The Student Room Group

MSc Finance Ranking 2011

Scroll to see replies

the financial analysis and fund management one? It is coupled with CFa studies which is 300-500 hours per exam, maybe this is why it is strenuous.

it is good because it will give you CFA 1 and 2. If you pass..... bare in mind you might not. CFA can be hit and miss.

18500 fees though....

It would be much better going to one of the top 5 universities for the prestige factor and the alumni network i think.

Also if you fail CFA while at Exeter you will cry!!!!
Reply 21
Hi Guys,

What do you think of the MSc in Finance at ICMA Centre, Henley Business School, University of Reading?

Heard that it's getting a lot of recognition and really doing well.

Any thoughts?
Reply 22
U know, I don't know if its really possible to make a ranking of MSc in Finance.... if u study finance, all you really need is strong backround in mathematics and learn it in depth. Therefore any university is able to provide a strong Msc in Finance. The quality -in my opinion, of course- will be measured by other variables such as grades obtained, 3 months employability (again, not a good variable) or quality of accomodation and professors's CV.
Reply 23
Ok after talking to interviewers friends in IB from front to back office jobs the list goes something like this...
1)Oxford
2)Imperial
3)Cambridge
4)LSE
5)Warwick

I have heard a lot of opinions but please before making any comment, always check the program structure and content...
Reply 24
Original post by LifeIsSuch
Hi Guys,

What do you think of the MSc in Finance at ICMA Centre, Henley Business School, University of Reading?

Any thoughts?

Yeah sure. u'r talking about the msc in corporate finance right? It has very good content and the centre is excellent, real diamond. From Tier 2 schools I would go for that for sure,
DrPhys I think it depends on what role you are going for and if it is post graduate or undergraduate studies. I[t is generally thought if you go to one of the top 5 or UCL for undergraduate you are in a target university.

For postgraduate I think it depends much on the role you are applying for. Although any of those 5 universities won't disadvantage you. LSE even thhough supposedly a postgraduate instituition has not got a good rep with its previous students, with low module selection you see alot of people boycott it for others on the list.

Oxford MFE is very very expensive, you have to take GMAT for this course too. Cambridge Mphil Finance is the only course that actually requires a first class to apply, it is very competititive but i heard it was theoretical and geared towards PHD. I still think Oxford Cambridge have a slight edge over the other 3 though.

Anything else such as MBS, Reading, Cass I would see as tier 2.
Reply 26
I agree with you Ineedaplace.

Oxford's disadvantage is the GMAT requirement. I am sure that the people there can judge if one individual has the quant skills required. High GMAT score doesn't proove anything. Other than that the Bschool and the program content is very good (MFE). Is very expensive I agree but somehow as expensive as Imperial's (27.5k).

Mphil in Finance I agree that is a prep for PhD or some hardcore coding in the backoffice of a Tier 1 IB.

LSE, yes...not as expensive as Imperial or Oxford. Great name but damn...the program content could have been better!!

Imperial or Oxford for me.
Original post by DrPhs
I agree with you Ineedaplace.

Oxford's disadvantage is the GMAT requirement. I am sure that the people there can judge if one individual has the quant skills required. High GMAT score doesn't proove anything. Other than that the Bschool and the program content is very good (MFE). Is very expensive I agree but somehow as expensive as Imperial's (27.5k).

Mphil in Finance I agree that is a prep for PhD or some hardcore coding in the backoffice of a Tier 1 IB.

LSE, yes...not as expensive as Imperial or Oxford. Great name but damn...the program content could have been better!!

Imperial or Oxford for me.

Why didn't you work for a couple of more years and go for LBS/INSEAD/Judge/SAID for an MBA? Seriously an MBA from those institutions will blow any finance programme out of the water.
Original post by LifeIsSuch
Hi Guys,

Any thoughts?

Hey M8,

I did my undergrad at the ICMA (ISIB). In terms of the ICMA Centre, I really liked it. Good place to be, nice surroundings. My lecturers were really good, my personal favorites were debt markets, and FXMM. Both corses were taught with a highly practical flavour and encouraged knowledge that wasnt tested in exams but for you to expand your horizons in finance as well.

For me the biggest down side, it just doesnt have the rep of the other tier one schools, had it been slightly better in that department, I would have done my masters there without a doubt. If you dont mind living in a town as well, then Reading can be an okay place to live. Decent transport to the uni, accomodation is okay (i stayed in the unite student accomodation in my third year, which I really liked).

