The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Emma-Ashley
Don't you believe it! I've heard of people who have had well in excess of 100 hours and still not done a test...not my pupils though :tongue:

That's just mental. What a waste of money. They're being taken for a ride, surely? No-one can be that bad. It takes about 10 lessons to learn to drive and then another 4 or 5 to learn how to pass the test by memorising stupid stuff like putting your hands at 10 and 2.
Reply 21
I've done 30 hours, but I'm still not ready. But then I haven't practised at all outside my lessons, so I think that's a big factor.
Reply 22
Original post by chloe07
I've done 30 hours, but I'm still not ready. But then I haven't practised at all outside my lessons, so I think that's a big factor.

In what way aren't you ready? You mean you instructor says "You're not ready" (cough cough I'm not ready for you to stop paying me money cough cough).
Reply 23
Original post by py0alb
In what way aren't you ready? You mean you instructor says "You're not ready" (cough cough I'm not ready for you to stop paying me money cough cough).

That's what my parents keep saying. :smile: But I honestly don't think I am. I still don't understand roundabouts, and my instructor still has to use the dual controls sometimes.
Reply 24
Original post by chloe07
That's what my parents keep saying. :smile: But I honestly don't think I am. I still don't understand roundabouts, and my instructor still has to use the dual controls sometimes.

What don't you understand? Choose appropriate lane when approaching, wait til there is a gap before entering, and indicate left before you exit (apart from on a mini-roundabout).
Reply 25
Original post by py0alb
What don't you understand? Choose appropriate lane when approaching, wait til there is a gap before entering, and indicate left before you exit (apart from on a mini-roundabout).

You have to realise that some people are naturally bad drivers, and it will take much longer for them to learn (and they will probably always suck at driving). Also, people who don't care/hate driving tend to take a lot longer to learn. But anything over 50 seems ridiculous nevertheless.
I learnt over two summers, but i wasnt able to drive my mums car at all so all i have was lessons. I think it cost me around 800 quid in the end. I only took the pratical and the theory once.
Reply 27
It's the 'wait til there's a gap' that I struggle with. :smile: I'm really bad at judging things, plus I don't really understand what all the other cars are doing, especially on busy roundabouts.
Original post by bigmo7
Did you know the instructor or something? Seems a bit cheap for 60 hours.

Maths fail, I really should've gone to bed then. :colondollar: It actually came to around about £1400. :sigh:

Original post by py0alb
60 hours? Wut? :confused:

That can't possibly be right. Even Mo off "Driving School" didn't need that many lessons.

Yes, I did 40 or so up to my first test, I was taking my time a bit too much, then another 20 to the earliest slot I could do for test 2. I did 2 hour lessons a week. Over 7 months.
Reply 29
Original post by chloe07
It's the 'wait til there's a gap' that I struggle with. :smile: I'm really bad at judging things, plus I don't really understand what all the other cars are doing, especially on busy roundabouts.

they're all there specifically to get in your way.

If you're turning left you need a gap in the left lane, otherwise you need a gap in both lanes. Do you mean you find it hard judging the speed of the other cars?
I was meant to pass before going to uni but I failed my test.. so I had to keep having lessons in uni holidays, then having a test right at the end of a holiday. Wasn't the best plan really. I took about 1 year 3 months from when I had my first lesson to the date I passed. Neither of my parents drive so I had nobody I could drive with except my instructor. I think I had about 40-45 hours of lessons and you have to pay for an hour lesson whenever you have a test. So say 49 hours.

49 lessons at £17.50 per hour = £857.50
1 theory test at £31 = £31
4 practical tests at £62 each = £248

Total: £1136.50

My advice would be to drive with your family whenever you can! It gets expensive when the only time you drive is with your instructor!
Hiya,

I think it is unlikely that you are going to get any answer which is going to help very much. Everybody is different and your driving experience will stand you in good stead. Yes, you will have bad habits but those bad habits may not have any effect on your ability to pass a test.

My advice would be as follows:

1. Get a professional instructor first and find out what the deficiencies are in your driving. Go for an assessment covering all the manouevres and the instructor should be able to advise you as to what is going to cause a problem at test time and how long it will take you to get to test standard.

2. Take as many lessons from the instructor as you and they feel are necessary. Make sure that the instructor does not try to iron out the bad habits just because they are bad habits, but rather focusses on making you a safe driver in the eyes of the DSA examiner. These are very different things. For example, crossing your hands on the steering wheel is a bad habit but won't necessarily fail you; not looking over your right shoulder when pulling away, definitely will!

3. If necessary, go for assessments with more than one instructor. Pick the one who you feel understands your situation the best and gives you what you consider to be the best advice. Don't just go for the cheapest...

