The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Edwin Okli
I imagine we'll get a mark two when people are actually applying. Has anyone noted down when any open days are yet? Do the different colleges have different open days or do people usually just make their way around their short-lists / a circuit?

There are many open days: college open days, department open days, and in early July there is Cambridge Open Day, on which there are lots of tours and open days in all departments and colleges. You have to book for some of them, so you should check it out early. I think some college Open Days are in this month.

http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/opendays/
Reply 381
Original post by Welsh Lady
Hey everybody:smile:

As I haven´t found a thread for those of us who plan to apply for 2012 yet, I just created one. I hope that´s fine!

So, do you already know which subject you are going to choose? What about your college choice? :cute:

It´s so weird that we´re already having our interviews this december! I just don´t feel so grown up..

Welsh Lady :ciao:
List of applicants:

Hey, could you add me to the list too please? :smile: :smile:

Username: icyfreya
Subject: Philosophy
College: Really have no idea! hoping to go round and have a look at some of them, like the look online of Downing, Trinity, & Emma so far)
AS Subjects: Biology, Philosophy & Ethics, Psychology, (about to start Ancient History & catch up with all the work eek), (and i'm taking critical thinking AS next year)
GCSE: home educated! didn't have any gcse's when i started 6th form, have since done 2, english (100% A*), environmental management (100% A*) and in the process of doing maths...applying through the cambridge special access scheme so this'll be taken into account...
:smile:
Reply 382
Ah, what a good idea! I'm going to post my stats now and read through later if you don't mind ^u^ So apologies if I make out-of-date comments.

Username: Eggotapey
Subject: Computer Science or Engineering (I'm dithering. I feel like I should know by now... argh!)
College: Girton/Emmanuel/Selwyn/oh God I don't know either
AS Subjects: Further Maths/Maths, Physics, Computing, Economics
GCSE: 8 A*s, 4 As, B (in English Lit. Grr.)

You people are scaring me with your amazingness, dammit!
I agree about not feeling old enough. Still feel like I've just started 6th form, and now we're preparing to leave..?
Also, anyone going to the Oxbridge Conference at the Emirates Stadium on the 25th?
x

Original post by icyfreya
Hey, could you add me to the list too please? :smile: :smile:

Username: icyfreya
Subject: Philosophy
College: Really have no idea! hoping to go round and have a look at some of them, like the look online of Downing, Trinity, & Emma so far)
AS Subjects: Biology, Philosophy & Ethics, Psychology, (about to start Ancient History & catch up with all the work eek), (and i'm taking critical thinking AS next year)
GCSE: home educated! didn't have any gcse's when i started 6th form, have since done 2, english (100% A*), environmental management (100% A*) and in the process of doing maths...applying through the cambridge special access scheme so this'll be taken into account...
:smile:

I know you tried to quote Welsh Lady, but since it didn't work, I quoted her for you :smile:

Original post by Eggotapey
Ah, what a good idea! I'm going to post my stats now and read through later if you don't mind ^u^ So apologies if I make out-of-date comments.

Username: Eggotapey
Subject: Computer Science or Engineering (I'm dithering. I feel like I should know by now... argh!)
College: Girton/Emmanuel/Selwyn/oh God I don't know either
AS Subjects: Further Maths/Maths, Physics, Computing, Economics
GCSE: 8 A*s, 4 As, B (in English Lit. Grr.)

I agree about not feeling old enough. Still feel like I've just started 6th form, and now we're preparing to leave..?
Also, anyone going to the Oxbridge Conference at the Emirates Stadium on the 25th?

First applicant considering engineering! :biggrin:

Feel free to ask me about applying for it :biggrin:
Original post by flowerpower1410

Original post by flowerpower1410
thinking of applying to newnham for medicine next year...
any tips from successful applicants?
what do they tend to weight highly? :smile:

Hey there, i didnt apply to Newnham, but went to the open day
Factors they weigh highly include:
- BMAT: (sections 1 and 2) - the admission tutor i talked to said that most successful applicants had BA or AA in s1 and 2 (i.e 6ish)
- UMS marks - although they arent the deciding factor, it is emphasised that above 85% is ideal
- Interview: i think there's 2 interviews - one 'academic' and one more clinical based (the med students sed that this involved a 'role play') although im not too sure about their interviews

from what i gathered, GCSEs arent particularly important (of course, good GCSEs could make up for a slip up in the BMAT).. and you should focus on BMAT and interview prep :smile:

Also, this is more of a general thing but, try to get some wider reading done (i read quite a bit on genetics and neuroscience). although you're unlikely to get direct qu on what you have read, you can always bring it into your answers, and give it more depth :smile:

Hope this has helped
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I thought it was because of the overwhelming prestige and exclusivity of Magdalene. Obviously maths had like a 2342:1 offer ratio this year.

Oh yes well, I thought that was given! Common knowledge that Magdalene is evidently the best college :tongue:

Original post by Hermione17
no, if you were, they would have rejected you :tongue:

No really I was, to the point where the interviewer made remarks about how slow I was :laugh:
Reply 386
Original post by Jing_jing
Oh yes well, I thought that was given! Common knowledge that Magdalene is evidently the worst college :tongue:

No really I was, to the point where the interviewer made remarks about how slow I was :laugh:

It was probably the dancing that got you in :tongue:
Reply 387
I know you tried to quote Welsh Lady, but since it didn't work, I quoted her for you :smile:

Thanks, much appreciated! :smile:

First applicant considering engineering! :biggrin:

Feel free to ask me about applying for it :biggrin:

What does Cambridge look for when considering applicants for the Engineering course? (apart from A*AA at A level ::redface: )

Yes, it´s horrible to realize that by this time next year, it might be possible that all our hops will have been destroyed :frown:

Username: thegenius31416
Subject: Economics
College: Most probably King's but not definitely decided yet.
AS Subjects: Maths, Further Maths, Economics, German, Physics
GCSEs: 8A*s, 3As and an A in FSMQ

Username: thegenius31416
Subject: Economics
College: Most probably King's but not definitely decided yet.
AS Subjects: Maths, Further Maths, Economics, German, Physics
GCSEs: 8A*s, 3As and an A in FSMQ.

I'm on there twice! Just once please :tongue:
Reply 391
Do Cambridge reject applicants who did a resit. Cos i need to resit chemistry. I got a D in the January exam :bawling:
Original post by 05038bj
Hehe I like the shameless college promotion that I'm recieving :biggrin:
I'm afraid I'm the same poster both times but thanks for your advice. I went to a law day at UCL at the weekend and the barrister who spoke made me question whether or not to actually do a law degree or convert later so I'm hoping the law conference will have a similar effect on me :smile:

And as for St Catherine's, I'll most definitely put it on the list of places to look at (and I like the sound of it's proximity to the Law Faculty) :biggrin:

I clearly fail at life... Didn't see that you were the same poster. :facepalm:

Out of curiosity, what did that barrister say? :holmes:
Original post by humy369

Original post by humy369
Do Cambridge reject applicants who did a resit. Cos i need to resit chemistry. I got a D in the January exam :bawling:

If its just a one off resit, im sure they wont reject you because of it! however, make sure you do well in your other exams. (if you need to resit a lot of exams i.e more than 4, it may become more of a problem)
What are you applying for btw?

I went to that last year, and it really wasn't very helpful. It's only helpful if you can't make it to an Open Day tbh.
Original post by Doughnuts!!

Original post by Doughnuts!!
I went to that last year, and it really wasn't very helpful. It's only helpful if you can't make it to an Open Day tbh.

Ooh i went last year too :-D
CHOOSING COLLEGES:
Below is a post i saw on another thread, which may be helpful :smile:

When you go for open days, you get roughly a 0% appreciation of what the place is actually like to live at. You go and you think "Right, I want to go to somewhere that's old, big, grand, rich, prestigious, etc."

It means bull. Basically, about a month into your degree you get an appreciation of what actually means something to you about your college. Things that you wouldn't expect are important, most definitely are.

1. Food is important, The fact that I can rely on my college's hall to produce for me three nice, good size courses, for very cheap prices, every day, means I can worry a LOT less about food in general. Eating takes less time, and I'm healthier because I have a good diet. I go to Girton, for the record. I've sampled Homerton, Corpus (pretty nice), Caius (abysmal), Robinson (pretty nice), Johns (nice formals on the whole), Newnham (average) and Pembroke (expensive!) food and I'm confident in saying that ours surpasses the lot of them. Our chef won the award for "best hot main" in the recent competition between colleges, and it does show.

2. Personality of your DoS and fellows, and the way they run your course. This is impossible to gauge from an open day, really. Our DoS is lovely, she's down to earth, funny, keeps our classes relaxed, and really is top notch on her knowledge of literary criticism, she's... like... infallible at it. She's also disorganised and skittish, and occasionally has to go pick up her kids from school rather than give a supervision. She also organises weekly events for us, including poets as speakers, professors from the faculty, poetry groups, essay writing discussions, etc. Wine is always present, and we generally have a really nice time. The fact that they pretty much run our course (considering English is pretty flexible in the amount of teaching you choose to receive from lectures) it has a HUGE positive effect on my life that my DoSses are both lovely people.

3. Proximity to other places you need to go. This affects me quite a lot, being at Girton. I wish I was at Selwyn and only had to take a 2 minute walk to get to my lectures. Saying that, though, if you're a natsci you have to go to loads of different labs all over the place anyway - and if you're a medic, there's only really Homerton that's close to Addenbrookes. Pick somewhere close.

4. Wealth of your college. I've found this has affected me very little. Our room rents are high, yes. Our rooms aren't that big, yes. Our bathrooms haven't been decorated in a few years, it's true, but apart from these things you're not going to find that going somewhere really rich is going to change your experience much. I went to John's the other day and the loo I went in was disgusting. The loo I went to at Queens' - one of the poorest colleges - was immaculate.

5. Architecture of your college. Does nothing. For the first month you're "" every time you walk anywhere and then it pretty much wears off - this is the place you live in. It stops being special pretty quickly when you see it every day. This is coming from someone who adores architecture; it matters to me a lot, but you just come to accept it.

6. Prestigiousness. Means nothing. Pretty much everyone here is treated the same as everyone else (except the Johnians) and just because you go to Fitzwilliam that hasn't got any really famous alumni or whatever doesn't mean you couldn't be the first. Everyone that goes to Cambridge has that potential.

There are other things, but really, they're irrelevant. Choose your college based on how easy it will make your experience in Cambridge in terms of the living side of things. The less time you spend living (eating, travelling, shopping, sleeping, cooking) the more time you have to work and the more time you have to have fun.

Reply 397
Original post by Bubbles2010
If its just a one off resit, im sure they wont reject you because of it! however, make sure you do well in your other exams. (if you need to resit a lot of exams i.e more than 4, it may become more of a problem)
What are you applying for btw?

Medicine. Does that make a difference. Cos obviously i know it's a very competitive course
Original post by Bubbles2010
CHOOSING COLLEGES:
Below is a post i saw on another thread, which may be helpful :smile:

That was actually very helpful. Could I just ask, do you know where the maths lectures are held?
Original post by lekha2611
What does Cambridge look for when considering applicants for the Engineering course? (apart from A*AA at A level ::redface: )

Academic potential and passion towards the subject. You don't need anything else really (I don't have any work experience, I am bad at sport and don't have any extra curricular activities worth mentioning apart from a non-relevant volunteer work)

On my interview day, I had a 1-hour-test followed by 2 1:1 interviews. The test comprised 10 Maths and Physics questions (the physics questions are more like applied maths). The first interview was about the test, they asked me about the questions I haven't finished. The second interview was focused on Maths and Physics, too. They didn't ask me anything apart from that.

However, different colleges have different procedures, some will require you to do TSA, some won't, and some will interview you without any tests. Some colleges might ask for STEP/AEA in their offer conditions. But, I am quite sure they will focus on your Maths and Physics, especially Maths in your interviews

Try to get as high UMS as possible this June. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending