The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by liviaaa
Ohh okay! Thanks! How did this compare to Oxford?

It varies from college to college and subject to subject, I believe. I've heard numbers from 50% to 75%. As I'm not at Oxford, I can't really comment. The way you could look at it is like this:

If you apply to Cambridge, you have a high chance of interview. You have a high chance of rejection post-interview.

If you apply to Oxford, you have less of a chance of interview. However, your chance of rejection post-interview is lower than Cambridge's. (I also hear the interview period there is a lot more fun :wink:)
Original post by TheMagicMan
I had a look at the test on the internet- it is really representative of the actual difficulty of the test?

The test tends to be slightly harder, or at least most people think so, but only marginally harder. But that's probably more to do with the fact that it's under pressured conditions. I only got 3 1/2 questions in the hour and 3 1/2 more in the interview, so don;t worry if you can't do the whole test, as that's not necessary to get an offer.
I'm hoping to apply for English Literature for 2012 entry, it's starting to hit me how soon I'll have to think about personal statements!:eek:
I'm undecided about colleges, Kings, Emma and Jesus are my favourites so far.

Currently in the Irish education system

7As 4Bs in Junior Certificate ( Like GSCES but we do them a year earlier, also there are no A* in our system )
Probably will be predicted 5As 2Bs for the Leaving Certificate ( With 4 As and 2Bs being the average Cambridge offer to Irish students )
Reply 983
Original post by Stormyweather
I'm hoping to apply for English Literature for 2012 entry, it's starting to hit me how soon I'll have to think about personal statements!:eek:
I'm undecided about colleges, Kings, Emma and Jesus are my favourites so far.

Currently in the Irish education system

7As 4Bs in Junior Certificate ( Like GSCES but we do them a year earlier, also there are no A* in our system )
Probably will be predicted 5As 2Bs for the Leaving Certificate ( With 4 As and 2Bs being the average Cambridge offer to Irish students )

I know I'm really worried about what I'm going to say, but i'm pretty sure writing it is going to take over my life. Even now, months before we actually have to start entering the stuff, I'm catching myself drafting snipbits in my head.

Scary stuff, I once picked up a discarded PS in the school library a few years ago and just marvelled at how someone could write so much about themselves. 47 Lines all about me, fun times
Reply 984
Original post by gethsemane342
It varies from college to college and subject to subject, I believe. I've heard numbers from 50% to 75%. As I'm not at Oxford, I can't really comment. The way you could look at it is like this:

If you apply to Cambridge, you have a high chance of interview. You have a high chance of rejection post-interview.

If you apply to Oxford, you have less of a chance of interview. However, your chance of rejection post-interview is lower than Cambridge's. (I also hear the interview period there is a lot more fun :wink:)

Okay thanks haha! I'll think about it :smile:
anyone else booked open days ?
Original post by maths134
anyone else booked open days ?

Yep, Sidney Sussex on may 14th for maths
Reply 987
Original post by MinpoloD
I know I'm really worried about what I'm going to say, but i'm pretty sure writing it is going to take over my life. Even now, months before we actually have to start entering the stuff, I'm catching myself drafting snipbits in my head.

Scary stuff, I once picked up a discarded PS in the school library a few years ago and just marvelled at how someone could write so much about themselves. 47 Lines all about me, fun times

Me too. I'm already ****ting myself about writing my personal statement. I don't know how I'm going to do 4000 characters praising myself, I really don't
Original post by MinpoloD

Original post by humy369
Me too. I'm already ****ting myself about writing my personal statement. I don't know how I'm going to do 4000 characters praising myself, I really don't

You'll be surprised how much you have to cut out when it comes to it actually. Approach it methodically, make a list of everything you could possibly include and then write it up, then start cutting. Most people have trouble getting it to fit the 47 lines rather than trying to think of enough to say. Mine was an absolute mission and I don't think I even had that many extracurriculars. Bear in mind that you have to spend a decent amount of it talking about why you want to do your chosen subject, which shouldn't be too hard! The bits about yourself you can sort of interweave with that. The result is always totally cringe, but everyone's is so it's okay.
Alternatively, remember that you're not obliged to get to the limit. I think my PS ended up as something like 3600 characters and 44 lines in the end. And it took me a while to think of that much to say. Concise isn't necessarily bad :smile:
Original post by liviaaa
Yes thanks, that's what my parents keep saying - you don't want to regret it. :smile: And wow they really interview 90%?

Across the whole university, yes, they interview 90%. But if you want to make sure you get an interview I'd consider applying to St Catharine's. I was told directly by their admissions tutor on summer school that their college interviews almost 100% apart from the odd few people who have clearly applied as a joke.
Original post by Zoedotdot
X

I heard there was somewhere on TSR that we could get help with PSes, is this true? :smile:
Original post by ViennaWaits
I heard there was somewhere on TSR that we could get help with PSes, is this true? :smile:

Absolutely, in the PS Help forum :smile:
Original post by ViennaWaits

As Zoe put above there's the forum, also I'm sure people like myself would be glad to help. Sadly since I'm not at university I can't join the PS help team, however since I wrote mine only a few short months ago I feel I could help, particularly with History, so if anyone has any concerns do drop me a PM :smile:
Reply 994
Original post by CordeliaDesdamona
Across the whole university, yes, they interview 90%. But if you want to make sure you get an interview I'd consider applying to St Catharine's. I was told directly by their admissions tutor on summer school that their college interviews almost 100% apart from the odd few people who have clearly applied as a joke.

Okay thanks :smile:
Reply 995
Went to the conference today, want to go even more now. One thing I've noticed is my back starts hurting after sitting in the hall for a while, that's not going to be good for lectures...
Reply 996
Original post by liviaaa
Yes thanks, that's what my parents keep saying - you don't want to regret it. :smile: And wow they really interview 90%?

This is not necessarily true (I would like to say that this is true, but I cant :P)
Two friends from my school applied to Catz. One was rejected before interview despite having 8A*s at GCSE, 93% average at AS (and predicted 5A*'s), an excellent reference and a good personal statement.
Another friend got an interview but was rejected without Pool despite having 11A*'s at GCSE, and was predicted 44 IB points, an EXCELLENT report and her personal statement was fantastic (or so I thought)

So I guess it varies from college to college.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by kpatb
This is not necessarily true (I would like to say that this is true, but I cant :P)
Two friends from my school applied to Catz. One was rejected before interview despite having 8A*s at GCSE, 93% average at AS (and predicted 5A*'s), an excellent reference and a good personal statement.
Another friend got an interview but was rejected without Pool despite having 11A*'s at GCSE, and was predicted 44 IB points, an EXCELLENT report and her personal statement was fantastic (or so I thought)

So I guess it varies from college to college.

Obviously I can't talk for the actual admissions proceedure, and there are always people who get rejected before interview when they might have been very good applicants. I was just going on what I was told, which might have been an exagaration in order to try and persuade me to apply there than verbatim truth.
But still, from my experience, the majority of people who do apply to Cambridge do get interviews. And in terms of getting in post interview it varies greatly. I've known people get in with no A*s and people get rejected with all A*s so obviously the interview process counts for a lot.
That said, St Catharine's (on the whole), do tend to interview most of their applicants, and I presume this boosts up the 90% figure wheras other colleges might interview significantly fewer than 90% of applicants.

Also, for anyone who does have exceptional grades, I'd definitely go for it. If you get over 8A* and over 93UMS in your 3 most relevant AS levels (don't know how it works for IB/international), then you get 'auto-pooled' even if you are rejected by your original college. Basically, you get a second chance. But even then only 1 in 5 get through the pool, but you'll essentially be considered by at least 2 colleges.
Reply 998
Obviously I can't talk for the actual admissions proceedure, and there are always people who get rejected before interview when they might have been very good applicants. I was just going on what I was told, which might have been an exagaration in order to try and persuade me to apply there than verbatim truth.
But still, from my experience, the majority of people who do apply to Cambridge do get interviews. And in terms of getting in post interview it varies greatly. I've known people get in with no A*s and people get rejected with all A*s so obviously the interview process counts for a lot.
That said, St Catharine's (on the whole), do tend to interview most of their applicants, and I presume this boosts up the 90% figure wheras other colleges might interview significantly fewer than 90% of applicants.

Also, for anyone who does have exceptional grades, I'd definitely go for it. If you get over 8A* and over 93UMS in your 3 most relevant AS levels (don't know how it works for IB/international), then you get 'auto-pooled' even if you are rejected by your original college. Basically, you get a second chance. But even then only 1 in 5 get through the pool, but you'll essentially be considered by at least 2 colleges.

Sorrrryyyy I didn't mean to seem like I was ranting, which is how I came across! D:
But what happened to my friends is the exception rather than the rule!

And agreed with CoredeliaDesdamona, that if you have 8A*s and over 93% UMS at AS, definitely apply :smile:
Original post by kpatb
Sorrrryyyy I didn't mean to seem like I was ranting, which is how I came across! D:
But what happened to my friends is the exception rather than the rule!

And agreed with CoredeliaDesdamona, that if you have 8A*s and over 93% UMS at AS, definitely apply :smile:

Nooo. I didn't think you were ranting at all :smile:. I feel so sorry for your friend who got rejected before interview because I think interviews are so important and can make such a difference in an application.

Again, as said by kpatb, apply if you have good grades. But even if you don't (my GCSEs were by no means amazing) you still have as good a chance as anyone. The point I've been trying to get across is that (usually) if you apply to Cambridge you will get an interview irregardless of whether your grades are 'oxbridge average' which means you may be considered a lot more than at other unis; for example, I only got my 1st choice (Cambridge) and my 5th choice (Newcastle) presumably because the others inbetween had nothing to go on besides grades/personal statement etc so I didn't get given a chance. The fact that Oxbridge interview give you a real chance to show how much you love a subject which could really pay off in the end. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending