The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
Original post by CordeliaDesdamona
Jesus and Emma are seriously competitive in terms of applications to places. It could definitely improve your chances if you applied to Catz, which is a really lovely friendly college who interview near to 100% of those who apply. :smile:

Yeah, but if you look at the application statistics for Vet Med, Catz turns out to have the worst! I think I'll just go for whichever one I love the most, work hard & hope for the best :smile: they're all so lovely!
Reply 1981
Original post by EternalDoom
I want to take 4 A2's next year, purely because i love all my subjects and classes so much, that i don't want to drop any of them >_>

P.S. But i'll probably die in maths and end up dropping it or being kicked out.

I'm sure you won't die in maths :P
Don't worry - if you love your subjects, keep doing them (that is, if you are managing with the workload - if you find that the pressure is too high, then don't bother - it's not worth the risk)

Original post by Junaid16
I wanted to take 4 A2's, but my college are trying to say it's aganist their policy:rolleyes:

My school had the same policy with 5 a levels - They're probably saying that because they dont want students to have too much pressure on them in year 13. If you love your subjects, you should keep doing them! Try and convince your college -they should let you if 1) you have the capability and 2) if they have space in their time table.
Reply 1982
Original post by kpatb
I'm sure you won't die in maths :P
Don't worry - if you love your subjects, keep doing them (that is, if you are managing with the workload - if you find that the pressure is too high, then don't bother - it's not worth the risk)

My school had the same policy with 5 a levels - They're probably saying that because they dont want students to have too much pressure on them in year 13. If you love your subjects, you should keep doing them! Try and convince your college -they should let you if 1) you have the capability and 2) if they have space in their time table.

That's interesting how different schools have opposite approaches. My school likes to encourage students to manage with five.

Although I know I love my subjects, starting a whole A2 course from fresh is quite . . . boring again. But I want to keep five as I like them all and will work hard to get those A* predictions. :u:
Original post by Junaid16
I'm considering jumping ship aswell :yep:

Oh hell n'aww.

Oxford rely on the LNAT whereas Cam doesn't. 'Nuff said.
Reply 1984
Original post by Doughnuts!!
Oh hell n'aww.

Well there is the Cambridge Law Test which is just as hard ...
Finally finished with exams, yay(?)!
I'm not feeling all too confident about my results. Goodbye Cambridge.

p.s. If Cambridge need evidence of my worth they should look at the fact that I started writing "I'm feeling quite unconfident --" and interrupted by my disgust at the word "unconfident" I decided to Google it. I've now deemed it an unworthy antonym.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Edwin Okli
Finally finished with exams, yay(?)!
I'm not feeling all too confident about my results. Goodbye Cambridge.

p.s. If Cambridge need evidence of my worth they should look at the fact that I started writing "I'm feeling quite unconfident --" interrupted by my disgust at the word "unconfident" I decided to Google it. I've now deemed it an unworthy antonym.

Know the feeling, except it's worse as I'm in year 13 it's all final :/ Hopefully did well enough and good luck to you!
Original post by Doughnuts!!
Oh hell n'aww.

I'm not sure my UMS will be strong enough across the board, which is the reason why. I'm planning on applying for Nottingham, so would be doing the LNAT anyway :yep:
To all those with UMS concerns as seems common all over the page, I just wish to point out that the point of UMS is mainly to see if you'll actually meet the offer they give you (only Maths has large numbers of people missing their offers, and that's due to STEP anyway). Before the introduction of A* it was to find candidates with 90%ish anyway, but with the A* fully in place now it's merely to see if you'll actually reach that A*. If you go in with average A UMS and you get the same interview scores as another candidate with better UMS, that candidate isn't really on a better foot - UMS is too fiddly a topic to edge them ahead anyway. But if your UMS, along with your circumstances, points towards a candidate who is unlikely to meet an A*AA offer then of course the latter candidate with good UMS is more likely to be accepted.

So don't sit there thinking you need perfect 95% UMS. Remember that to get an A* you only actually need 70% at AS (70 at AS, 90 at A2, averages at 80 and since you've hit 90 at A2 thus A*), but you'll just have to do more explaining whatever reference or personal statement to prove your worth.
Original post by comrade_jon
To all those with UMS concerns as seems common all over the page, I just wish to point out that the point of UMS is mainly to see if you'll actually meet the offer they give you (only Maths has large numbers of people missing their offers, and that's due to STEP anyway). Before the introduction of A* it was to find candidates with 90%ish anyway, but with the A* fully in place now it's merely to see if you'll actually reach that A*. If you go in with average A UMS and you get the same interview scores as another candidate with better UMS, that candidate isn't really on a better foot - UMS is too fiddly a topic to edge them ahead anyway. But if your UMS, along with your circumstances, points towards a candidate who is unlikely to meet an A*AA offer then of course the latter candidate with good UMS is more likely to be accepted.

So don't sit there thinking you need perfect 95% UMS. Remember that to get an A* you only actually need 70% at AS (70 at AS, 90 at A2, averages at 80 and since you've hit 90 at A2 thus A*), but you'll just have to do more explaining whatever reference or personal statement to prove your worth.

Your too helpful/knowledgeable :biggrin:

Do you think being post-results having A*A*A* in the low 90s would be better than/equal to/less than someone with straight high 90s at AS? I know you don't know the answer fully but an educated guess?
Original post by Noodlzzz

Do you think being post-results having A*A*A* in the low 90s would be better than/equal to/less than someone with straight high 90s at AS? I know you don't know the answer fully but an educated guess?

