Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, don't want to derail the thread, but any advice on a couple of my queries will be extremely helpful. Thanks.

Having studied biology around eight years ago and having got an A at A-level, I’m having to resit my biology exam again, as some universities have messaged me via e-mail saying that I don’t have any recent academic history which will put me at a disadvantage with other candidates.

I’ve been looking at different boards and although I favour Edexcel due to having a good past-experience, I’ve noticed the specification has changed drastically in comparison to the one I did.

I find that my old specification resembles OCR biology, a lot. However, looking at various threads I’ve noticed many people criticise OCR for setting exam papers which don’t relate at all to the specification. I’m hoping that those sitting the OCR exam board can shed some light on this issue. Is it truly that bad?

As for those sitting Edexcel, is this also the case?

Having sat Edexcel previously, as long as you go through the specification point by point, use a couple of textbooks for note taking and do past papers, you were assured an A. Edexcel were brilliant at asking questions relating to the specification. For those sitting Edexcel, is this still the case?
    At the moment, I’m torn between OCR and Edexcel, so any help would be great appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sag_2u07)
    Thanks I'm still in two minds but I might leave the remark alone then because of what happened to u. I wish we didn't have any cw because I SUCK at it!!
    I hate CW too but I am usually fine with it. If you think your cw might go up then go for it. I really want the A* in bio so I went for the remark - if you think it has a chance to go up then you never know.

But I do think there is something wrong - in the sense that many people who did well in the exams (but not all) did worse/a lot worse in the CW therefore they didn't achieve the A*. It seems that Edexcel don't want to hand out too many A*s for Bio (my own opinion). I am going to speak to my teacher later on and see if I should appeal further (my cw was pretty good and I followed the markscheme 100% and listened to the examiners recording for what they are looking for in the CW and still lost a lot of marks). So let's see. If you think you have a chance then go for it I reckon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tkoki1993)
    Notes for topic 8 done...
    The layout of it is a bit messed up because my laptop broke so had to use my brother's netbook... long story short, the netbook is too small for me to see the layout of notes properly.
    anyhoo here they are
    http://www.4shared.com/document/rYvY...-_Topic_8.html
    I just found your notes while looking this thread, these notes are literally amazinggg can thank you enough.

Thanks for uploading your notes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 06npate)
    I just found your notes while looking this thread, these notes are literally amazinggg can thank you enough.

Thanks for uploading your notes
    you're welcome!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tkoki1993)
    you're welcome!
    Let me echo my compliments. Normally I don't like using other peoples notes but this gives me a really good starting block. Cheers for this.

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, can someone pleease upload the 6BIO5 bio january 2013 question paper and markscheme? Thank yoouu

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.