self diagnosed myself with viral tonsillitis cos I have a cold as well as an extremely painful sore throat)

What did you find was best for treating it? (Diffuselam?)
Original post by mercuryman
IVE GOT THE EXACT SAME THING RN (just self diagnosed myself with viral tonsillitis cos I have a cold as well as an extremely painful sore throat)

This thread is 7 years old. You're better off starting your own thread.
Original post by mercuryman

As somebody else has already mentioned, this is and old thread and you are much better off making your own if you want responses.

If you think you have tonsillitis though I suggest you make an urgent appointment with your GP. That or call 111. You may need antibiotics to treat it which you can only get on prescription.
Tonsillitis and other infections may not seem like much of a big deal, but they can develop into something very dangerous and will often need prescribed treatments so it's best to see a GP for them.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by Kindred
As somebody else has already mentioned, this is and old thread and you are much better off making your own if you want responses.

If you think you have tonsillitis though I suggest you make an urgent appointment with your GP. That or call 111. You may need antibiotics to treat it which you can only get on prescription.
Tonsillitis and other infections may not seem like much of a big deal, but they can develop into something very dangerous and will often need prescribed treatments so it's best to see a GP for them.

Good luck :smile:

Contrary to this advice I would say that in healthy individuals, most people with tonsillitis do not require antibiotics, and those that do gain very little in terms of speed of recovery and reduction of complications.

Most cases of tonsillitis are better managed with simple self-help measures such as regular paracetamol and ibuprofen, keeping hydrated and salt water gargling.
Original post by Etomidate
Contrary to this advice I would say that in healthy individuals, most people with tonsillitis do not require antibiotics, and those that do gain very little in terms of speed of recovery and reduction of complications.

Most cases of tonsillitis are better managed with simple self-help measures such as regular paracetamol and ibuprofen, keeping hydrated and salt water gargling.

Thank you for this. I wasn't trying to say that you always need antibiotics or that it's always a big deal, but I can see now how it could easily be taken that way.
What I was trying to get across is that it is worth seeing a GP for, especially if it's really painful or has been going on for a long time since it can be serious in some cases.
Personally, I have some more squeed views on tonsillitis since it had serious complications (quincy) for a friend and I have a bit of a naff immune system so was affected relatively significantly from mine.

But yes, self-care and advice from a pharmacist is good for standard cases.
On the whole with a simple infection (as you said) keeping it clean, some salt water, and keeping comfy is enough. But if it does go on for a long time or seems more serious that's when going to a GP, getting antibiotics etc is more applicable.

Thanks again for pointing that out. I went a bit internet scaremongering there :colondollar:
Reply 29
Found the perfect solution:Penicillin Nurofen plus The Nurofen plus with Nurofen and Codeine works wonders. Right up until a few hours ago I couldn’t talk, I couldn’t swallow anything (not even water) and I could hardly sleep.. then I decided to try these and within half an hour I was able to use my mouth normally. It still hurts a little to swallow but it’s not a hopeless kind of pain that makes you wanna kill yourself. Be careful though and don’t use for more than three days as it may cause addition

Quick Reply

Latest