The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Im "British" and i welcome this. the sooner we think of each other as humans as opposed to English or French or German or Chinese or whatever the better
Original post by planetearth
Maybe people are beginning to realise no matter how many labels you put on someone, we are all just human and alike, and that is all that really matters.

Never a truer word said.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 162
Original post by kerily
You really cannot know with these things. I'm white, was born in England, have lived in England all my life and hold a British passport, so people tend to assume that I'm 'British' - and often take this assumption far enough to complain about non-British people in front of me. But I actually have rather substantial family in Germany (my aunt and grandmother are German citizens), have more German heritage than 'British', am frantically trying to learn German as a language and fully see myself as a German. It entertains me that superficially, I'm the sort of person you might hold up as a shining example of 'Britishness', and yet I'm as foreign as you can be :teehee: And on the flip side, I know people who are of Asian descent and may even have moved to Britain as children from an Asian country, and yet identify as fully British. Just goes to show that you never can tell.

You should have learnt German a long time ago
Original post by Theconomist

Here is a question to all the white british people with a british ancestry.

What does being british mean to you in 2011?

I'm geniunely interested in hearing both sides of the spectrum.

Being British isn't about being rich, or shopping at harrods. These are all material things.

For me, being British is the beautiful countryside, the food, going to the pub with friends, taking a boat out on the broads, spending a night at the dogs, fish and chips at the beach, climbing Ben Nevis, going to a gig and seeing some fresh british musical talent, the perverse and unknowable British humour, the fantastic literature, cricket, punting, crabbing etc

All these things still well and truly exist, and can still be experienced today.
Original post by DLJ
If I'm being totally honest, I cannot wait till I graduate from university. Then, I will hottail out of here to the US or Australia.... Immigration needs to be changed. Quick.

Too bad the native americans and aborigines didn't control immigration, eh?
Reply 165
Original post by Pfundner
Im "British" and i welcome this. the sooner we think of each other as humans as opposed to English or French or German or Chinese or whatever the better

Live and let live if someone wants to be thought of as British or Japanese then so what let them,.

Why must there be some sort of NWO dictat that removes all our identities.
Reply 166
Being British is about driving a German car to an Irish pub for a Belgian beer, then traveling home, grabbing an Indian curry or a Turkish kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV.

This statement couldn't be further from the truth.

Looks like colonisation backfires a few decades after most countries become independent.

The smartest people in England are foreigners(just look at Oxbridge's recent Ph.D grads).
The richest people in England are foreigners.
The most beautiful people in England are foreigners.

Foreigners hold the top private sector jobs.
Foreigners are buying up your country one corporation at a time:
Wether it is Harrods or Manchester City,Bentley or Cadbury.

What happened?

Clearly all those years of free for all jobs aren't working for the british population.

I'm not being racist or anything but the day white british citizens will be a minority in THEIR own country will be a sad day.

(I live in a country like that altough the circumstances are different).

Who failed?

the politicians?

the people?

colonial ancestors?

Oh and don't get me wrong, the same is happening in countries such as France,Germany,Spain,Italy and the United States altough none is as rapid and sudden as in England.

What a shame.

Multiculturalism isn't working as intended unfortunately.

The british people are the ones being assimilated into the African,South east asian and east european cultures that are springing up in all areas of Britain.

Please refrain from trolling/coming up with witty answers in hope that those reading them will be impressed.

Wtf do you expect this aint 14 century. Mostly every country in Northern Hemisphere has the same. Its all business, why is it only the British that complain? Do you want to maybe close all the trading? all the borders? and live in a little bubble, we will then see how this country survives.
Reply 167
Original post by Txi
You should have learnt German a long time ago

I agree; it's a lovely language and one which everyone should have in their lives as soon as possible.

I'm fully aware that you're actually insinuating that I should have learnt German as soon as possible so I could **** off out of your lovely country as soon as possible, don't worry. I just thought I'd be positive.
Being British is about driving a German car to an Irish pub for a Belgian beer, then traveling home, grabbing an Indian curry or a Turkish kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV.

Looks like colonisation backfires a few decades after most countries become independent.

The smartest people in England are foreigners(just look at Oxbridge's recent Ph.D grads).

What happened?

Clearly all those years of free for all jobs aren't working for the british population.

I'm not being racist or anything but the day white british citizens will be a minority in THEIR own country will be a sad day.

