The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by Chazzer66
How oversubscribed is history? I was considering human geography but that doesnt really exist :frown: and besides history is better looked on and I suppose I enjoy it as well. I got 11A* GCSE, call me whatever I've heard it before :biggrin: - are academic scholarships to private schools a good PS thing or do so many applicants have that sort of thing that its pointless? And if you want to do maths, engineering is a slightly easier, if slightly dissimilar option (?)

if this isn't a :troll: ...

-take geog and do mostly human modules (you can do this at most universities, human= geog BA and physical=geog BSc at many places.)
-ffs, don't take history just because that's the 'closest' thing available and you want to go to cambridge :rolleyes:
-if you're into social sciencey stuff, PPS maybe? i know my human A level classes overlap a lot with politics and sociology.
Reply 581
Original post by Chazzer66
How oversubscribed is history? I was considering human geography but that doesnt really exist :frown: and besides history is better looked on and I suppose I enjoy it as well. I got 11A* GCSE, call me whatever I've heard it before :biggrin: - are academic scholarships to private schools a good PS thing or do so many applicants have that sort of thing that its pointless? And if you want to do maths, engineering is a slightly easier, if slightly dissimilar option (?)

Engineering definitely has more applicants per place.
and I'm sure most people are not desperate enough for a place at Cambridge (or Oxford) to apply for a course other than the one they want to do in hopes of increasing their chances of getting an offer? right?

As for history, I'm quite sure it has more applicants per place than maths... I'm often given a bit of stick at school for wanting to apply for a course with relatively few applicants per place (compared to subjects like economics and english anyway).
Reply 582
Original post by cz100
I've only tried one full specimen paper 1, but apparently specimen papers are way easier than the real thing?

The specimen paper is easier yes, but I wouldn't say way easier. To be honest, its a bit early to do past papers now, since there's not many of them, and you don't want to run out of material this early. I think you should just read up on GCSE science (or probably iGCSE would be better) and critical thinking for now, and work on getting as high UMS scores as you can :smile:
Reply 583
Original post by Edwin Okli
That's incredible. :\
*bangs head on desk*

no nooo! I didn't mean to scare you :P
My point is that grades aren't EVERYTHING. They don't guarantee you a place.
Often the interview and entrance exams can work to your advantage :smile: So don't get put off by other people's 'insane academics'. Your application is looked at individually.

Original post by saey
I'm not sure what you mean by this.

...I don't stand a chance :/ (yay moar negativity!)

What I meant was that Cambridge is tough for maths, but I agree with what gethsemane said :smile: Don't give up hope, and you should DEFINITELY try :biggrin:.

You're right, that guy sounds like an insane mathematician, but maybe there was lots of competition that year or sometimes the good ones slip through admission tutors fingers. I have no idea :/

I never thought I was as good as some of the students of my school who got rejected from Cambridge last year, and yet I managed to get an offer :smile: So, don't compare yourself with other applicants, and good luck :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Kobie

Original post by Kobie
if this isn't a :troll: ...

-take geog and do mostly human modules (you can do this at most universities, human= geog BA and physical=geog BSc at many places.)
-ffs, don't take history just because that's the 'closest' thing available and you want to go to cambridge :rolleyes:
-if you're into social sciencey stuff, PPS maybe? i know my human A level classes overlap a lot with politics and sociology.

Where did you find that troll symbol?? :tongue:
Original post by cz100

Original post by cz100
I've only tried one full specimen paper 1, but apparently specimen papers are way easier than the real thing?

A tiny bit easier, but defo not by too much :smile:. and save the papers till the summer holidays (focus on AS more, as high ums marks will also be important)
Original post by kpatb

Original post by kpatb

Murray Edwards whee! Well obviously they didn't care, because they liked you enough to take you :biggrin: Did you apply to Murray Edwards or get pooled there?
(seeee, grades arent EVERYTHING) :smile:

:biggrin: i got pooled (applied to Caius originally) :smile: but reaallly loved it at interviews!! they have the coolest art collection : and awesome gardens too (+ good food!!!)
Original post by cz100

Original post by cz100
Oh btw did you get any 'weird' questions at interview? We were told one of the medicine interview questions has been 'so what do you think about toast?'

I didnt get any 'wierd' questions at interview :smile: You will get stuff that you havent learnt about, for example, i was asked about epigenetics and DNA methylation. but the thing is, they're not looking for the 'right' or textbook style answer. they want to see how you think, so i as long as you justify your reasoning. Also, if you don't get answer, they will try to guide/hint, so they also want to see how you process and use new information. :smile:
And also, the interviewers i had were all so friendly :smile: My best advice is to think carefully about the question (Dont guess!!), and try to think out loud.
Original post by RK92
same here, i had an A* in maths a level after year 12 and will be doing physics, chem and fmaths in year 13 - my offer is A*AA in physics, chem and fmaths (A* unspecified) so if i go to cambridge, i will effectively need A*A*AA.

same for another guy who im good friends with - got an A* early and needs another to get into cambridge (he does the same subjects as me)

seems like proving you can get an A* a year early means nothing tbh :s-smilie: i dont mind, though - i always expected my offer to be A*AA in one sitting (on top of the early a level), but what irritates me is seeing people who have taken 6 maths modules (but not declared their a level in fmaths) getting offered A*AA when all they need to do to get the A* is declare their modules as a completed qualification (this did happen, but im too drunk to find the example atm, will look tomorrow)

My offer is for A*AA with the A* in FM and A's in Maths and Physics. They have totally ignored my 4th A level (DT) which I am doing this year and I think it is a bit devious to pretend the offer (for engineering) is an A*AA offer as it is obviously an A*A*A offer (as almost anyone who can get an A* in FM can get one in Maths).
I got A* in Maths this January (with 100 in C3 and C4) but I am still stressing over the FM.
Reply 589
Original post by Got the tshirt
My offer is for A*AA with the A* in FM and A's in Maths and Physics. They have totally ignored my 4th A level (DT) which I am doing this year and I think it is a bit devious to pretend the offer (for engineering) is an A*AA offer as it is obviously an A*A*A offer (as almost anyone who can get an A* in FM can get one in Maths).
I got A* in Maths this January (with 100 in C3 and C4) but I am still stressing over the FM.

yeah, to specify an A* in FM is a bit harsh as i doubt your maths is really lacking compared to other applicants when you got 100 in c3 and c4... im sure youl get the offer though, good luck :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by kpatb

Original post by kpatb
no nooo! I didn't mean to scare you :P
My point is that grades aren't EVERYTHING. They don't guarantee you a place.
Often the interview and entrance exams can work to your advantage :smile: So don't get put off by other people's 'insane academics'.

But in reality, I don't come across well in interviews because I get nervous and I'm pretty shy. But I suppose they wouldn't be trying to assess my personality.

But in reality, I don't come across well in interviews because I get nervous and I'm pretty shy. But I suppose they wouldn't be trying to assess my personality.

The interviewers were so friendly in my interviews! Normally, i'm quite shy and get really nervous, but i was finee during the interviews :tongue: and we had some really cool conversations (about mitochondria...which is of course, everyone's favourite topic of converation :biggrin:)
Helloooo, everybody! I have an offer for 2012 (I applied to defer) for History, so providing I get the grades, I'm technically in the same year as you. :tongue: If anyone has any questions on anything, I'll be more than happy to listen! :smile:
Reply 593
Original post by RK92
same here, i had an A* in maths a level after year 12 and will be doing physics, chem and fmaths in year 13 - my offer is A*AA in physics, chem and fmaths (A* unspecified) so if i go to cambridge, i will effectively need A*A*AA.

same for another guy who im good friends with - got an A* early and needs another to get into cambridge (he does the same subjects as me)

seems like proving you can get an A* a year early means nothing tbh :s-smilie: i dont mind, though - i always expected my offer to be A*AA in one sitting (on top of the early a level), but what irritates me is seeing people who have taken 6 maths modules (but not declared their a level in fmaths) getting offered A*AA when all they need to do to get the A* is declare their modules as a completed qualification (this did happen, but im too drunk to find the example atm, will look tomorrow)

yeah thats what i heard about too, the only thing where i might be different is the fact that my other two subjects (i do five atm) are kind of unrelated, chemistry, maths and FM are obviously, but economics and chem are really essential to nat sci hahha

I'm sure you'll be fine. I am pretty shy and was a complete nervous wreck during my first interview. The interviewer was really trying to help me but my mind just seized up. I couldn't stop crying after it. The second interviewer though was really intellectually aggressive and kept saying 'and... and.... ' I thought I'll show him and performed much better.
My sister on the other hand is really laid back -she made her interviewers laugh and found it a walk in the park. She is now a fresher medic at Downing.
It really isn't a personality thing they just want to see how you react to novel ideas - how you think.
Original post by Jing_jing
Added.

Please QUOTE me if you want to be added to the list or I'll probably accidently miss you!

Also do any of you 2012 applicants want to take over seeing as it's your year :tongue:

Username: TheMagicMan
Subjects: Maths (with Physics)
College: St. Johns
AS Subjects: Maths, FM, Phys, Latin, Greek
GCSE: 11 A*s + 100 in C1
Original post by TheMagicMan

Welsh Lady is doing the list now :smile:
Original post by TheMagicMan

Not maths with physics... And not Johns either...

(Oh and I had identical grades to you before Jan of year 12 too)
Hello all :smile:

Here are some Pros and Cons of colleges, which can help you make a decision :smile: (from the article Cambride Colleges Prons & Cons)

Christ's College

Pros
Great accommodation
Generally easygoing, despite the reputation that it has for pushing its students.
Sacha Baron Cohen went there!
Very central - 30 seconds away from nearest club, literally 10m from a takeaway, 1-2 minutes to restaurants (Nandos, Pizza Hut), 2 minutes to the nearest cinema, 5 min from Sainsbury's, close to Downing and New Museum sites for lectures
Accrding to their website, 1/3 applicants who are successful get an easy offer (EE).

Cons
Sometimes gives out very hard offers (A*A*A*A for 2010 entry).

Churchill College

Pros
Big, modern, light rooms - most of the rooms are of the same standard and there are a lot on ensuites.
Biggest on-site playing fields of all colleges. Good gym, 4 squash courts, 5 tennis courts.
Very open plan - walk on all grass, large buildings, easy entry everywhere.
Highest ratio of sciences (70%) to arts (30%) students.
Very friendly porters

Cons
Buildings are a bit ugly.
Out of the center of town (though a 3 minute bike ride).
Highest ratio of sciences (70%) to arts (30%) students.

Clare College

Pros
Very cool underground college bar and JCR, Clare Cellars.
Really good weekly ents playing d'n'b, dubstep and the like; this is in Cellars, really atmospheric
Nice fresher community in Memorial Court.
May Ball every year.
Known as the 'friendly college' - really open, welcoming environment.
One of the strongest colleges for music - with an excellent choir.
You can walk on the grass at Memorial Court
College Gardens are among the prettiest in Cambridge
Position on the river
College owned punts

Cons
Unfortunately, the grass on Old Court is out of bounds (although run across and the porters won't catch you...!)

Corpus Christi College

Pros
Very central - 2 minutes from town centre, 2 mintues from the Science faculties, 7 minutes from the Sidgewick (arts) site.
New library (just been built) - spacious and really nice
Very small (approx 80 students a year): this and Peterhouse are the smallest colleges. If you like to know everybody in your year and feel intimidated by the larger colleges, this is great.
Great accomodation for first years - you either live in New Court, or right next to Corpus in Botolph or Benet Street. None of these ugly blocks miles away from the main college that other colleges seem to have.
Very old, attractive architecture
Lovely family atmosphere
Has one of the best, and most comfortable, college bars and jcr in Cambridge.
Get the chance to live in the oldest court in all of Oxbridge (Old Court)

Cons
Very small: can feel a bit too insular and gossip gets around incredibly quickly.
Bit public school dominated
Has also been very male dominated for most years, although this had begun to even out.
Pretty crap in terms of famous alumni (apart from obviously Christopher Marlowe) - in recent years it's mainly been old Tory MPs (Francis Maude, Neil Hamilton, etc) and very right wing journalists (Tom Utley, Simon Heffer, etc) But don't be put off.
College and bar food is quite expensive compared with other colleges.
The College's state of financial crisis means a lot of student services and perks have been cut in recent years, and rent raised dramatically - although it is still no higher than the university average.
Downing College

Pros
Amazing, hotel standard first year accommodation
All accommodation either on site or very nearby so even when you're in a house you can still use all the college facilities.
Right next to the Downing site and New Museum site (as well as the Chemistry department) so very good for scientists!
Pizza Hut accross the Road
Pizza Organic next door as well as Nandos!!!
Park only 30 seconds away.
Library designed using Golden Ratio
John Cleese went there
If you want to sue someone, there are so many Lawyers around you'd get a competitive price.

Cons
So many Law students
You can't walk on some of the grass.

Emmanuel College

Pros
Each room has a mini fridge for you to store all kinds of goodies in!
The ducks. =P
Its location is probably one of the best in Cambridge: close enough to the shops and the Downing Site (like what's been said in the prospectus - "a stone's throw away"), but far enough to hide from the masses of tourists each day.
The only college to offer a free laundry service in Cambridge, so no need to do your own if laundry isn't your kind of thing.
Probably has the cheapest college bar of them all.
Amazing welfare provision in the summer - bouncy castle, free yoga classes, Thai massages, mug painting on the paddock and the college Wii.
The college shop, selling stash, stationery, sweets, crisps and drinks all for cheaper than you'd find anywhere in town.
Having the swimming pool in the summer.

Cons
You can't walk on the grass in the front court.
There are very few ovens so self-catering can be difficult.

Fitzwilliam College

Pros
Friendly and supportive atmosphere
Excellent theatre and sport facilities
kitchen space so self catering can be done
truly beautiful gardens
lack of pretentiousness
close to the West Cambridge site
out of the way of busy tourist places in the Summer
reasonably spacious
brand new, very good library
some very modern buildings

Cons
Out of the town centre
Some unattractive buildings

Girton College

Pros
Indoor heated swimming pool
Really good college community - because it's further out people really spend time together and gel
Not as pushy academically as some of the other colleges, but people still get good grades
Not pretentious - You can walk on the grass
The cycle in and out gives you some time to wake up/clear your head after a hard day's work
Sports pitches are on-site

Cons
Furthest college out. Not good if you don't want a 15 minutes cycle in the mornings

Gonville and Caius College

Pros
Very central
Gives perhaps the fullest experience of Oxbridge traditions of any Cambridge college.
The canteen arrangements means there's a strong vibrant community spirit.
SHB is arguably the nicest accommodation in Cambridge.

Cons
Canteen arrangements where you have to eat in hall a certain amount of the time.

Homerton College

Pros
Voted "friendliest college in Cambridge"
Largest college in terms of student numbers, although Trinity is slightly bigger if you count fellows.
On-site accommodation for everyone. Mostly ensuite. All West House rooms (where the freshers live) are ensuite.
Informal atmosphere. We're allowed to walk on the grass, and the only time when a gown is required is graduation.
Lots of buses, easy to get into town
Near to the cinema, tesco, nandos etc only 2 minute walk

Cons
The location. 10-minute cycle into town.

Hughes Hall (mature students, undergraduates and graduates)

Pros
Near the shops and leisure centre
Pleasant postgraduate atmosphere
Leafy 'campus' with garden feel
Great accommodation
Overlooks the cricket grounds
Excellent food

Cons
Not well known, little reputation
Postgraduate and mature undergrad only

Jesus College

Pros
Lots of interesting art and sculpture about the place
Huge grounds with the sports pitches right next to the college
May Ball has a really good reputation
Surprisingly close to the centre of town, but without all the tourists
All 3 years accommodation within college or on the adjacent roads (Jesus Lane, Park St, Malcolm St)
Modern, spacious 24hr library
Free washing machines
JCR Common room has good TV/xbox/pool table
Free full size snooker table/dart boards

Cons
Slightly more expensive college bar, in relative terms (not student run)

King's College

Pros
The college is very central and the undergraduate accommodation is either on site or very nearby.
Informal atmosphere (students don't have to wear gowns, May week event is a cheaper version of the May Balls and you don't have to wear Black tie)
Good canteen with lots of choice
Amazing, popular college bar
Has an Art Centre with a resident artist who runs classes
College-owned punts and kayaks

Cons
Tourists
Gym is a basement room with 1 treadmill, 1 cross trainer and a load of weights
You can't walk on the grass in the main courts except for special occasions (though there is a huge, private, fellows garden as well as lawn by the river and riverbank where you can go on the grass)

Magdalene College

Pros
Cheapest formal in cambridge but still good food, candlelit atmosphere and gowns etc
Very friendly and small enough you can know everyone if you want to
Far enough out that there are very few tourists but still 5 mins walk from sainsburys so fairly central
Most river frontage of all colleges and has a 'beach'

Cons
May ball very expensive and only every 2 years but the only white tie ball

New Hall/Murray edwards (female)

Pros
Not an insular college - people know a lot of people from other colleges and there isn't a claustrophobic atmosphere at all.
Community with the hill colleges - Fitz and Churchill. They share a lot of ents together.
Relaxed atmosphere - gowns not compulsory for formals and you can walk on whatever grass you like.
Awesome art collection!!!!

Cons
Misconception that people from girls colleges are not as intelligent as people from mixed colleges.
Different architecture - the modern, white and grey brick buildings are not to everyone's taste.
~90% of people there were pooled and didn't pick it as a first choice.

Newnham College (female)

Pros
Opposite the Sidgwick Site (where most of the Arts faculties are)
Attractive (old) buildings with beautiful, large gardens in which you are allowed to walk (sit, picnic) on the grass
The longest corridor in Europe
Accommodation on site all three years
Beautiful, beautiful student bedrooms, allocated by random ballot (as opposed to one based on grades in exams - Scholars' ballots) so that in your third year you are guaranteed a beautiful room usually with a sofa or armchairs and a garden view
Excellent kitchens and buttery (cafeteria) which was built only in 2009
All sports grounds on site, netball and tennis courts
Drama studio and an excellent college based drama society
A friendly atmosphere, rather than one which is based wholly on the attainment of firsts and thus encourages students to live in the library (*not* an exaggeration - at Christ's the library has showers...)

