Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Magic Circle are:

Allen & Overy
Clifford Chance
Freshfields Bruckhaus Derringer
Linklaters
Slaughter & May

They are the 5 most profitable firms in the UK. Average per partner profits are about 800k to 1.2m. If you get a TC at one of these, you're set for life and can pick and choose where you want to go. Firms just below the MC are:

Ashursts
Herbert Smith
Lovells
Norton Rose

These are all English international firms.
Reply 41
I believe that Queens is pretty good. :smile:

so, if someone went there, it wouldn't be impossible to get a job? (especially one in Belfast?)
Reply 42
Vitriol

Linklaters

i think my uncle worked for them
Reply 43
I'd say that Queens would be the first port of call for all Belfast firms. Bear in mind though that few, if any, of the major international players have offices in NI. You're most likely to find more local firms in Belfast. London is the place to be.
Reply 44
So where do you think I should apply? I dont want to live in London I want to stay in the Birmingham area.
Reply 45
viviki
So where do you think I should apply? I dont want to live in London I want to stay in the Birmingham area.

Wragges, DLA, Pinsents, Hammonds, Eversheds are major firms in the West Midlands. I can't think of any others off the top of my head at the moment.
Reply 46
Theres a DLA in Sheffield too I've already sent off for stuff from Eversheds i guess I will have to do a search for law firms in birmingham and see when I feel motivated. i dont really want to live in London but if I cant get a job locally I will consider it.
Reply 47
viviki
Theres a DLA in Sheffield too I've already sent off for stuff from Eversheds i guess I will have to do a search for law firms in birmingham and see when I feel motivated. i dont really want to live in London but if I cant get a job locally I will consider it.

I don't think anyone really wants to live in London. :wink:
Reply 48
Vitriol
I don't think anyone really wants to live in London. :wink:

I dunno some of my friends love it.
I've been told I can live in my mates bathroom :rolleyes: anytime so maybe i will have to move in. i would rather work in Birmingham and live just outside though.
Reply 49
The thing is, you can have a great lifestyle in the provinces on 30k whereas you need about 50k in London to achieve the same standard.

Plus, unless your apartment is right near the City, you have to endure 2 hours commuting on the bloody tube each day. :frown:
Reply 50
Vitriol
The thing is, you can have a great lifestyle in the provinces on 30k whereas you need about 50k in London to achieve the same standard.

Plus, unless your apartment is right near the City, you have to endure 2 hours commuting on the bloody tube each day. :frown:

True. i'm hoping to get a job in birmingham and then rent my cousins house cos she is going to move in with her boyf and then get the train in. Its about 20mins into Birmingham or I could drive. You can live in my area really comfortably on 25k

My mates in London spend a small fortune on their apartment and the cost of everything is extortionate. i make us eat at Burger King when I visit cos the pubs are about £15 for the cheapest meal. And its at least a £1 more a pint in comparison to home. Its not cheap :frown:
Reply 51
@ vitriol

initially i was gutted at being rejected by Durham and Bristol for law despite my grades and apparently "flawless" P.statement, however, your words have reassured me..so thanks!

i have offers from Manchester and Leeds and am waiting upon LSE. would you recommend accepting LSE ahead of those two should i get an offer (particularly as it is a London Uni) as it may help getting a TC at a big London firm. if i don't get an offer, which would you recommend out of Manchester and Leeds (i know Manchester is much higher in the league tables but does it mean much as i think i prefer Leeds' city and nightlife).

also, being from Nottingham i would hope to do my LPC at Nottingham Trent as i've heard its arguably the best in the country. is this true, and how competitive is it to get into ? (ie do you need a first and AAA ?)

thanks for your help mate,
azz
Reply 52
azz
@ vitriol

initially i was gutted at being rejected by Durham and Bristol for law despite my grades and apparently "flawless" P.statement, however, your words have reassured me..so thanks!

i have offers from Manchester and Leeds and am waiting upon LSE. would you recommend accepting LSE ahead of those two should i get an offer (particularly as it is a London Uni) as it may help getting a TC at a big London firm. if i don't get an offer, which would you recommend out of Manchester and Leeds (i know Manchester is much higher in the league tables but does it mean much as i think i prefer Leeds' city and nightlife).

also, being from Nottingham i would hope to do my LPC at Nottingham Trent as i've heard its arguably the best in the country. is this true, and how competitive is it to get into ? (ie do you need a first and AAA ?)

thanks for your help mate,
azz

A friend of mine went to Manchester and has a training contract at Slaughter & May. No doubt that it's a fantastic place to get a law degree and all of the major firms target the university. LSE also kicks ass and I believe it's ranked only slightly below Oxbridge.

Leeds is also a great uni. It is well targeted, particularly by the major national law firms and many of the big international City ones too. I'd say - choose where you want to be. They are all great univerisites and I doubt you'd have any problem getting a nice TC. Firms will generally just make sure that you've been a respected uniersity, have high A-Levels and a 2:1 or above. Meeting these requirements will get you interviews. Oh and don't worry if the firm you want doesn't target your uni. The recent economic downturn has led to their decreased participation at some uni law fairs. 2 out of the 5 firms I interviewed at didn't target my uni. :smile:

Regarding Notts Trent, confusingly known as Nottingham Law School: Basically, if you want a shot of getting in there, you need a 2:1 and AAA/AAB. However, even if you have these grades, there are no guarantees of getting a place. NLS is a provider of the City LPC. If you get a TC at one of the consortium firms (MC + Herbert Smith, Lovells, Norton Rose), you are required to take up a place at one of the City providers, those being NLS, Oxford Institute, BPP. If you didn't have a TC at a consortium firm, but still wanted to attend NLS, it'd be pretty tough. NLS, BPP and OXILP all reserve about 66% of their places for consortium firms and a further 15-20% are taken up by their CPE/ PgDL students who are guaranteed a place if they complete the course successfully. The competition for the remaining 10-15% is fierce and it will be luck of the draw if you get a place.

NLS is excellent, but by that stage you'll probably have a TC anyway so it won't really matter where you go. Some firms will have preferences, some won't. :smile: If you don't have a TC by the time you do your LPC, choose somewhere like Notts/OXILP/BPP or College of Law. It'll cost you about 8k though. :frown:
Reply 53
ah ok, thanks a lot for the help - particularly the stuff about NLC since i didn't know anything about it really, just hoped to get in so i can spend a year at home ! i think i'll take LSE *if* i get an offer.
Reply 54
i'm going to apply to clifford chance for my TC, i really REALLY want to work for them.
Reply 55
Vitriol
Magic Circle are:

Allen & Overy
Clifford Chance
Freshfields Bruckhaus Derringer
Linklaters
Slaughter & May

They are the 5 most profitable firms in the UK. Average per partner profits are about 800k to 1.2m. If you get a TC at one of these, you're set for life and can pick and choose where you want to go. Firms just below the MC are:

Ashursts
Herbert Smith
Lovells
Norton Rose

These are all English international firms.

is it possible to apply to all of those MC firms and then hope you are offered a place somewhere if you meet the requirements or is there a limit to the number of training contracts one can apply for?
Reply 56
CC have a swimming pool in the office. :biggrin:

No, there is no limit to the number of applications for TCs. I made about 20 I think, and got 5 interviews.
I've just applied to Uni and have got offers for Reading and Exeter Uni's. I'm still waiting on warwick for an offer.

I was just wondering what you thought about Exeter uni for law, will I stand a chance at getting a TC at a MC law firm. I really like Allen & Overy but I don't reckon I'll get in.

I probably get AAA / AAB in my A-levels, and just wondered what you thought about Exeter / Reading?
Reply 58
jumahumour
I've just applied to Uni and have got offers for Reading and Exeter Uni's. I'm still waiting on warwick for an offer.

I was just wondering what you thought about Exeter uni for law, will I stand a chance at getting a TC at a MC law firm. I really like Allen & Overy but I don't reckon I'll get in.

I probably get AAA / AAB in my A-levels, and just wondered what you thought about Exeter / Reading?

Check your PMs. :wink:
Reply 59
Now then, here we have 17/18 year old kids plotting their way into the 'magic circle', awed by the likes of 50K salaries at the age of 24 and inspired by the likes of on-site swimming pools and gyms.

That money comes at a heavy price. You have clearly yet to be introduced to the many horror stories of trainees and associates: 80 - 100 hour weeks; the infamous all-nighters; and the immense pressure of achieving around 1200 - 1600 billable hours each year.

It's always amusing to see kids of your age charge headlong into the city screaming: "Show me the money!". I know plenty of people who have sustained that attitude right through their training contract and even up to partnership. Understand the concept of a work-life balance and then make your decision. Clearly, this is not of direct relevance just yet, but it is worth bearing in mind as that grand scheme formulates within the back of your mind.

Latest

Trending

Trending