Who failed?

the politicians?

the people?

colonial ancestors?

Oh and don't get me wrong, the same is happening in countries such as France,Germany,Spain,Italy and the United States altough none is as rapid and sudden as in England.

What a shame.

The british people are the ones being assimilated into the African,South east asian and east european cultures that are springing up in all areas of Britain.

Please refrain from trolling/coming up with witty answers in hope that those reading them will be impressed.

White Britains are only a minority because the birthrate amung white women is lower than the replacement rate. Causing a declining population that has existed for many a year untill we opened our borders. We have to supress the downsides to a aging population, and that requires more people. Unless you want to make more children, and pay more taxes (because baby boomers are now starting to retire, putting strain on the budget)... then i suggest you keep that big mouth shut.
Reply 169
Original post by kerily
I agree; it's a lovely language and one which everyone should have in their lives as soon as possible.

I'm fully aware that you're actually insinuating that I should have learnt German as soon as possible so I could **** off out of your lovely country as soon as possible, don't worry. I just thought I'd be positive.

No I am not.

I'm not even British, I'm a Chinese Malaysian.

My point was that I think German is a superior language than English and I too am thinking of picking up as much as I can
It's just painful because White Englishmen used to run the world and now White Englishmen cant even excel in their own country against other ethnic groups.

A hundred years back the greatest Inventors, Engineers, Entrepreneurs etc were White Brits. Not anymore. We are a generation with a superiority complex yet the environment we live in does not showcase those beliefs...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 171
We live in a globalized world.
Reply 172
Original post by Studentrepreneur
It's just painful because White Englishmen used to run the world and now White Englishmen cant even excel in their own country against other ethnic groups.

A hundred years back the greatest Inventors, Engineers, Entrepreneurs etc were White Brits. Not anymore. We are a generation with a superiority complex yet the environment we live in does not showcase those beliefs...

'White englishmen' represent a very small part of the world's population.

Thus it only stands to mathematical fact that it is much more likely people from other nationalities will take such spots as 'best engineers' etc.

The world is becomign more globalised, LEDC's are becoming MEDC's, countries such as the BRIC countries are doing much better than they were before, thus with countries economies rising we are bound to see 'new' things pop up from those countries.
Reply 173
We need to consider passing a law to ensure brits marry someone from a different race to ensure a future mixed raced majority.

It's absolutley RIDICULOUS that Britain still has a white majority. Idealistically we should have no racial majority.

We've just got to hope and pray that the tories piss up on immigration and Britain can become a full multicultural country.

A mixed raced majority is what is required. The faster we do it the better as well to get rid of racism and finally live in a more peacefuly society.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by viksta1000
The Queen is British :biggrin:

wait what's that? She's German? :eek:

not german, reptilian
Reply 175
Original post by Joey_Barton
Ah, exactly, not knowing the National Anthem is what being British is about, that's why we're so cool! Why should we learn to sing a song about how great we are? Walk the walk, don't sing the boring ditty about some posh benefit claimant. I suppose this is what *I* think being British is about (to sum up my last post):

1. Inhibited, but not phoney
2. Pessimistic (again, but honest)
3. Non-religious
4. Non-patriotic
5. Original sense of humour
6. Ugly prime ministers, hence, chosen on merit rather than looks. Except that is bloody changing now with Blair and Cameron/Clegg.

Haha I completely agree with this. Especially point number 2 :tongue: Although for number 5 surely you meant "Superior sense of humour" :wink:
Reply 176
Original post by Violetlynnv
I agree that Britain has recently become insanely multicultural -

I don't think it has though - I live in a large town where you can go weeks without seeing a non-white person. It comes as something of a surprise when you do see one.

London, Birmingham, Leicester and some neighbourhoods in nothern towns are multicultural; everywhere else is as white as it's always been.
I don't think Britain is mulitcultural enough.

I agree with Gnobe, Britains still far too white, personally.
Reply 178
Original post by Sharpshooter
I don't think Britain is mulitcultural enough.

I agree with Gnobe, Britains still far too white, personally.

If everyone agrees to visit the tanning salon twice a week, will that shut you up?

What happened?

Who failed?

the politicians?

the people?

colonial ancestors?

What a shame.

If British people represent the uglier, stupider, economically intelligent, lazier portion of society (as suggested by the bold parts), is it not a good thing that they're becoming the minority?

Latest

Trending

Trending