The Student Room Group

Christian Music?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Saichu
Who cares about watching television, when your reasoning tells us that merely eating out of a TV dinner is enough to corrupt us under his influence.

Well yes, that too...

Sorry - do you mean eating food that was advertised in television or what?? :confused:
Reply 21
Hillsong United are AWESOME :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£
It makes perfect sense.

When rock first began to rear its head, the Christian church were so against it and called it evil and devilish - something not hard to believe then.

Now, it is incorporated into the Christian tradition too - hence Christian rock, pop etc - just because the lyrics speak of "God", does not necessarily mean it is "good"...

Your first post had nothing to do with what you just said; as such, it made no sense.

This is more easily explained by the Church being silly, rather than the rock bands being evil. If they were singing Satanic songs, you'd suspect that people would notice.

Edit:
Well yes, that too...

Sorry - do you mean eating food that was advertised in television or what?? :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_dinner
(edited 13 years ago)
Comeback Kid are alrate. I think they bum Jesus.
It makes perfect sense.

When rock first began to rear its head, the Christian church were so against it and called it evil and devilish - something not hard to believe then.

Now, it is incorporated into the Christian tradition too - hence Christian rock, pop etc - just because the lyrics speak of "God", does not necessarily mean it is "good"...

Thanks for exapnding on your point. I didn't get what you meant, but i can see where you're coming from now.
I'll leave this for someone else to debate, as i'm not actually religous, I just didn't get your point :colondollar:
Well i love most hillsongs songs :biggrin: They're so uplifting!

However atm im in love with Muyiwa and Riversongz ...he's a nigerian gospel singer and he's amazing!
One of few bands with a Christian identity that I find appealing is the alternative country band 16 Horsepower and following their break-up, the solo-act Wovenhand.

The spirituality that they express is intense and dark, harshly looking at the desperation of being human, and the anxiety of wishing for salvation. Their music is one of the most humane musical renditions of Christian themes that I have heard. Here is a sample of it.
Reply 27
Lifehouse - Everything is nice,
It makes perfect sense.

I think the main problem the church used to have with rock was the 'sexual' aspect to it, not the music itself - after all, how can a certain chord change or whatever be evil?
Christian music is, in my opinion, "good" when compared to a lot of other music out there, both in terms of quality and its content. If you mean the former, then the quality these days has to rival most of the mainstream music or it won't stand a chance.as. people are already biased against it because it is Christian. If the latter, I personally feel uncomfortable with music that promotes violence and/or sexism so to listen to music that promotes respect and talks about God is far better.
The church has always been somewhat 'of the world' - even the king James translation was modern and new once. It's easier to focus on the meaning if you're not struggling to overcome the barrier of unfamiliarity - either with words or music styles.

It also amuses me how Christianity is so often criticised for being out of touch ( songs of praise is a prime example - even I get bored by that show a lot of the time) but any time it tries to move with the times it gets shot down for being too earthly... that's the way of the world I guess.

Apologies for spelling/grammar errors - trying to type this on my phone :s
Original post by Beth Angharad
I love the usual artists, like Matt Redman, Tim Hughes, Hillsong... think my favourite Christian song has got to be The Stand. Also love Delirious, saw them a few years ago before they broke up, and they were incredible! :smile:

I was gutted when they broke up, never managed to see them :-(
Reply 30
Flyleaaaaf
Original post by charlottepattbc
I really like a lot of the American bands at the moment - Jesus culture and Israel Houghton for worship music, relient k, kutless, Tobymac and group 1 crew for other genres. Although that might be more to do with all my favourite British bands splitting up over the last year or two (yfriday, thebandwithnoname, delirious? etc).
I find listening to a soul survivor/spring harvest album really helps before an exam though :smile:

^^ This :smile:
Original post by Saichu

Original post by Saichu
Your first post had nothing to do with what you just said; as such, it made no sense.

This is more easily explained by the Church being silly, rather than the rock bands being evil. If they were singing Satanic songs, you'd suspect that people would notice.

Edit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_dinner

Oh, that is a TV dinner - many thanks. :h:

Yes, about my anti-Christian music posts - don't mind me, just feeling weird today.

I am not even religious or Christian, though my family may be. I just remember all of the nonsense that they were saying in my quasi-pentecostal church - if something is drummed in for a long time, then you begin to see the world in that manner: this is what happened to me before.

Now, however - I am fine. I no longer see the world in such a narrow way.

I will make you all at ease and vacate this thread - I am not supposed to be here, thus I will leave.

Goodbye and my apologies for interrupting.

(When I did listen to Christian music however, I particularly liked Don Moen, Hillsong and Matt Redman amongst others. :0 )
Reply 33
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by oreo1234
Flyleaaaaf

My favourite band. :biggrin:
Reply 35
Original post by PianoKeys4
My favourite band. :biggrin:

They're amazing! And I adore the lyrics even though I'm not actually properly religious =)
Reply 36
QOTSA - God Is On The Radio

Faithless - God Is A DJ

Vaski - God...zilla
Reply 37
Insane Clown Posse
Reply 38
Kutless!

I'm a complete atheist but they're still one of the most played bands on my iPod.
Reply 39
I reall love Hillsong-With Everything, its so beautiful and so uplifting. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending