The Student Room Group

A levels, apprenticeship, then uni?

Hi I'm currently 19, i decided after i got my A levels that i'd do an apprenticeship to gain the valuable experience & a professional engineering qualification. Because having spoken with alot of my older friends/ siblings it's hard finding a job after uni.

But i was just wondering, when I'm fully qualified I'll be 22-23? Would it be a good idea to take it to the next level and do a degree/ masters?

I just figure all the extra experience will help, and don't know what route to take, can anyone speak from experience of both university and an apprenticeship? Thanks
Reply 1
It depends on what you would like to do in the future. There are different levels of engineers. There are fitters/welders etc. then there are engineering technicians and then there are professional engineers. If you wish to become an engineering technician you will need at least a HNC and proven track record in the area you wish to become a technician in. If you wish to become a professional engineer at chartered status you will need a Beng at least and really you need an Meng.

If your company sees you have performed well on your apprenticeship they may even sponsor your degree.

Just out of curiosity what company are you with and what qualifications are they offering as part of the apprenticeship?

Quick Reply

Latest