I've just looked through the course content of the corpfin course, and I personaly thought it was strong. I imagine it wont be overly based on theory, but still challenging, which again, I liked.

If you have any decent work experience, and/or are willing to work hard on the application/networking side of things, I say it would be a decent choice outside of the top 6. Hope that helps. If you have any more q's on the ICMA in general just ask, cant comment too much on the masters courses cos I havent taken them, but I can still do my best
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Peaches182
Hey M8,

I did my undergrad at the ICMA (ISIB). In terms of the ICMA Centre, I really liked it. Good place to be, nice surroundings. My lecturers were really good, my personal favorites were debt markets, and FXMM. Both corses were taught with a highly practical flavour and encouraged knowledge that wasnt tested in exams but for you to expand your horizons in finance as well.

For me the biggest down side, it just doesnt have the rep of the other tier one schools, had it been slightly better in that department, I would have done my masters there without a doubt. If you dont mind living in a town as well, then Reading can be an okay place to live. Decent transport to the uni, accomodation is okay (i stayed in the unite student accomodation in my third year, which I really liked).

I've just looked through the course content of the corpfin course, and I personaly thought it was strong. I imagine it wont be overly based on theory, but still challenging, which again, I liked.

If you have any decent work experience, and/or are willing to work hard on the application/networking side of things, I say it would be a decent choice outside of the top 6. Hope that helps. If you have any more q's on the ICMA in general just ask, cant comment too much on the masters courses cos I havent taken them, but I can still do my best

Hey why go for a MSc Finance if you've done a finance bachelors? Surely the modules taught in MSc Finance will be the same as its a course designed for anyone? you should really think about an MBA like I am at the moment (got a job at hewitt consulting which should prepare me well for an mba)
:redface: i think a MSc finance is really more technical then an MBA? They are two different beasts.

Prospective economist gone from LSE -> Imperial -> nothing?

I am 95% Imperial, 5% LSE at the moment.
Reply 31
loooool:biggrin:
Original post by Ineedaplace
:redface: i think a MSc finance is really more technical then an MBA? They are two different beasts.

Prospective economist gone from LSE -> Imperial -> nothing?

I am 95% Imperial, 5% LSE at the moment.

But an MBA is the ultimate title to have to your name. Also the fat salaries are nice :colone:
not really the ultimate title. Also MSc + 3-5 years experience will earn you plenty if you climb the career ladder to associate.

Hewitt consulting vs risk to get into MBB. I do agree ideally you would

1) work in Bain

2) top MBA

3) climb career ladder.

But for me it goes really different.

1) work in corporaste finance

2) MSc Finance

3) work in BB

4) MBA

5) become associate etc.

6) PHD after retirement.

I guess everyone has their way of doing things :smile:
Reply 34
Isnt a MSc more technical than an MBA?
(edited 13 years ago)
yes but they are different
Reply 36
I wouldn't say MBA is the ultimate title...is just a Masters after all. Overpriced but Master...is not harder than a quant MFIN. Companies start paying less and less for MBAs now. Everybody can finish a good program i.e top 7 Bschools in the world. Doesn't require a particular skill...
Original post by DrPhs
I wouldn't say MBA is the ultimate title...is just a Masters after all. Overpriced but Master...is not harder than a quant MFIN. Companies start paying less and less for MBAs now. Everybody can finish a good program i.e top 7 Bschools in the world. Doesn't require a particular skill...

Compare the career prospects after an MBA and a Masters...need I say more?

Every university offers a Masters in Finance and any dick and tom can get into a top university like LSE/Imperial for a Masters provided they have a decent 2.1. For a top MBA you need excellent work experience at a top company, in addition to a high GMAT/academic grades. Not to mention the MBA interviews/application is much more tougher and rigorous.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 38
More often than not, a MBA is more hands-on compared to a masters degree. Guess it's just a matter of preference. Pretty sure the attractiveness of a Master vs MBA is marginal at best, if both are carried out in a top business school.

In Norway for instance you will have a very hard time even getting a relevant full time job without a masters degree due to the increased demand in post-graduate study (i.e. basically everyone has a MSc) which means you'd need a MSc in order to do MBA.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by suede
More often than not, a MBA is more hands-on compared to a masters degree. Guess it's just a matter of preference. Pretty sure the attractiveness of a Master vs MBA is marginal at best, if both are carried out in a top business school.

In Norway for instance you will have a very hard time even getting a relevant full time job without a masters degree due to the increased demand in post-graduate study (i.e. basically everyone has a MSc).

I agree!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending