The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3980
I put my PS on the help section today and got such a quick response! It's such a good service. I was expecting mine to be cruelly torn apart because I was feeling so unsure about it but they're actually so nice about it. Really good criticism but never put too harshly! :smile:
Original post by lk2011
I put my PS on the help section today and got such a quick response! It's such a good service. I was expecting mine to be cruelly torn apart because I was feeling so unsure about it but they're actually so nice about it. Really good criticism but never put too harshly! :smile:

Glad to hear you found it useful. :smile: I suspect the quick response was because some areas of the forum are busier than others - I bet the linguists were lurking in the shadows ready to pounce on it. :ninja: A turnaround of an hour must be a new record though! :eek:
Reply 3982
Original post by Tortious
Glad to hear you found it useful. :smile: I suspect the quick response was because some areas of the forum are busier than others - I bet the linguists were lurking in the shadows ready to pounce on it. :ninja: A turnaround of an hour must be a new record though! :eek:

Yeah, it gave me a bit of direction which I really needed! It's just such a difficult process, it's so hard to tell what's important/ interesting and what's just rubbish! And obviously everyone applying to Cambridge is amazing, I find even the thought of the competition intimidating...

Grout, I'm applying for MML :smile:
Original post by lk2011
Yeah, it gave me a bit of direction which I really needed! It's just such a difficult process, it's so hard to tell what's important/ interesting and what's just rubbish! And obviously everyone applying to Cambridge is amazing, I find even the thought of the competition intimidating...

Grout, I'm applying for MML :smile:

Which colleges are you considering? :teeth:
yo, potentially applying to read English Lit at Kings', anyone feeling it?
Reply 3985
Original post by Tortious
Which colleges are you considering? :teeth:

Haha, college talk is so dangerous, it always gets me really excited thinking about the slim slim possibility that I'll actually get in and as a re- applicant (I got pooled and rejected by Jesus last year) that's definitely not a good thing! Buuuuut... I'm looking at Queens' (beautiful place, got a good lot of MMLers, very positive towards those taking gap years which makes me feel better!), Caius (seems great for MML), Selwyn (what a location, perfect for Arts!) and Fitz (though it's not as pretty as the others it has a very good music scene and I love music)... They're the major ones that I'm considering! I keep changing my mind all the time though :rolleyes:
Original post by lk2011
And obviously everyone applying to Cambridge is amazing

Hmm, the TSR population is as always not entirely representative of the general.
Hi all, just wanted to ask, if i got called for an interview at a college but they reject me after, will they pool you to another college to try? Thanks!
Original post by freezingsaphire
Hi all, just wanted to ask, if i got called for an interview at a college but they reject me after, will they pool you to another college to try? Thanks!

There are two situations in which you'll be pooled: either the college will think you deserving of a place, but will have no space for you; or you'll meet the auto-pool criteria (which are available on the website, and are something like 7A*s at GCSE and 93%+ ums average in your three most relevant subjects).

The latter does not apply to medicine.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Hmm, the TSR population is as always not entirely representative of the general.

That is such an excellent point I need to second - and third - it
I cannot improve on the previous comment and won't try.

However I would consider in your position the mechanisms by which you can complain if something goes wrong. Make sure you have and keep records in writing. Do not rely at all on the college, university or OIAHE to deal with a complaint properly. Almost certainly it won't. Not only that but it will keep your life in limbo for years waiting for a response.
A couple of quick general PS pointers:

1. The number of books you have in your statement is not important - the main thing is that you say something intelligent about each one you include. There is very little point in just namedropping or listing works that you have read without saying what you learnt from them or how they helped to develop a particular interest. Listing fifteen books without justification or analysis will just make you look like an uninformed show off.

2. Remember to talk about why you love your subject.

3. Avoid words like 'passion' or anything else that implies a cliched overstatement. Also anecdotes about how you have wanted to do something all your life.

4. Never be negative.

5. PLEASE use line breaks. I have spent plenty of time this summer reading PSes, and I can tell you now that if there are two languages PSes waiting for review and one has line breaks while the other doesn't, I will ALWAYS review the one with the line breaks first. I'd like to think that I'm as intelligent as any admissions tutor, but trying to plough through a wall of text when you've already spent your entire day reading is like trying to walk through solid concrete. It doesn't matter how beautifully written your PS is, you also need to make it accessible and if that means cutting out a couple of lines to make sure the admissions tutor will read it without contracting a headache then so be it. However, it's up to you.

6. 47 lines averages at about 3500 characters. A line break is worth two characters and one line.
Reply 3992
Hello, my head of sixth form said 'i will advice you not apply for cambridge course you will get rejected straight away', i am really upset inspite of getting few A8*and As in GCSE and 3 As & c in a/s. why do they discourage you?

I thought unis actually look at everything as a person not just results?

Please advice?
Original post by vannan
Hello, my head of sixth form said 'i will advice you not apply for cambridge course you will get rejected straight away', i am really upset inspite of getting few A8*and As in GCSE and 3 As & c in a/s. why do they discourage you?

Please advice?

If it helps, my head of sixth said that I shouldn't bother applying that I won't be considered by any uni (I had ABBCC at AS for various reasons) I said that was not fair he started this massive uproar. I applied to Cambridge still and got an offer :smile:

At the end of the day, it's up to you if you want to apply or not :smile:
Hello! I'd like to apply for History at Cambridge (not sure which college yet)
Studying History, English lit and Archaeology with AS-level German (got a B in German though :frown: )
I really hope I at least get an interview :smile:
Reply 3995
Original post by cpdavis

Original post by cpdavis
If it helps, my head of sixth said that I shouldn't bother applying that I won't be considered by any uni (I had ABBCC at AS for various reasons) I said that was not fair he started this massive uproar. I applied to Cambridge still and got an offer :smile:

At the end of the day, it's up to you if you want to apply or not :smile:

also i was told imperial college won't consider my application at all!, this is being at 'PRIVATE' hypocritic school!!!

I am dissapointed paying for rich cats and we don't get any support?
Original post by vannan

Please advice?

No point in not trying! How relevent is the C grade to what you want to do? I.e. if it was a C in maths and you were applying for physical natural sciences then it would be more of a problem, but unis understand that people have off days, and the three subjects most relevant to your course matter most.

You can explain why you got a C in the additional questionaire cambridge give to you after applying...
Original post by Zoedotdot

5. PLEASE use line breaks. I have spent plenty of time this summer reading PSes, and I can tell you now that if there are two languages PSes waiting for review and one has line breaks while the other doesn't, I will ALWAYS review the one with the line breaks first. I'd like to think that I'm as intelligent as any admissions tutor, but trying to plough through a wall of text when you've already spent your entire day reading is like trying to walk through solid concrete. It doesn't matter how beautifully written your PS is, you also need to make it accessible and if that means cutting out a couple of lines to make sure the admissions tutor will read it without contracting a headache then so be it. However, it's up to you.

I remember panicking after I realised that UCAS needed two line breaks on MS word to make one line break on the actual UCAS form. I was ready to send mine off and I couldn't think of any way that I could remove 7 lines so I just sent mine off as a wall of text. I was so worried that this wouls get me rejected from everywhere that I actually sent Warwick a worried email asking if my PS was fibe as a wall of text!
Reply 3998
Original post by iammichealjackson

Original post by iammichealjackson
No point in not trying! How relevent is the C grade to what you want to do? I.e. if it was a C in maths and you were applying for physical natural sciences then it would be more of a problem, but unis understand that people have off days, and the three subjects most relevant to your course matter most.

You can explain why you got a C in the additional questionaire cambridge give to you after applying...

'c' in Bio but iam dropping to do 2 science and maths for engineering; other reason they said they don't like retaking and they will look at ums which is only border lines of 3 'A's? :frown:((((
Reply 3999
yes, I had a migrain and wrist tenden during bio?

Latest

Trending

Trending