The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3380
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
Thanks :biggrin: And I think you are very lucky :yep: I'd be happy with that :wink:

One last question, when did you find out if you'd got it or not? The anatomy I mean?

Ah, well recruitment for anatomy sss worked differently then in that everyone in my pbl group who wanted to do it put their name in a hat and 2 were pulled out.
So it turns out George's are only allowing 10 medical students across years 2 - 4 to take up their external intercalated BSc offer. Apparently third and fourth years take priority since 'it's their last chance' yet academic ranking will play a big part in who goes out. It's ****ing stupid. Even though I'm ranked 13th in my year, 44 external offers have been made to students at George's and if priority is given to the older years, well then, I'm ****ed, right?

What is the ****ing point in working or trying hard any more? Seriously, it's a low blow. I spoke to the iBSc co-ordinator and all she could say was 'oh well you could reapply in the worst case scenario'. Yeah, no hassle or anything.

I find out between May 20th - 24th if I have final permission to go to King's. If I'm not allowed, do I have a case to take it up with the MDU?
Original post by i'm no superman

So it turns out George's are only allowing 10 medical students across years 2 - 4 to take up their external intercalated BSc offer.

:eek: That's ridiculous!! What's the reasoning behind it?
:eek: That's ridiculous!! What's the reasoning behind it?
Government funding, losses and whatnot. Basically money.

It feels like a complete waste of the last two years of my life.
So it turns out George's are only allowing 10 medical students across years 2 - 4 to take up their external intercalated BSc offer. Apparently third and fourth years take priority since 'it's their last chance' yet academic ranking will play a big part in who goes out. It's ****ing stupid. Even though I'm ranked 13th in my year, 44 external offers have been made to students at George's and if priority is given to the older years, well then, I'm ****ed, right?

What is the ****ing point in working or trying hard any more? Seriously, it's a low blow. I spoke to the iBSc co-ordinator and all she could say was 'oh well you could reapply in the worst case scenario'. Yeah, no hassle or anything.

I find out between May 20th - 24th if I have final permission to go to King's. If I'm not allowed, do I have a case to take it up with the MDU?

That's pretty dismal. Can you appeal if they say no?
Original post by Kinkerz
That's pretty dismal. Can you appeal if they say no?
I have no idea. I will make a big deal about it if they don't. I mean even if it's their last chance (4th years), why should students in our year and 3rd year be forced to give up their places and be told to reapply? If they're going to allocate external places, at least base it in such a way to actually give offer holders in 2nd and 3rd year a chance. They shouldn't have let us apply externally in the first place if the majority of allocations go to the older years anyway. Exams are in a month. This is seriously the last thing I need right now.
I have no idea. I will make a big deal about it if they don't. I mean even if it's their last chance (4th years), why should students in our year and 3rd year be forced to give up their places and be told to reapply? If they're going to allocate external places, at least base it in such a way to actually give offer holders in 2nd and 3rd year a chance. They shouldn't have let us apply externally in the first place if the majority of allocations go to the older years anyway. Exams are in a month. This is seriously the last thing I need right now.

I would appeal. Even if 4th yrs do have less chance of being able to intercalate later, you don't know what your chances of getting into Kings or whatever are next year if you reapply. They should have sorted out how many were allowed to apply externally before you all got your hopes up with receiving offers. Hope you get it sorted :hugs:
Original post by Hygeia

Original post by Hygeia
Ah, well recruitment for anatomy sss worked differently then in that everyone in my pbl group who wanted to do it put their name in a hat and 2 were pulled out.

Sorry, just thought of another question:

Are the STEP revision sessions any good, or would I be better spending the two hours revising by myself?
In other news, read the medreg's facebook page. Jesus wept.

BMA or your student union would be a better bet - this isn't really a medicolegal problem.

Wangers

I know. :eek:
What pisses me off more is some nurses going "Maybe if doctors were on the ward more..." Where the **** do they think we are? I honestly think that some nurses believe that if you're not on their ward you must be asleep in the mess/in the pub. You'd think they'd have got a grip on the idea of "on-call" by now...
Reply 3390
Original post by Wangers

Original post by Wangers

How the **** does this a)make sense in this context and b) have 6 likes?

You must have learnt by now ... Never upset the nurses!!
Original post by visesh
How the **** does this a)make sense in this context and b) have 6 likes?

The frightening implication of that post is that if you piss off the nurses, they will retaliate by trying to murder the patients.

Although I think it is more a case that a certain type of person posts the same damned thing on every MR post, regardless of context.
(edited 12 years ago)
Does anyone know of any useful online recap/revision sources for immunology?
Reply 3393
Sorry, just thought of another question:

Are the STEP revision sessions any good, or would I be better spending the two hours revising by myself?

No idea! Don't remember them ever running them for us tbh!
Original post by Hygeia

Original post by Hygeia
No idea! Don't remember them ever running them for us tbh!

Just realised the Year 1 one was this morning :colondollar: Ah well, at least I'll know if they're any good for future years :wink:
Reply 3395

who said about the priority thing?? if it's just a george's rumour, i'd allow thinking about it. if they decide to get anal about it, im sure you can take it up to the course coordinator, Dr Oliviera. iBSc coordinator hasnt got much of a power and Dr Mason i doubt would be any help. Oh and also check if you can make a course inturruption rather than actually go on iBSc.
Original post by Wangers

Got a link? I've looked before but there are quite a few and people always call them by different abbreviations.

If it helps, Barts are just as bad. I was fairly confident I could get an external offer to intercalate but was not convinced I could get a top 10 placement in the first two years with a zillion grads on our course. Shame really, especially since Barts' choice of iBsc is lacking to say the least.
(edited 12 years ago)
AKAIK UEA has one time when you can intercalate (between 4th and 5th) and you can do it as long as you're in the top two quartiles overall.

Although I'm sure Hygeia will correct me if I'm wrong :p:

That's actually ridiculous. I don't see how they can just dictate you all like that. It's your choice, and seeing as you have a place it's a bit of an outrage you shouldn't get to go.
Original post by RollerBall
Got a link? I've looked before but there are quite a few and people always call them by different abbreviations.

Enjoy.

Latest

Trending

Trending