Cons
Some of the grumpiest porters in Cambridge

Pembroke College

Pros
Possibly one of the prettiest colleges
The holy grail that is Pembroke Brunch!

Cons
-

Peterhouse

Pros
Has a proper tiered theatre
Looks really pretty
Small so tutorials likely to be shared with fewer people
Close to sciences and engineering departments
Far enough away from the centre not to be bothered by tourists
Great Deer Park that you can walk on
Excellent accommodation

Cons
-

Queens' College

Pros
3 years accomodation on site
Good location (center of town, close to most subjects)
Not baraged by tourists like others nearby
Some beautiful old buildings
Not too big/Not too small (obviously depends on personal taste)
Stephen Fry studied here.

Cons
Cripps building is ugly

Robinson College

Pros
Modern, comfortable building with plenty of heating and guaranteed accommodation for all 3 years on site.
In the main college block there's a maximum of 3 people per bathroom, although almost all rooms have 2 or fewer per bathroom and many rooms are en-suite (more toilets per undergraduate than any other college).
Relaxed atmosphere (you can walk on the grass!) and the gardens are extremely nice in summer.
Pleasant, quiet location in nice surroundings well away from the tourists.
Nearest college to the University Library.
Close to the university astroturf (hockey) and athletics track, as well at the university rugby pitch. Free-to-use squash courts literally 1 minute's walk from the porter's lodge.
Lots of socialising between years, which doesn't happen at all colleges.
Excellent canteen and formal food.
Cool porters.

Cons
Not for people who don't like red bricks.
College doesn't have much money so you don't get luxuries like college-owned punts, a proper gym or much in the way of bursaries.
Because of the modern facilities and college's skintness, rents are expensive.
No cash machines or shops nearby.

St Catharine's College

Pros
Second-year accommodation is really good: big, modern rooms in flats of 4 or 5 with proper kitchens (ovens etc) rather than college gyp rooms, plus it is up by the Sidgwick Site so very useful if you study Law, English, History, Economics, Philosophy, Music or Languages and don't like getting up too early in the morning
Excellent hockey teams - only college with its own astroturf
First Fairtrade college in Cambridge
Main college site is very central and convenient for everything in town
Good value bar

Cons
Food in hall not great - and the hall itself is pine-panelled, not as impressive as those in many of the older colleges

St John's College

Pros
Rich college
The St. John's May Ball was famously declared the "7th best party in the world" by Time magazine. Number 6 was the Oscars after-party.
college-owned punts
generally good facilities and standards of rooms (it's rich...)
free laundry!

Cons
All the students say "I'd rather be at Oxford than St John's"
People immediately assume that you're a rich **** if you're at St John's

Selwyn College

Pros
Next door to the Sidgwick Site (where most of the Arts faculties are)
Really pretty gardens
Has the Snowball rather than a May Ball
Closer than many colleges to the Computer Lab

Cons
-

Sidney Sussex College

Pros
Opposite Sainsbury's - this is amazing!
Lovely big gardens in which you are allowed to sit on the grass.
Very friendly atmosphere.
The Fellows are very helpful and supportive
Very beautiful buildings
The Porters are very kind and helpful
The college bar is student run and is therefore one of the cheapest in Cambridge

Cons

Trinity College

Pros
Rich college
Amazing academic reputation (top of the Tompkins Table for 2009, lots of nobel prize winners)
One of the biggest May Balls
the largest college in terms of undergrads so it's not claustrophobic

Cons
The largest college in terms of undergrads so you don't gel with everyone as easily.
Lots of tourists around, especially in the summer
The bar doesn't have a great atmosphere
Hall food is not fantastic, but it is cheap

Trinity Hall

Pros
One of the Smaller, Prettiest Colleges
Great Location in the City Centre and on the river
Relatively Rich, so good financial support.
One of the best mixes (male / female, state / private)
Close Community
Great Library overlooking the river

Cons
Some accommodation is further out, but is very modern.

HOPE THIS HELPS!!! (its very long i know!!)
Reply 599
Original post by Bubbles2010
Hello all :smile:

wow thanks for posting. It's definitely helped me rule out some colleges, and the comment about there being showers in Christ's library made me giggle

Latest

Trending

Trending