The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Penguinsaysquack
It's hard to say in that you could have the best work experience ever, but if you don't know how to use that to show what you've learned etc then it's useless.

If you can get a job as a HCA or similar then great! It's not exactly going to hurt your application :nah:
But at the same time if you don't then it doesn't mean an instant fail :h:

I would recommend more work experience and voluntary work :yep:

But worth finding out if anything else let your application down too..

Oh and as for a job in general.. trust me when I say a year is a very long time to spend at home, so I would say getting a job would help with your sanity.. literally

Im applying to dentistry so I dont think there are any HCA type assistant jobs in dental practices. Might just have to look for any old retail job. thanks
Original post by chestntrapzbrah

Original post by chestntrapzbrah
Im applying to dentistry so I dont think there are any HCA type assistant jobs in dental practices. Might just have to look for any old retail job. thanks

I just helped a dentist?

I best go take a shower, I feel dirty :afraid:

Spoiler

Reply 2202
hey,
i need some info..im also gonna be a reapplicant, but i wanted to know, what should i do IF i dont get AAA at a level? :s shall i resit in january? but then are there any unis that will accept them?

also a general question for nyone else doing a levels, what will ur backup plan be? grad entry?

just need to kno what other options there are
Reply 2203
also, most of the work experience i will do is AFTER the ucas deadline, so do i jus say in my PS that i hope to learn xyz from my work experiencece at xyz ?
:s
Original post by 786girl
also, most of the work experience i will do is AFTER the ucas deadline, so do i jus say in my PS that i hope to learn xyz from my work experiencece at xyz ?

Say that you will be going on those placements and say something like 'I hope to gain a further insight into the ways staff work in hospital.....' or something.

It would look a bit odd if you said what you expected to learn exactly before you went :tongue:
Reply 2205
Original post by 786girl
hey,
i need some info..im also gonna be a reapplicant, but i wanted to know, what should i do IF i dont get AAA at a level? :s shall i resit in january? but then are there any unis that will accept them?

also a general question for nyone else doing a levels, what will ur backup plan be? grad entry?

No idea :/ This was something I didn't really think about. If I don't get AAA, then maybe I'll try clearing? I really don't know. It would probably be grad entry, or just take the gap year anyway, and try and decide on a new career path.

Original post by 786girl

Try to talk more about work experience you've already done, but mention it and say something vague about what you want to gain from it(maybe talk about how it'll give you a different experience to the stuff you've already done?)

But yayy, I've been shortlisted from some literacy and numeracy test for a bank position. Buttt, what do I wear? I know its a typical girl thing to say, but it isn't an interview, so I don't know whether it would be right to wear a suit? :s-smilie: It doesn't say anything about preparation for this thing, so I'm hoping its just a test to see if I'm literate and can count to ten haha.
Original post by dmz
Oh nice, i applied to over 40jobs at least and worked as door to door salesman for 2days but it was too dishonest plus a rip off. Ha nice, carer jobs are nice if you want loads of hours. It's not very glamorous but once you make it past first few weeks it only gets easier

Fair man
I'm not really after the glamour.
Rent and hot meals will do me :smile:
Reply 2207
Original post by 786girl

i was screwed in like manner. Couldn't start HCA till after application
Original post by 786girl
hey,

(current re-app answering here)

If you don't get AAA then you'll probably need to resit as there aren't exactly many AAB uni's left..
You'll also need to check here first to see what resit policies they have and before you apply make sure you check it since the info is a little bit out of date now.
Also you'll need to make sure you meet other min requirements.

Thankfully I didn't need to do any resits, but I would recommend doing them in January so that if need be you can have 2 tries at them :yep:

Obv I'm a re-app atm so I chose to reapply, but if I had failed again this year I would have gone for grad entry.. if you can acknowledge where you went wrong and find a way to correct that then I strongly recommend re-applying :yep:

Options:
1) Get into med school :awesome:
2) Re-apply :smug:
3) Grad Entry :work:
4) Go abroad :flybye:
5) Give up :noway:

Original post by 786girl

Mention it, but not too much since uni's want to know what you have already learnt, and if you only mention future projects then your chances aren't great...

Oh and if you get AAA or above and score over 650 average on UKCAT then apply to Barts and the London and you might get to meet me next year :wink:
Original post by twelve
But yayy, I've been shortlisted from some literacy and numeracy test for a bank position. Buttt, what do I wear? I know its a typical girl thing to say, but it isn't an interview, so I don't know whether it would be right to wear a suit? :s-smilie: It doesn't say anything about preparation for this thing, so I'm hoping its just a test to see if I'm literate and can count to ten haha.

