The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by aws
Why? he's had more of an impact of getting the masses interested/into science than say Alan Guth or George Smoot, who outside of people who follow phyics have heard of him?

Even top science people often cite Sagan as "the reason they got into science"

I'm sure someone like you would moan sagan wasn't accomplished enough as an scientist but at least he got the newer generation interested

Part of science is actually applying it. You can't really apply it if people don't understand it - people fear things like that.

So was Sagan an accomplished scientist? Hell yes.
I hate to break it to you, but more important things will happen in your life than A levels. :rolleyes:

They are in no way indicative of intelligence, and he has obviously proven himself since then.
Reply 22
Original post by 122025278
Like the other guy said, I think me meant in one exam and Bill Turnbull says something to him and Cox responds, you can't make out what they say to each other I think it might have been something along the lines of you retook it or something like that.

It probably was just one A level module and there's no doubt he'll be competant at maths, he probably just didn't try. If you had the ability to be the best mathematician in the world, but had never studied the syllabus for an A level maths paper, you would fail.

I don't think they would have had modules at that time if he did A levels before 2000. When did he do them?
Reply 23
Original post by jam277
I don't think they would have had modules at that time if he did A levels before 2000. When did he do them?

This.

He took A levels that are so far removed from the current crap system in place across the country. At a time when the exams were actually difficult, modules didn't exist and they were actively used to distinguish between people and very very few went to uni. When he took A levels they'd have studied for 2 years then done 2, maybe 3 final exams to give him the grade.

And yes, he went and was a member of D-Ream ["Things Can Only Get Better"] for a few years.
Reply 24
He was born in 1968. That puts him doing A levels in 1986. Back then, all As was somewhat more notable than it is now. My dad is only 3-4 school years behind him, and he says it was certainly an event that he got all As, whereas now so many people manage it that they've had to invent a new top grade. What I'm saying is that you can't really judge his grades by the standards we have now.
Another talentless tin-pot academic, but granted that slow voice and fresh(er) face popularised science a little more. Give him an Olympiad paper or IMO/IPO paper and he wouldn't have a clue. But then, many of them don't.
I knew about B.E.Cox years before most of you plebs had heard of him. He first took part in a documentary called "The 6 Billion Dollar Experiment" in 2007. He has a minor role, but that's one of the best Horizon's I've seen, torrent or youtube it
Original post by Physics Enemy
Give him an Olympiad paper or IMO/IPO paper and he wouldn't have a clue.

Who cares?
Original post by Nix-j-c

Original post by Nix-j-c
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12344973

How did he get onto a physics course at uni with only that?

or was that when a-levels were harder and virtually noone got 'A's?

Eistein failed school entirely!

Just because he got a D then doesnt mean that he was stupid. Many teenagers might not care then and later on "blossom". I remember I got a C in the equivalent of your GCSE's (I'm from Sweden) and to the equivalent of your further maths at A2 I got a big fat A :colonhash:, reason is I wasnt focused and didnt care about school before and do now.
Reply 29
Original post by mehhh.....hi.
It did just say 'A level maths exam' so maybe just the one exam.. and he re sat it... dunno though

A levels were just 1 exam back then if I remember correctly...maybe 2, 1 for pure and 1 for applied...
Reply 30
Original post by You Failed
What makes him better than any other physics professor, other than the fact that he's also a TV presenter, which has no bearing on his ability to do physics? I'm not saying he isn't, I'm just curious as to why the public hold him in such high regard when, as far as I know, he hasn't actually contributed major to physics (other than publicising it). Which puts him in the same position as most other physics professors. Why does he warrant the title of 'Absolute genius?'. I'm curious.

Secondly, no one's good at everything, true but you need to be pretty damn good at maths to do well in a physics degree. Obviously he's very capable, which is why it's surprising he got a D.

I never suggested that he was the greatest physics professor that ever lived, far from it. And I don't hold him in high regard as you wrongly suggested that the public do.
Brian Cox isn't exactly top of my list of 'established and great' physics professors' after all.

By saying 'Maybe he's an absolute genius', I was actually being a little bit sarcastic towards the OP, who seemed to suggest that without a few letters higher up in the alphabet on your resumé, you cannot achieve greatness at all.

And yes, he is clearly very capable, that goes without saying. And yes it is surprising that he got a D, but that goes back to my previous point. He might be damned good at maths and had a migraine on the day of his exam, maybe the moderator didn't like his handwriting, or god forbid he used a red pen instead of bog-standard black. Maybe, he doesn't like trigonometry or differentiation. Or even sequences. I can't recite the prime numbers up to 100 backwards, but I can expand double brackets and interpret data without even thinking about it.

There are many factors than just intelligence as to why he didn't do as well as hoped in his exam. That's just what I implied in my post.
never heard of him
Well, I think he's absolutely beautiful. I don't have much interest in Physics, but I always watch his TV shows and it's really fascinating. So I think he does great great for popularising science and all that stuff.

And for the people who were asking, he was in a band, they sung that song 'Things Can Only Get Better'. He played the keyboard, and performed at Wembley.
Original post by Manitude
When people say that a levels are not necessarily an indicator of intelligence or an ability in that subject they can often be right.
In a subject like maths if you're actually good at maths then you'll do well, even if you put in minimal effort.
He may have just a really bad day on the exam...it's possible.
A level maths wasn't much harder back then. I'd looked at a paper from the early 70s and yes, it was harder than the further maths I did at A level, but not vastly harder as I understood most of the questions.

wasn't modular though.
Original post by Physics Enemy
Another talentless tin-pot academic, but granted that slow voice and fresh(er) face popularised science a little more. Give him an Olympiad paper or IMO/IPO paper and he wouldn't have a clue. But then, many of them don't.

what was your score on the International Maths Olympiad?
Original post by Blueflare
I hate to break it to you, but more important things will happen in your life than A levels. :rolleyes:

Saying that on TSR is like telling a 10 year old that there is no such thing as Santa.
Reply 36

I knew about B.E.Cox years before most of you plebs had heard of him. He first took part in a documentary called "The 6 Billion Dollar Experiment" in 2007. He has a minor role, but that's one of the best Horizon's I've seen, torrent or youtube it

I think I saw that, I've watched science and nature documentaries and quizzes for as long as i can remember.
Reply 37
Original post by MizzCupcakes
Eistein failed school entirely!

Just because he got a D then doesnt mean that he was stupid. Many teenagers might not care then and later on "blossom". I remember I got a C in the equivalent of your GCSE's (I'm from Sweden) and to the equivalent of your further maths at A2 I got a big fat A :colonhash:, reason is I wasnt focused and didnt care about school before and do now.

Agree with you so much, I got average GCSEs because I just didn't care, decided to actually try for A levels, got 4 A's and am predicted 3A*s
Getting As was a lot less common in the past. Universities had lower entrance requirements etc.

Original post by Blueflare

They are in no way indicative of intelligence, and he has obviously proven himself since then.

Really, "in no way indicative"?

You don't think there's a correlation between A Level results and intelligence?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by IrrationalNumber
Who cares?

People who don't want Maths/Physics dumbed down, people who care about the integrity of the subject and the integrity of those who study it. For those who don't want the subject tarnished for 'popularity' from the masses. A professor who gets a D in Maths A-Level is a tin-pot academic.

There's little more inherently fraudulent than people who aren't bright, flunked school because it was too hard, then started paying fees at 3rd rate institutions to become a 'professor'. Now he's got a TV show and interview; well at least he's played the system well, given his lack of talent.

The glory and so forth should be going to people with real talent and ability; not tin-pot academics like him. This doesn't just apply to him, but so called teachers, graduates, professors etc who can't hack pre-uni based questions/exams.

A lot of what I said isn't based on his flunked A-Level either, but what I've read about him, watched of him, his dumbed down TV shows, etc.
(edited 13 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending