The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dream_merchant
Biological I guess?? You going/been to an open day?

You guessed correctly :smile:
I haven't been to one yet but I am hoping to go this summer, however, I have been to the city before so I know what it's like. What about you?
Original post by princess dora
OH and one more thing (I know it's very early) :biggrin:
Sooo if I'll have to submit essays, how should I translate them? I mean, they're in Hungarian and they're like 10-20 pages long... We don't really write essays in school, so I only have long long research based studies :s-smilie:

Is this as part of your application?

I didn't have to submit any written work, but the people I know who did took one of two approaches: either they reworked something they'd already written, or they wrote something especially for the application.

You say that these studies are fairly long, so I think you might be better off writing something fresh - from experience writing essays in a foreign language, that's not a bad idea since if you "think in the language" rather than trying to translate literally, you tend to express yourself more clearly.

As far as I'm aware, people didn't have much help from their teachers since Cambridge is trying to see the standard of your work so there's no point getting very detailed feedback. However, if you were to write something new, I think you should be aiming for 1500-2000 words (the length of an average essay I'm writing at the minute). :smile:
Reply 1382
Original post by Hyzenflay
I'm hoping to study NatSci but I'm still unsure about which college.
I'm currently studying Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Stats and Religious Studies and I want to take up AS further maths next year.
I got 8A*s and 3As at GCSE

Christ's, obviously B-)
(It's not like I'm biased or anything)

Which strand of NatSci are you interested in? Phys or Bio? :smile:
Original post by Tortious
Is this as part of your application?

I didn't have to submit any written work, but the people I know who did took one of two approaches: either they reworked something they'd already written, or they wrote something especially for the application.

You say that these studies are fairly long, so I think you might be better off writing something fresh - from experience writing essays in a foreign language, that's not a bad idea since if you "think in the language" rather than trying to translate literally, you tend to express yourself more clearly.

As far as I'm aware, people didn't have much help from their teachers since Cambridge is trying to see the standard of your work so there's no point getting very detailed feedback. However, if you were to write something new, I think you should be aiming for 1500-2000 words (the length of an average essay I'm writing at the minute). :smile:

Well I want to study history, and if they invite you to an interview they ask for essays from your schoolwork. 1500-2000 words is very short, how am I supposed to write anything creative or unique in 2000 words? :biggrin: ahhhhh this is so complicated... :rolleyes:
Reply 1384
Well I want to study history, and if they invite you to an interview they ask for essays from your schoolwork. 1500-2000 words is very short, how am I supposed to write anything creative or unique in 2000 words? :biggrin: ahhhhh this is so complicated... :rolleyes:

To be honest, they might decide not to even look at your written work :P
My boyfriend took in his Science Practical Portfolio and they didn't look at it once... so don't worry about it too much :smile:
Original post by kpatb

Which strand of NatSci are you interested in? Phys or Bio? :smile:

Biological :smile:
Why christ's?

2000 words would be the length of essay you'd be expected to write for supervisions, so get used to it :p: 10-20 pages won't be what they're looking for in terms of the essays submitted as part of your application, you'll either have to find something shorter or write something new!
Original post by ilovedubstep
Lol, tbf Catz is a long way from Johns. But it is next to the best part of the river which is a plus also it is really quiet. I would consider grand arcade/ the market the centre of cambridge.

It really isn't. It's like a 2 minute walk down the road. :confused:
Original post by kpatb
To be honest, they might decide not to even look at your written work :P
My boyfriend took in his Science Practical Portfolio and they didn't look at it once... so don't worry about it too much :smile:

I think that's a different case. These essays are submitted prior to interview allocations, so they are certainly looked at and a required part of the application process.
Original post by Doughnuts!!

Five minutes, at least! Besides, you haven't had time to get used to the warped sense of distance in Cambridge yet. I guarantee, within four weeks of being there John's will have become a trek from Catz, and the concept of going anywhere near Homerton will fill you with horror at how much energy you'll have to expend to get there :p:
Original post by Zoedotdot
Five minutes, at least! Besides, you haven't had time to get used to the warped sense of distance in Cambridge yet. I guarantee, within four weeks of being there John's will have become a trek from Catz, and the concept of going anywhere near Homerton will fill you with horror at how much energy you'll have to expend to get there :p:

Stop thwarting my attempts to convert people! :tongue:

Hmm...maybe I'm just a very fast walker? :dontknow:
Haha, I live in London, so Cambridge distance will be nothing to me!

Honestly it feels much longer. Basically the other side of cambridge

As I always say, a 5 minute walk is five times longer than a 1 minute walk :smile:
2000 words would be the length of essay you'd be expected to write for supervisions, so get used to it :p: 10-20 pages won't be what they're looking for in terms of the essays submitted as part of your application, you'll either have to find something shorter or write something new!

awwww ok I think I'll write something new... I just need to find an interesting topic. thanks for the help!
Stop thwarting my attempts to convert people! :tongue:

Hmm...maybe I'm just a very fast walker? :dontknow:
Haha, I live in London, so Cambridge distance will be nothing to me!

Hey, check my location, I live in London too. Trust me on this one, it happens to all of us :p: One minute walking from London Bridge to Marble Arch is a short stroll, the next you can't be bothered to go to the Market from Emma because it's so flipping far. Don't say I didn't warn you :wink:
Hey, check my location, I live in London too. Trust me on this one, it happens to all of us :p: One minute walking from London Bridge to Marble Arch is a short stroll, the next you can't be bothered to go to the Market from Emma because it's so flipping far. Don't say I didn't warn you :wink:

:rofl:

In that case, I concede defeat!

So weird, I've looked at your location before and never realised that you were a fellow Londoner!

^^ SO TRUE.

Although me and my friend have now walked to both Homerton and we went to Girton on Sunday (my feet were killing me by the end).

I now understand how lucky I am to be <5 minutes walk from all my lectures :biggrin:
Reply 1397
I'm going to an open day at Clare's on 1st June :biggrin: Am very excited. I've been to Cambridge a couple of times already and I really love the atmosphere. Can't wait to go :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
:rofl:

In that case, I concede defeat!

So weird, I've looked at your location before and never realised that you were a fellow Londoner!

And you're not even the slightest bit stalkery, right Charles? :wink: :wink:
Original post by Gooner231
And you're not even the slightest bit stalkery, right Charles? :wink: :wink:

Not at all, dear James... :colone:

Latest

Trending

Trending