The Student Room Group

Do I have tonsillitis? HELP

Soo 2 days ago I felt like I was getting a cold. Came home and realised that I had difficulty swallowing, checked and my tonsils were inflamed. I also have little white stuff that I think are tonsil stones on my inflamed tonsils but I’ve been reading online and it’s telling me it could be bacterial and that I would need to be put on antibiotics for that. I’m not in pain and just want advice on what to do
If it doesn’t get better in 3 days I’ll be giving the gp a visit..
Anyone had tonsillitis before? I’m in my early 20s too if that helps.
Original post by Anonymous
Soo 2 days ago I felt like I was getting a cold. Came home and realised that I had difficulty swallowing, checked and my tonsils were inflamed. I also have little white stuff that I think are tonsil stones on my inflamed tonsils but I’ve been reading online and it’s telling me it could be bacterial and that I would need to be put on antibiotics for that. I’m not in pain and just want advice on what to do
If it doesn’t get better in 3 days I’ll be giving the gp a visit..
Anyone had tonsillitis before? I’m in my early 20s too if that helps.

Based upon the information you have provided, yes you have tonsillitis. This is not a medical diagnosis (TSR's Community Guidelines specifically state that users must "not attempt to diagnose specific medical conditions").

Instead, it's based upon the meaning of the word tonsillitis - which literally means "inflammation of the tonsils". So if your "tonsils were inflamed" (as you say) then yes, you have tonsillitis.

Visit your GP. They will be able to advise you as to whether or not antibiotics (if caused by a bacterial infection) would be appropriate or not.
Reply 2
I think going to see the GP or calling 111 if things don't settle over the next few days or start getting worse, especially if you are struggling with swallowing, is a good plan. The last time I had tonsillitis, I had pain and fever for 10 days and things just weren't getting better - once I got antibiotics, I was feeling better within 48 hours. Not suggesting you need antibiotics, necessarily, just pointing out that you definitely should get things checked out if things are not improving!

Hope you feel better soon!

Quick Reply

Latest