The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RollerBall
How difficult is it to get to UEA? A flatmate and I might be going up on the 9th of Feb to see Mastadon/Red fang/Dillinger escape plan as they're sold out in Brixton.

Bugger, was hoping to get to that. Can't be arsed to head too far off though.
Feeling low :frown:
Original post by digitalis
Feeling low :frown:

What's up buddy?

Original post by Mushi_master
Bugger, was hoping to get to that. Can't be arsed to head too far off though.

Yeah, I only found out today and Brixton is sold out. Everywhere is sold out apart from Glasgow and Norwich. Going to ring up Brixton to see if there's any tickets going though on hold or anything, will let you know if I do.

Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
That depends on where you're coming from :p:

If you're in London, it's simply a case of London Liverpool --> Norwich --> UEA (bus)

There's also a megabus that goes from Victoria --> UEA :dontknow:

Megabus? Is that at dodge times though? Otherwise there must be a national express coach... The train will otherwise go from stratford too right? Should be pretty easy to get there and back.

Pretty sure I've got the Friday off as well so I can go on a full on bender afterwards, not sure what Norwich is like on a Thursday night though?
(edited 12 years ago)

Megabus? Is that at dodge times though? Otherwise there must be a national express coach... The train will otherwise go from stratford too right? Should be pretty easy to get there and back.

Pretty sure I've got the Friday off as well so I can go on a full on bender afterwards, not sure what Norwich is like on a Thursday night though?

I've no idea tbh. And yeah there is National Express to campus too :smile: And yeah some trains stop at Stratford, some don't (I think it's every other train but you'd have to check)

Thursday night is student night in town so it should be alright. It's the weekend that can be a bit dodge :p:
I've no idea tbh. And yeah there is National Express to campus too :smile: And yeah some trains stop at Stratford, some don't (I think it's every other train but you'd have to check)

Thursday night is student night in town so it should be alright. It's the weekend that can be a bit dodge :p:

Tidy. The trains are going to be too early on Thursday night (last train 10pm) anyway so I'm going to have to stay in Norwich til 5am ish.

Now to convince one of my other flatmates who's get on exam at 9am on Friday morning that this is a good idea.
Original post by planetconwy1
Do any other medical schools have students do Structured Literature Reviews for SSC's or is it just here?

We do, but its a group literature review :frown:
So I live in halls again now.... :p:

Interesting times.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
We do, but its a group literature review :frown:

We do literature reviews, although they are our ARs (Analytical Reviews) rather than SSSs (the latter are 10 minute presentations on up to date research within the module currently being studied).

They are on set papers and we have one a module (so this year, 3) and they are of 2000 word length :smile:

Well mine is 3000 words on a topic we chose ourselves, i picked Medical Education so I decided to compare literature on Graduate Entry Medicine in the UK, which, to say the least is a bit dry.
Original post by Philosoraptor
So I live in halls again now.... :p:

Interesting times.

Comisserations
Cheers matey. Lets me verify my claim from the first sesh. I was finding trouble finding a paper I had access to that proved that long term recall was much greater from PBL than lectures.

Atm, I've settled on making a stir fry just because it's easy, I have some ideas for seperate slides and I think there's not a lot of scope for asking ridiculous questions. My only other major skills are computers and a quick presentation on computer hardware maintence would be the driest ****.

Oh ****, maybe I want to teach the 10 dimensions... Hmm...

I'll be really interested to see how this SC turns out actually. Sounds quite cool so far.

Re the teaching bit - have fun with it. When we did ours earlier in the year (the non clinical micro teaching session) people taught stuff like how to cook lobster, how to say basic phrases in various languages (quite a few of these), how to pronounce that freakishly long village in Wales (that was fun!), face painting, how to do different dance routines, yoga and origami. I taught people how to walk and talk like an East London rudeboi because quite clearly I know how they roll, innit! Mad skillz right there. Seriously mate, have fun with it! You can literally do anything just so long as you aren't speaking AT people for 10 minutes.
Original post by Lantana
Comisserations

Oh also - I wasn't living rent free at home :frown:

Mum is too poor also :frown:
Original post by Medicine Man
I'll be really interested to see how this SC turns out actually. Sounds quite cool so far.

Re the teaching bit - have fun with it. When we did ours earlier in the year (the non clinical micro teaching session) people taught stuff like how to cook lobster, how to say basic phrases in various languages (quite a few of these), how to pronounce that freakishly long village in Wales (that was fun!), face painting, how to do different dance routines, yoga and origami. I taught people how to walk and talk like an East London rudeboi because quite clearly I know how they roll, innit! Mad skillz right there. Seriously mate, have fun with it! You can literally do anything just so long as you aren't speaking AT people for 10 minutes.

How did they stretch out how to pronounce that village name for 10 minutes? What's wrong with speaking at people? That's what I'd be doing for the 10 dimensions thing but I was going to ask them part way through what X dimension was to recap, or to explain them all very briefly up to this point.
How did they stretch out how to pronounce that village name for 10 minutes? What's wrong with speaking at people? That's what I'd be doing for the 10 dimensions thing but I was going to ask them part way through what X dimension was to recap, or to explain them all very briefly up to this point.

She thought it through quite well actually. So she went through like the Welsh alphabet as a bit of a preamble to the talk and then taught us how to pronounce it one syllable at a time. Then she got us to say it back to her individually and corrected each of us one at a time. At the end she gave us a handout with the correct spelling of the village along with tips on how to pronounce each bit in case we forgot. I think I still have mine somewhere in my folder.

You might be doing something completely different to us so bear in mind I could be VERY wrong, but the whole point of our session when we did it was make us appreciate that when you teach people, you have to speak for a bit, get them to do something (some sort of student activity just so they don't die of boredom) and build in some sort of assessment/questioning tool to measure what is is they are supposed to have learnt. If you are in fact are doing what we did, then what you plan to do sounds fine - you are building in an assessment tool by asking them questions (and presumably offering some feedback if they get it wrong) and giving them some sort of student activity too. That's great stuff dude!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8753
She thought it through quite well actually. So she went through like the Welsh alphabet as a bit of a preamble to the talk and then taught us how to pronounce it one syllable at a time. Then she got us to say it back to her individually and corrected each of us one at a time. At the end she gave us a handout with the correct spelling of the village along with tips on how to pronounce each bit in case we forgot. I think I still have mine somewhere in my folder.

You might be doing something completely different to us so bear in mind I could be VERY wrong, but the whole point of our session when we did it was make us appreciate that when you teach people, you have to speak for a bit, get them to do something (some sort of student activity just so they don't die of boredom) and build in some sort of assessment/questioning tool to measure what is is they are supposed to have learnt. If you are in fact are doing what we did, then what you plan to do sounds fine - you are building in an assessment tool by asking them questions (and presumably offering some feedback if they get it wrong) and giving them some sort of student activity too. That's great stuff dude!

We do something very similar in year 2: I taught 'renin-angiotensin-aldosteron-system'. Doesn't seem quite as much fun as yours though.

Basically we've been tasked with a 10-15 minute presentation on teaching something. We haven't been given any imput what so ever. Apart from that first sentence. It can be literally anything we want. Atm I'm thinking either the 10 dimensions, stir fry or how to tie a tie. The former is the most interesting but difficult concept, the second is probably the least interactive and the latter is probably the most boring.

Then we have to teach something medically related a few days later again 10-15 minutes but building on the feedback we've been given from the first session.
Original post by Phryx
We do something very similar in year 2: I taught 'renin-angiotensin-aldosteron-system'. Doesn't seem quite as much fun as yours though.

We have to teach some medicine as well in subsequent sessions - the fun part was for the first two sessions, and it was only fun because people chose interesting things to teach. Tbh, at least you get to do a bit of teaching in the early part of your course - I would have loved that. We don't do much teaching until the final year (unless you are part of MESS, PAL, CLASS or any other student led study support society). Shame really. Teaching can be fun!
Basically we've been tasked with a 10-15 minute presentation on teaching something. We haven't been given any imput what so ever. Apart from that first sentence. It can be literally anything we want. Atm I'm thinking either the 10 dimensions, stir fry or how to tie a tie. The former is the most interesting but difficult concept, the second is probably the least interactive and the latter is probably the most boring.

Then we have to teach something medically related a few days later again 10-15 minutes but building on the feedback we've been given from the first session.

Sounds very similar to ours - except we didn't have to do a PPT presentation. Use the first session to test what teaching methods work or don't work for you. Don't stress out too much about what you choose to teach - focus on using the best teaching methods to teach whatever it is you decide on so as to yield the best possible outcome from your learners.

EDIT: Also the 10 dimensions sounds like a very difficult concept to grasp. I just wiki'd it and was like :lolwut:...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by crazylemon
I tend to only do teaching 1-1 at the moment. I don't have the any interest in lecturing anyone.

I have had to present to the whole year before which was painful.

A presentation in front of your whole year! Ouch. What year was this part of? I can't imagine them being uber mean (as if this wasn't mean enough) and throwing it in your first year!
Sounds very similar to ours - except we didn't have to do a PPT presentation. Use the first session to test what teaching methods work or don't work for you. Don't stress out too much about what you choose to teach - focus on using the best teaching methods to teach whatever it is you decide on so as to yield the best possible outcome from your learners.

EDIT: Also the 10 dimensions sounds like a very difficult concept to grasp. I just wiki'd it and was like :lolwut:...

Haha, it's really not that bad. Maybe it would be better if I taught it to you :tongue:
Anyone got any tips/books/websites for learning head and neck anatomy?

Latest

Trending

Trending