Congratz on being shortlisted! :five:
You've pretty much got the job now cos the test is easy and i doubt there's many people to compete with you at this stage :rolleyes:

I had this exact dilemma lol. I would wear smart black trousers/skirt and a nice blouse/shirt. In this weather, it might be a bit OTT to wear a suit, but i think you can't go wrong with looking professional whether it be in the test/interview/induction/whatever :smile:

Is this in a hospital/care home?

Good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 2210
Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek
Congratz on being shortlisted! :five:
You've pretty much got the job now cos the test is easy and i doubt there's many people to compete with you at this stage :rolleyes:

I had this exact dilemma lol. I would wear smart black trousers/skirt and a nice blouse/shirt. In this weather, it might be a bit OTT to wear a suit, but i think you can't go wrong with looking professional whether it be in the test/interview/induction/whatever :smile:

Is this in a hospital/care home?

Good luck! :biggrin:

Yayy :biggrin: Yeahh, I would have thought I'm pretty much guaranteed the interview at least :smile: I was hoping someone would say that :P

Yeah, okay, I reckon I'll just go for the smart trousers and cardigan thing - pretty much like work experience :smile:

Its a bank position in the hospital, so would be absolutely perfect if I got it.
Original post by twelve
Yayy :biggrin: Yeahh, I would have thought I'm pretty much guaranteed the interview at least :smile: I was hoping someone would say that :P

Yeah, okay, I reckon I'll just go for the smart trousers and cardigan thing - pretty much like work experience :smile:

Its a bank position in the hospital, so would be absolutely perfect if I got it.

where abouts do you live?
Reply 2212
Original post by firestar101
where abouts do you live?

I live in the West Midlands - its in the Birmingham hospitals that this position is :smile:
Original post by twelve

Perfect :smile:

Just did my induction for my sales assistant job and was going through the hours
I'm concerned it may clash with my HCA one (in which case i'd just reduce/drop the sales assistant one).. :s-smilie:

But I have no way of knowing because the lady didn't get back to me after she offered me the job on the phone.
She said something about HR approving it plus requesting references but its been almost two weeks now and i don't really know where i stand
Do you know if its meant to take this long..? Don't wanna ring in and ask because i'm not sure how to word it without sounding like "Hurry the f*** up wtf's taking so long"..
Reply 2214
Original post by FunsizedKarateGeek
Perfect :smile:

Just did my induction for my sales assistant job and was going through the hours
I'm concerned it may clash with my HCA one (in which case i'd just reduce/drop the sales assistant one).. :s-smilie:

But I have no way of knowing because the lady didn't get back to me after she offered me the job on the phone.
She said something about HR approving it plus requesting references but its been almost two weeks now and i don't really know where i stand
Do you know if its meant to take this long..? Don't wanna ring in and ask because i'm not sure how to word it without sounding like "Hurry the f*** up wtf's taking so long"..

Hmm, I don't know how long it would take - but I guess say they need two references, why don't you ask your references whether they've filled anything out for you yet? I don't know really, but two weeks sounds like a while, but if they are quite busy, it wouldn't surprise me.

Also, about the hours - are they fixed hours? Or could you try and swap with someone else?
Reply 2215
hello,
I dropped biology after AS but some universities want it up to A-level. I am planning to take a gap year- if i do biology so that I bring it up to a-level-is that considered retake because i want variation so i dropped biology and kept chemistry maths and history.
i want to apply for medicine-would the biology be considered a retake even though i havnt done the A2 part and want to pick it up( and not do the AS part)
Reply 2216
hello,
I dropped biology after AS but some universities want it up to A-level. I am planning to take a gap year- if i do biology so that I bring it up to a-level-is that considered retake because i want variation so i dropped biology and kept chemistry maths and history.
i want to apply for medicine-would the biology be considered a retake even though i havnt done the A2 part and want to pick it up( and not do the AS part)
Reply 2217
Original post by mashalli
hello,

I'd say probably email the universities and ask them - but if not all universities ask for it up to A level, why don't you just apply to those ones?
Original post by mashalli
hello,

You have to be careful there since it's not classed as a resit, but some universities are very specific that you take your A levels in a 2 year period..

Best advice is probably to check with each university you're thinking of applying to and going from there :h:
Reply 2219
Original post by twelve
I'd say probably email the universities and ask them - but if not all universities ask for it up to A level, why don't you just apply to those ones?

I want to apply to bm6 as one of my options because i meet the other requirements. They want biology up to a-level but i have it up to AS and if i do take it its outside two years so i dont know what bm6 would say seeing as they havnt specified it has to be done within two years-anywher to find out if its need to be done within two years?
will my application be disadvantaged? What would I put on my ucas form?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending