The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TimmonaPortella

All Oxbridge degrees are BA. It's nothing more than tradition.

But apparently MSc can be obtained (quoth my Selwyn prospectus). I can guess the answer to this question since we're all academics here but I'll go ahead anyway. Is it worth an extra year in university to get a Masters?

Or.. would one skip out the Masters altogether and go straight onto an MPhil / PhD?

I know it's jumping the gun a bit but it's good to think of the future, je pense..
Reply 781
Original post by cz100
Right now I'm really liking Christ's College... Does anyone have any suggestions on Christ's?

Wooo! I got an offer from Christ's this year :smile: What subject are you planning on applying for?

Original post by gethsemane342

Christ's has a great location (best of any college really) because it's right in the center. Going out, doing shopping, getting to lectures - none of this is a problem.

I stayed at Christ's for my interview and it was absolutely amazing how close EVERYTHING was :biggrin:
(with the exception of the Physics department which seems about a bajillion miles away from everywhere)
I would apply to Christ's just on that basis alone B)
Original post by Bubbles2010
Good choice (and quite a wide range too!) :tongue: your applying for medicine right? why not consider Caius as well, :smile: (caius interview 95% of med applicants, and wont reject you before interview for low bmats)

But go an visit them during the summer if you can :smile:

Actually I'm fairly certain Caius interview ALL applicants - regardless.
Reply 783
Original post by cz100
Thanks for all the advice, this is the only place I get to talk to people actually from Cambridge.
So far I think I've narrowed my list of colleges down to:
Christ's
Downing
Emmanuel
King's
Pembroke
Peterhouse
Queen's
St Catherine's
Trinity Hall
:s-smilie: that's still quite a long list

The best thing to do would be to visit. If you can't do this, you can get a feel of the colleges from the websites, and then some colleges have their own prospectus. I'm not at Cambridge, but from what I have seen on here, in many cases people end up liking whichever college they go to. Pick one you like, maybe at random from the ones you have narrowed down to. You might end up getting pooled anyway, so do not get too fixated about this. Of course, the easiest thing to do would be to pick Christ's, which is clearly the best.
Reply 784
Original post by cz100
Thanks for all the advice, this is the only place I get to talk to people actually from Cambridge.
So far I think I've narrowed my list of colleges down to:
Christ's
Downing
Emmanuel
King's
Pembroke
Peterhouse
Queen's
St Catherine's
Trinity Hall
:s-smilie: that's still quite a long list

Refer to below:
Original post by Ray_Han
Of course, the easiest thing to do would be to pick Christ's, which is clearly the best.

This is so true B)
Original post by ArchedEdge

Original post by ArchedEdge
Actually I'm fairly certain Caius interview ALL applicants - regardless.

Really? Well, that's even better then! :smile:

Hilarious troll is hilarious.

I wasnt sure if it was a troll :tongue: and didnt want to be mean just in case it wasnt..
But reading through it again, an A level in knitting??? :biggrin:
Original post by kpatb
This is so true B)

Surely I'm meant to be the one bumping Christ's? :tongue: Ha ha, i've already given my spiel on it though and I think it's pretty clear I love it there. Even if the college cat has taken a dislike to me...
Reply 788
I'm applying for English :smile: I'm thinking Emmanuel, Clare, Trinity, possibly St. Catherine's but I'm not sure.

10 A*s at GCSE, AS levels - English Lit, Modern History, Latin, Spanish
Original post by Edwin Okli
But apparently MSc can be obtained (quoth my Selwyn prospectus). I can guess the answer to this question since we're all academics here but I'll go ahead anyway. Is it worth an extra year in university to get a Masters?

Or.. would one skip out the Masters altogether and go straight onto an MPhil / PhD?

I know it's jumping the gun a bit but it's good to think of the future, je pense..

Dude, sorry, I'm really the wrong guy to ask about postgrad.
If I had to have a guess, I'd say that the extra year would be pretty much equal to the MPhil, so you could either go 4 year degree - PhD, or 3 year degree - MPhil - PhD.
That is nothing more than speculation though.
Original post by Ray_Han
Of course, the easiest thing to do would be to pick Christ's, which is clearly the best.

Just remember that you nearly picked a far superior college but ended up settling Christ's as you were overwhelmed by the awesomeness of Catz. :colonhash:
Reply 791
Original post by Doughnuts!!
Just remember that you nearly picked a far superior college but ended up settling Christ's as you were overwhelmed by the awesomeness of Catz. :colonhash:

Actually, it was having the great minds of Darwin, Milton and Sacha Baron Cohen amongst the alumni that swayed me, (that and flipping a coin). But I don't regret my decision :colonhash:.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 792
Surely I'm meant to be the one bumping Christ's? :tongue: Ha ha, i've already given my spiel on it though and I think it's pretty clear I love it there. Even if the college cat has taken a dislike to me...

Yes you probably are 0: )
I'm not at Christ's YET, but there's no harm in starting early :h: Your post earlier about college choice and Christ's made me so happy that I'm going there next year :smile: (Provided I get the grades that is)...

And the college cat Dislikes you? :eek: That is certainly not acceptable! You must be doing something wrong... hmm...

Original post by Ray_Han
Actually, it was having the great minds of Darwin, Milton and Sacha Baron Cohen amongst the alumni that swayed me, (that and flipping a coin). But I don't regret my decision :colonhash:.

As well as all the other famous alumni... as an Indian, I'm proud to say one of the best modern Indian scientists went to Christ's too B) JC Bose. We're walking in the footsteps of giants. (but that goes for any Cambridge college :smile: )
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 793
Original post by kpatb
Yes you probably are 0: )
I'm not at Christ's YET, but there's no harm in starting early :h: Your post earlier about college choice and Christ's made me so happy that I'm going there next year :smile: (Provided I get the grades that is)...

And the college cat Dislikes you? :eek: That is certainly not acceptable! You must be doing something wrong... hmm...

As well as all the other famous alumni... as an Indian, I'm proud to say one of the best modern Indian scientists went to Christ's too B) JC Bose. We're walking in the footsteps of giants. (but that goes for any Cambridge college :smile: )

I'm from India too :smile:. Another Indian alumni from Christ's is Yusuf Hamied, who I believe has a building at Christ's named after him? There are certainly many great alumni of the college I could learn from, although I was joking about picking Christ's based on this. I need to actually get the grades first though, and with 10 exams in the summer it is going to be hard work. Hopefully I can see you there next year though :smile:.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by kpatb

To be fair, he's technically not the Christ's cat - he belongs to a neighbour (we think this person lives opposite our house but we're not sure) - but wanders through Christ's at will and is known to follow students to their rooms and even sleep on their beds :smile: He never lets me stroke him for long but absolutely adores my friend... Maybe he knows i have a pet cat at home and is jealous!

Original post by Ray_Han
Another Indian alumni from Christ's is Yusuf Hamied, who I believe has a building at Christ's named after him?

There is indeed. The Yusuf Hamied Centre is attached to the Typewriter. It has the JCR, TV Room, New Court Theatre (Yusuf Hamied theatre), Function Room, Squash Court, Gym and music practice room in it :smile: Also a plaque detailing his life.
Reply 795
I will be doing IB and I am interested in applying for Economics at Cambridge.

Should I pick HL Physics/Maths/Chemistry or HL Physics/Maths/Economics?

I heard from my sister IB HL economics was easy and could be self taught, but I do not trust her, thoughts? any economics undergrad/grad here?
Reply 796
Original post by Zanning
I will be doing IB and I am interested in applying for Economics at Cambridge.

I heard from my sister IB HL economics was easy and could be self taught, but I do not trust her, thoughts? any economics undergrad/grad here?

I would do economics. I don't know about IB, but whilst A level economics is very different from university economics, taking the subject formally can help you to get a feel for economics. When it comes to writing your personal statement and going for interview, having knowledge of economics concepts will help. Plus when you read books on economics or read about current economics related affairs, being able to apply these concepts will aid your understanding.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 797
Original post by Ray_Han
I'm from India too :smile:. Another Indian alumni from Christ's is Yusuf Hamied, who I believe has a building at Christ's named after him? There are certainly many great alumni of the college I could learn from, although I was joking about picking Christ's based on this. I need to actually get the grades first though, and with 10 exams in the summer it is going to be hard work. Hopefully I can see you there next year though :smile:.

Really? :biggrin: I've talked to you on the Christ's board but I never knew that! Yay, hello fellow Indian :smile: Do you live in India?
Yes, Yusuf Hamied, he's the chairman of Cipla, the medication company (if you've ever lived in India you've probably heard of it). I'm not super patriotic, but I was so proud that yusuf Hamied and J.C. Bose both went to Christ's for NatSci! I didn't find out until about a month ago- so like you, I didn't choose my college because of that xD It was certainly a pleasant surprise though :smile:
Darn, I have 10 exams too in June, so I know what it's like - good luck with the exams!
Did you do any January modules? How did they go? Don't stress, I'm sure you will do fine :smile:

To be fair, he's technically not the Christ's cat - he belongs to a neighbour (we think this person lives opposite our house but we're not sure) ... Maybe he knows i have a pet cat at home and is jealous!
There is indeed. The Yusuf Hamied Centre is attached to the Typewriter.

Yes well in that case, the cat probably won't like me either, I have a cat at home. I do like cats though :biggrin: Emma has Ducks, Christ's has a cat :biggrin: Niceee :smile:
Has Christ's JCR been decorated a bit more? I saw a video that had been linked by the jcr reps right after the centre had been built and the JCR was just a bunch of chairs then xD

Original post by Zanning

If you've done economics at GCSE or O level or IGCSE, I've heard that IB Economics isn't too much of a big step up, but you still need to gain some sort of an understanding about the subject in an academic sense. I would say it would be more beneficial to do HL Phys/maths/Econ.

But then again, I knew a person in my school who had never studied economics as a subject at school in her life, but still got into Cambridge to read Economics. She prepared by reading up on some key Economics books and made sure her Mathematics knowledge was solid. Thus, maybe doing Economics isn't crucial, but I'm sure it would help :smile:
I would take some advice some others who actually do Ib economics though :P
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 798
Original post by kpatb
Really? :biggrin: I've talked to you on the Christ's board but I never knew that! Yay, hello fellow Indian :smile: Do you live in India?
Yes, Yusuf Hamied, he's the chairman of Cipla, the medication company (if you've ever lived in India you've probably heard of it). I'm not super patriotic, but I was so proud that yusuf Hamied and J.C. Bose both went to Christ's for NatSci :smile: I didn't find out until about a month ago- so like you, I didn't choose my college because of that xD It was certainly a pleasant surprise though :smile:
Darn, I have 10 exams too in June, so I know what it's like - good luck with the exams!
Did you do any January modules? How did they go? :smile: Don't stress, I'm sure you will do fine :smile:

Nope, I live in the UK, moved from India when I was three. Thanks, good luck to you too. Jan didn't go great :s-smilie:, but it did hammer home that past papers are an absolute must when it comes to maths.
Reply 799
Met the Christ's admissions tutor today
She told me firmly to drop history so I think that's what I'll do next year.

Latest

Trending

Trending