The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Violetlynnv
And here lies the root of the problem. There IS no true sense of strong British culture, aside from double-decker buses/fish and chips. But the answer isn't in kicking out the immigrants; the vast majority of them are already well-integrated into their communities and retain only the most basic values of their home cultures (and maybe the food, but that's nothing to complain about!). The answer is in embracing these new additions rather than isolating them into designated groups, mixing everyone together and creating a new, all-inclusive culture which is still, for the most part, British. :smile:

Cultures and attitudes evolve often radically between generations. It would be near-impossible to remove expatriates from the UK since there are over 4 million of them. Also, it is quite rare that people, especially under 30, are 'isolated into designated groups'. English is an international language and since the overwhelming majority of Londoners are able to speak it - this means that nearly all workplaces, universities, schools, sports teams etc. are multiethnic.
Reply 82
The powers that be have deliberately opened the borders to immigration as part of a systematic break down of national identity whilst they give away our sovereignty to the EU.

In a global economy there can be no room for nations to dictate and regulate trade.
Original post by ilickbatteries
Are you claiming that all humans are African? That's a bit too far back to go, IMO, especially since the species has gone through so many changes since then.

No, I'm claiming that all humans are humans. I was just making the point that deciding at what point you define the British ethnic group is a decision made entirely without basis. Ultimately "Britain" and "British" only have meaning with regards a nation with somewhat arbitrary boundaries including an arbitrary set of people, invented by people, and has no real meaning outside of legality.
Original post by sucess
being born in a dog house dont make you a dog

so please stop trying to be someone you're not

This analogy means nothing. If you are born in a dog house you are not a dog because a dog and a human are different SPECIES. A guy born to Indian parents, born and raised in the UK is still the same species as the natives, and he is British.
Original post by Theconomist
I didn't explain myself.
I'm not talking about the nationality.
I mean the culture,heritage,ancestry etc.
Khalid Von Bronchrost Devon might hold a british passport but that doesn't make him a brit in my books.

I couldn't give toss what you class as British.
I wasn't born here, but I was raised and educated here. I joined Her Majesty's Armed Forces and am studying part time with the OU.
I have never broken the law or even been in trouble with the police. I wear the union flag on my shoulder with pride and would die for the UK, but because I wasn't born here and am not White I'm not British?
But I suppose the grabastic epedimically lazy chavs who live off state benefits and spend more time in the local police cell than their council flat are more British than me?
Yeah don't think so pal.
The only reason the 'ethnics' are doing relatively better than the whites is because we don't expect everything handed to us on a plate by the government and are grateful to be here. We come from poorer backgrounds so we work hard to make a success for our children.
Don't hate us for it though, our grandchildren will be just as lazy, ignorant and self-entitled as you are and will join you in your rant against the new generation of immigrants who work hard and keep the British economy going.
Reply 86
Original post by DLJ
If I'm being totally honest, I cannot wait till I graduate from university. Then, I will hottail out of here to the US or Australia. Partly because I dislike the social structure here- e.g. the amount of Oxbridge entrants coming from private schools and the "posh" people of Britain. But also because of the laid back lifestyle and that people are not directly out to get you.
If this country changed then I would stay, but it seems that the transition into a massively cosmopolitan country is fast becoming. I heard that, in a borough in Birmingham, over 80% of the students at a primary school were Asian. We are losing our integrity and credibility in this country. Immigration needs to be changed. Quick.

:colonhash:
Let me get this straight, you want to leave britain because of immigration levels but want to go to USA/Australia, countries largely made up of immigrants and were the indigenous populations (especialy america) and their cultures have practicaly been reduced to nothing (which is what you think will happen here).
Also america has a much higher immigration rate than the UK and is much more likely (infact definently) going to se a large change in demographics, with the percentage of Americans of European decent likely to largley decrease, with those of Hispanic decent to rapidly increase.
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,959610-3,00.html
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2009/01/the-end-of-white-america/7208/

How about Iceland? People say it's nice.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by style
:colonhash:
Let me get this straight, you want to leave britain because of immigration levels but want to go to USA/Australia, countries largely made up of immigrants and were the indigenous populations (especialy america) and their cultures have practicaly been reduced to nothing (which is what you think will happen here).

More amusingly - he wants to leave Britain because of immigration levels and up the immigration level somewhere else by moving there himself.
Let it go. Referring to yourself as 'English/British' as a way of associating yourself with a sense of culture, history and pride is just a lazy way to define an individual.
You most likely share as many traits and attributes with those foreigners than you do with what you describe as 'British'. It's irrelevant and pointless.
Being British is about driving a German car to an Irish pub for a Belgian beer, then traveling home, grabbing an Indian curry or a Turkish kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV.

This statement couldn't be further from the truth.

Looks like colonisation backfires a few decades after most countries become independent.

The smartest people in England are foreigners(just look at Oxbridge's recent Ph.D grads).
The richest people in England are foreigners.
The most beautiful people in England are foreigners.

Foreigners hold the top private sector jobs.
Foreigners are buying up your country one corporation at a time:
Wether it is Harrods or Manchester City,Bentley or Cadbury.

What happened?

Clearly all those years of free for all jobs aren't working for the british population.

I'm not being racist or anything but the day white british citizens will be a minority in THEIR own country will be a sad day.

(I live in a country like that altough the circumstances are different).

Who failed?

the politicians?

the people?

colonial ancestors?

Oh and don't get me wrong, the same is happening in countries such as France,Germany,Spain,Italy and the United States altough none is as rapid and sudden as in England.

What a shame.

Multiculturalism isn't working as intended unfortunately.

The british people are the ones being assimilated into the African,South east asian and east european cultures that are springing up in all areas of Britain.

Here is a question to all the white british people with a british ancestry.

What does being british mean to you in 2011?

Please refrain from trolling/coming up with witty answers in hope that those reading them will be impressed.

I'm geniunely interested in hearing both sides of the spectrum.

its called globalisation you see, that what you get for having cargo ships, planes and trains making most countries accessible within hours
I see what you're saying about identifying with a "British" culture and heritage (even if you've phrased your arguments a little unfortunately) but that really doesn't make any sense.

For one thing, you seem to be assuming that British=English. Which it does not.

White, Scottish people (like me) have a different culture and a different heritage to you. But we're both British. Britain is a melting pot with four very different Home Nations, plus we had an Empire and encouraged many people to move from the colonies to Britain to help rebuild and grow after WWII.

Your idea of "Britishness" - the English countryside, the Queen, tweed, afternoon tea, jolly hockey sticks - is just not right. I'm sorry.

Also, y'know, there's the whole "Out of Africa" thing. Which means we are all immigrants.
Being British is about driving a German car to an Irish pub for a Belgian beer, then traveling home, grabbing an Indian curry or a Turkish kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV.

Looks like colonisation backfires a few decades after most countries become independent.

The smartest people in England are foreigners(just look at Oxbridge's recent Ph.D grads).

You do realise that they've paid to go to such establishments and that some of the money they actually pay goes towards funding to educate British students dont you? If they've got good grades at Oxford and have paid for them as well as put in the hard work and years of dedication to that particular subject then good luck to them. They've also helped the British economy.

The richest people in England are foreigners.

So what? They've worked for their money and can choose to invest it wherever they like. Also, the money they invest keeps British people in jobs and also helps the economy as they pay tax.

The most beautiful people in England are foreigners.

This is based on your opinion. All people have different views on who are beautiful people. Loads of women like Lewis Hamilton, hes British mixed race. Loads of men like Cheryl Cole, she's from Newcastle.

Foreigners hold the top private sector jobs.

Because they've worked for them. I bet a lot of the people you refer to as foreign are British mixed raced people anyway. I also see a lot of foreigners in takeaways, taxi drivers, bus drivers etc but somehow, according to you they have all the top jobs.

Foreigners are buying up your country one corporation at a time:
Wether it is Harrods or Manchester City,Bentley or Cadbury.

Its their money and they're free to invest it wherever they want and the British economy benefits from them doing so. You really cannot complain. A few clubs in football have been bailed out of administration by foreign owners and had they gone into liquidation that would effect the economy. Instead they saved them and are now contributing tax and keeping people in jobs.

What happened?

You read the Daily Mail once too often.

Clearly all those years of free for all jobs aren't working for the british population.

Who said they were meant to work for the British population? We are a multicultural country and have been for some time. People who work hard deserve good jobs regardless of nationality.

I'm not being racist or anything but the day white british citizens will be a minority in THEIR own country will be a sad day.

When this day comes, if it ever does, you, your grandchildren, or their grandchildren will not be on the planet to witness it as its that far away, more than likely further.

(I live in a country like that altough the circumstances are different).

Who failed? no one in regards to multi culturalism .

the politicians? they've failed in more ways than one but there is nothing they can do about foreign people working hard to achieve better in their lives. Foreign investment has helped this country massively.

the people?

colonial ancestors?

Oh and don't get me wrong, the same is happening in countries such as France,Germany,Spain,Italy and the United States altough none is as rapid and sudden as in England.

What a shame.

Multiculturalism isn't working as intended unfortunately.

And in which way was multiculturalism supposed to work then? enlighten me to the marvellous and pro intellectual ideas on cultural integration you have. As far as im concerned, the UK is a less racist place than it was in the 80's and so on. Yes we have the EDL and the BNP but most people disregard them and understand that we are all people, regardless of nationality, race or origin. In the 80's you'd have groups of skinhead gangs walking the streets beating foreigners up like it was a hobby. If anything, Britain should be proud that its now a nation where many cultures can live together. As for people saying that different cultures dont mix, its nonsense. I have many muslim friends from Asia who are great people and in some ways I value them more than some of my British friends.

The british people are the ones being assimilated into the African,South east asian and east european cultures that are springing up in all areas of Britain.

Here is a question to all the white british people with a british ancestry.

What does being british mean to you in 2011?

If being British means being disrespectful to foreign people who come over here to better themselves, gain an education and get a good qualified job then I dont want to be regarded as British. In some ways I hate the tag 'British' because all it gets associated with today is people who constantly moan that the country is being taken over and that they dont mix and dont speak English blah blah blah! So what? How many Brits do you see in Spain speaking in Spanish? Hardly any! They're far more concerned getting rat assed near the beach and thats why Brits have the reputation they have abroad. I think its very hypocritical to moan about foreigners coming here and not speaking English when British people rarely make the effort abroad. If anything, us Brits can learn things from their cultures as much as they can from ours. By learning from each other we can help us become better as a society but moaning about how they're taking all the top jobs, getting all the PhD's and own all the businesses is pathetic and is completely stupid.

Please refrain from trolling/coming up with witty answers in hope that those reading them will be impressed.

I'm geniunely interested in hearing both sides of the spectrum.

I find it funny how you call yourself 'Theconomist' yet you can't even grasp the fact that foreigners who come here to university pay their fees up front and benefit the economy and foreign businessmen/women who invest here benefit the economy.
(edited 13 years ago)

Original post by DLJ
If I'm being totally honest, I cannot wait till I graduate from university. Then, I will hottail out of here to the US or Australia. Partly because I dislike the social structure here- e.g. the amount of Oxbridge entrants coming from private schools and the "posh" people of Britain. But also because of the laid back lifestyle and that people are not directly out to get you.
If this country changed then I would stay, but it seems that the transition into a massively cosmopolitan country is fast becoming. I heard that, in a borough in Birmingham, over 80% of the students at a primary school were Asian. We are losing our integrity and credibility in this country. Immigration needs to be changed. Quick.

Yeah but Birmingham and London make up the highest percentage of ethnic minorities nationally. There are several places outside London and Birmingham where to see a Black / Asian person would be incredibly rare. You can also move to a rural area, no-one's stopping you. Yes, immigration needs to be sorted but no-one seems to give a **** about the Irish immigrating - 14% of the Irish population live in England.
We've heard all of this before. Same old arguments. People on one side trying too hard to be outrageous. People on the other side showing everybody how liberal they are. Find something more productive to do. :yawn:
Reply 94

You've just outlined (And exaggerated) the effects Globalisation, good job, and as anyone with a brain can tell from the term GLOBALisation, it is nothing unique to the UK or something that directly challenges or endangers British heritage.
Reply 95
Original post by pol pot noodles
I wasn't born here, but I was raised and educated here. I joined Her Majesty's Armed Forces and am studying part time with the OU.
I have never broken the law or even been in trouble with the police. I wear the union flag on my shoulder with pride and would die for the UK, but because I wasn't born here and am not White I'm not British?
But I suppose the grabastic epedimically lazy chavs who live off state benefits and spend more time in the local police cell than their council flat are more British than me?
Yeah don't think so pal.
The only reason the 'ethnics' are doing relatively better than the whites is because we don't expect everything handed to us on a plate by the government and are grateful to be here. We come from poorer backgrounds so we work hard to make a success for our children.
Don't hate us for it though, our grandchildren will be just as lazy, ignorant and self-entitled as you are and will join you in your rant against the new generation of immigrants who work hard and keep the British economy going.

+ve rep tomorrow when I'll get some more :biggrin:
The term british is as useless as the people who take pride in expressing the fact. Societies change, get over it.
Original post by effofex
The overwhelming majority of white people aren't British.

In Britain?

What are they then?

On the census they're White British.
Original post by pol pot noodles
Yeah don't think so pal.

every word of this is true! +rep

I have the ultimate respect for foreigners that come over here to better themselves and try and provide a better life for themselves and their family. I know a lot of foreigners who work extremely hard every day to support their kids, as I do British. To me though, it seems there are far more British families claiming than foreign families.

In my opinion, you are more British than them as you're contributing far more to the economy!
Normans. Foreign.
Saxons. Foreign.
Romans. Foreign.
Hell even the Celts were from somewhere else.
Britain has always had a large immigrant population, now they're being made scapegoats even more than ever. Do you read the Daily Mail or Express by any chance?

Latest

Trending

Trending