I hope that helps to some degree but you can really only answer your question yourself. It's not how long it takes others, it's how long it takes you :wink:

Since you're a driving instructor you'dprobably know the answer to this:

If one of my parents take me out for a lesson on public roads do I need any specific insurance? I know I need to display L-plates but am not sure on the insurance side.
Reply 32
Original post by py0alb

If you're turning left you need a gap in the left lane, otherwise you need a gap in both lanes. Do you mean you find it hard judging the speed of the other cars?

Yeah, I find it hard to know if I'll have time to go or not. Thanks for trying to help me. :smile:
I've had 12 or 13 hours and think i'll be ready by 30 so overall hopefully it should cost about £750. Plus my instructor said he'll let me do pass plus for free :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by py0alb
That's just mental. What a waste of money. They're being taken for a ride, surely? No-one can be that bad. It takes about 10 lessons to learn to drive and then another 4 or 5 to learn how to pass the test by memorising stupid stuff like putting your hands at 10 and 2.

I'm just saying what I know and what I have experienced. Not everyone learns at the same rate, some end up better drivers than others. As for the 'stupid stuff' that you have to memorise, that comment says so much about you as a driver! You are talking complete rubbish!

Original post by py0alb

I find this insulting to the vast majority of driving instructors who try very hard to give the best training they can and put people through their tests at the soonest opportunity.

Original post by py0alb

So if someone is coming round on the inside of the roundabout to take the same exit as you, you cut them up? :eek: I think I'd much rather be in a car with Chloe07 than you...:wink:
Reply 35
So if someone is coming round on the inside of the roundabout to take the same exit as you, you cut them up? :eek: I think I'd much rather be in a car with Chloe07 than you...:wink:

Lol, thanks. :smile: I thought that wasn't right. So, let me try and get this straight, the only time you can go at a roundabout is if both lanes are clear, or if somebody is signalling to turn left. Is that right?
Reply 36
I'm just saying what I know and what I have experienced. Not everyone learns at the same rate, some end up better drivers than others. As for the 'stupid stuff' that you have to memorise, that comment says so much about you as a driver! You are talking complete rubbish!

No-one actually drives like that once they have passed their test. Well - you see the occasional retard doing it just because they reverse into something.

I find this insulting to the vast majority of driving instructors who try very hard to give the best training they can and put people through their tests at the soonest opportunity.

Right, because no driving instructor has ever ripped anyone off, have they?

If the guys exiting and is still in the middle lane, then he's in the wrong lane.
Original post by py0alb
No-one actually drives like that once they have passed their test. Well - you see the occasional retard doing it just because they reverse into something.

Erm, yes they do. Again I take offence at your accusation that those who continue to drive the way they have been taught are in any way retards.

Right, because no driving instructor has ever ripped anyone off, have they?

There are those instructors who do, unfortunately. But to accuse all instructors of behaving like that is an unnecessary sweeping generalisation.

If the guys exiting and is still in the middle lane, then he's in the wrong lane.

We have a middle lane on the roundabout now...? So the fact that he is in the wrong, if indeed he is, means that you can pull out on him and it is safe to do so. I don't think so.

I always try to deal with people on here in the same way that I would teach them, with patience and understanding. However, I felt I had to comment on your dismissive and unhelpful comments. Whilst I understand the benefit of sharing opinions with many people, I cannot see how your disparaging comments are likely to help anyone to learn to drive.

Sorry for any offence.
Original post by Crazy Paving
1 theory test, 2 practical tests, 60 hours, it came to about £600.

You mad bro?

Op, I had 35 lessons, 1 theory 1 practical, it had cost around £800, but I has used my parents car for 6 months (around £400 insurance + pertrol money).
Reply 39
Original post by THEALB10N
Hi,

I am returning to the UK for uni after spending a couple years abroad in Asia. Naturally, I decided to get my driving licence when I turned 17 abroad. Due to the low standard of driving where I learned, I want to re-learn how to drive back home and get a UK licence. How much will it cost me to get through the whole process?

The good thing is, as I'm already a regular driver, I should be able to pick up things in my lessons much more quickly than the average learner. Also considering it only cost me about 220 quid for my whole driving licence abroad, I might actually save money if I end up taking less lessons in the UK.

Say the average lesson costs 25 quid, if I take 9 lessons less than I would have if I was a new driver I should save money!

So anyway, how much do you think the whole process would cost (from your own experience). How long it took would also be great!

Cheers,

I did 18 lessons at £22, and one theory test and one practical test. It cost me initially £2400 insurance for a year, but we got rid of my Dads car and he took mine, so I'm now second driver or something, so it's only £600 for a year now

Latest

Trending

Trending