I'm guessing that the former would be undoubtedly better. You'll have acheived A*A*A* already, and the A2 students results will just show his/her potential to acheive the same results as yourself.Therefore, the 90% UMS at AS wouldn't be better than A*A*A*. I doubt UMS matters, for post-results students, as long as you have the A*. I could be wrong though:colondollar:
Reply 1991
If you go in with average A UMS and you get the same interview scores as another candidate with better UMS, that candidate isn't really on a better foot - UMS is too fiddly a topic to edge them ahead anyway.

I think you're underselling the importance of UMS: it's not purely used to see whether you're capable of A*AA, it is used as an indicator of ability as well. Someone with higher UMS is going to have an advantage when applying over an otherwise equal applicant. Yes, interviewers are aware of the limitations of UMS, and yes their significance tends to be overhyped, especially on TSR, but they are undoubtedly important, and I imagine there is a significant correlation between UMS and chances of getting an offer.
Reply 1992

Well the thing is unless you got 3 - 4 high As they probably won't bother interviewing you. There is a guy in the year above in my school who got 8A*2A in GCSE and 3A1B in AS but got rejected pre-interview cuz his AS UMS are not high enough (he only got one above 90 I think)
(edited 12 years ago)
I know we are competing to go to, in my opinion, the best university in the world but im very interested to hear what the average gcses people have who are considering applying and whether you think they are used in determining in getting an interview? I've got a respectable 4 A*s and 6 As which im proud of but i understand they aren't the strongest grades. So yeah what are your gcse results?
Original post by J.Darren
Well the thing is unless you got 3 - 4 high As they probably won't bother interviewing you. There is a guy in the year above in my school who got 8A*2A in GCSE and 3A1B in AS but got rejected pre-interview cuz his AS UMS are not high enough (he only got one above 90 I think)

Don't think that's the truth. Your friend might have had a poor personal statement, they're lots of factors taken into consideration, when deselecting applicants.
Original post by the real viper
I know we are competing to go to, in my opinion, the best university in the world but im very interested to hear what the average gcses people have who are considering applying and whether you think they are used in determining in getting an interview? I've got a respectable 4 A*s and 6 As which im proud of but i understand they aren't the strongest grades. So yeah what are your gcse results?

Removing half GCSEs (cambridge don't count them) then I have 6A*s and 3 As.

And to people saying UMS doesn't matter - I really hope it does because I'm relying on that to put me ahead of the competition haha. :P
Original post by hassi94
Removing half GCSEs (cambridge don't count them) then I have 6A*s and 3 As.

And to people saying UMS doesn't matter - I really hope it does because I'm relying on that to put me ahead of the competition haha. :P

im relying on personal statement for sure and fingers crossed my physics and biology ums!!! so nervous for results.
You can add me to the list! I'll be applying for MML (French and ab initio Italian). I'm not quite sure which college yet, I'm stuck between Emma and Corpus. Not too confident about my AS exams but I think I'll be a CSAS applicant due to stuff that's gone down this year. Yay Cambridge!
im relying on personal statement for sure and fingers crossed my physics and biology ums!!! so nervous for results.

Yeah I am trying to make a solid personal statements but I'll take whatever advantage I can get. :P

I don't want to sound arrogant but I feel like after these exams I've had a new-found confidence, I felt absolutely brilliant about every one and feel like every one was probably 95+/100

Seems ridiculous I know and I'm probably wrong but I just have this weird feeling.
Original post by Noodlzzz

Post A2s are always superior, since the candidate is without any risk and can just be given a rejection or unconditional. I applied with A*AA post A2, and I was told since I had this my UMS weren't really important at all, but that an interview would be guaranteed and that then the interview would be to see if I would get an unconditional or not.

Some colleges said I would get a conditional, but that was only because I was still at school and refused to give out unconditionals for people still at school. However if I had quit school they told me I would have an unconditional if I passed the interview as it were.

EDIT: A quick note about UMS to add to what I put earlier. UMS will have an effect if you have a billion retakes - retakes are largely seen to be absolutely fine (on all the open days this was always the question that kept coming up and the answer was always the same) but if they see you continually retaking in one subject/module then they realise you're not so perfect after all. But my earlier information about mainly being for whether you'll meet an offer or not still stands.

I post this all the time. Because I can't be bothered to rewrite it, this is for Oxbridge not just Cambridge:

I've done this topic so many times it hurts, and I did try to go through my previous posts to find the last time I did it but since I can't find any relatively recently I will sum it up as quickly and briefly as I can:

- GCSEs are accepted by both universities to be largely unhelpful to point out potential in the future since both are skewed so heavily by your school
- Both accept that you were younger when you took your GCSEs. As such, difficulties are very happily accepted to be explained (e.g. bad teaching, bad school, bad home life at time etc. etc.)
- There is no way at all that two candidates with same grades and same quality personal statement and interview scores would have one beat the other purely down to GCSE results. As such, since GCSE results are not seen as anywhere near heavyweight factors at both universities.
- Whether or not they have UMS, they have far more pressing information in the application than whether you got an A* or not in Religious Studies or whatever

Where GCSEs are more likely to play a part is if you've not explained in a reference or whatever your school/your school is fine and your GCSEs aren't great for Oxford and you get rejected pre-interview. With any explanation and a decent application you should pretty much always get an interview, and then in turn your GCSEs don't matter. Since at Cambridge they interview almost all, this isn't a problem.

For more information http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...postcount=6836 by someone who is knowledgeable and this is a good post

All this is confirmed with time spent emailing and discussing, both generally and then specifically within my subject of History (although remember this advice shouldn't be followed strictly for Medicine) by tutors of both Oxford and Cambridge.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending