The Student Room Group

Feel lonely

I feel like such a loser. I'm in the middle of doing my teacher training, and have also finished university in another town. I'm a very sociable person, at uni I met so many people and became best friends with a girl who I am still best mates with now, however me and her did everything together and even though we hung around with other people, this in a way prevented me from being close friends with others.

However I do have a few more close female friends, but they all live outside of London including my best mate. I do go to see them occasionally but this obviously costs money/travelling is so long therefore it's not something I can do every weekend. They can't come and visit me because I live with my parents, because we don't have much freedom to do what we like here.

Me and my bf of 4 years also broke up in July, he started going out with someone else in September and has been contacting me ever since. Sending me messages saying he loves me/misses me which really messes me up, and I met up with him a few times but realised he will always be a liar.

I do get invited to things outside of London but just don't have any friends I can hang around with here! The school I'm working at is a placement school and hardly anyone is friendly or people I would be a good match with as friends/or they're too old.

I'm 22 and female, I'd say I'm good looking. Never had problems with meeting/being friends with people at uni but I just feel so alone here! Not sure what to do :s-smilie: Any ideas? It's just so much harder to make friends with people at 22, especially with other girls!
Reply 1
It sounds like you're just missing your boyfriend and with good reason - he shouldn't be making you think or feel a certain way when he is still with someone. You don't need a boyfriend to fill a void, appreciate the friendships that you do have.
Reply 2
Its not harder to make friends at 22.. It actually gets easier with age I think. Im 24 and have spent years going to random places on my own and making friends easily - lots of travelling, and work in sales/travelling around country alot, plus the current course Im on I didnt know anyone and have made aload of friends and we are going out alot.

Ugh looks like Im boasting or something, seriously Im not, but my point is it isnt to do with age for sure. Sounds more like geographically your in a closed community of sorts and just havent met many sociable people.
Reply 3
Original post by AidyD
Its not harder to make friends at 22.. It actually gets easier with age I think. Im 24 and have spent years going to random places on my own and making friends easily - lots of travelling, and work in sales/travelling around country alot, plus the current course Im on I didnt know anyone and have made aload of friends and we are going out alot.

Ugh looks like Im boasting or something, seriously Im not, but my point is it isnt to do with age for sure. Sounds more like geographically your in a closed community of sorts and just havent met many sociable people.

Yes.. and people on my uni course are all a lot older than me or married or not the going out type! Where as I like going out to raves etc. so not sure where I would meet like minded people apart from raves but then you can't really make friends with people in places like that.. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of being able to travel around due to my course etc.
Reply 4
Yea, to be fair its not hard to make friends at raves though, do you not keep in the loop with people you know from raves?

Surely just getting on with people to go and do other things is still ok though?
Reply 5
Original post by AidyD
Yea, to be fair its not hard to make friends at raves though, do you not keep in the loop with people you know from raves?

Surely just getting on with people to go and do other things is still ok though?

Yeah we exchange numbers/facebook sometimes, however it's not like I can just go and be friends with them and go out. I would look like a loner. It takes time to become friends with people you can actually do things with....... and since I don't have my actual friends here it's hard.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah we exchange numbers/facebook sometimes, however it's not like I can just go and be friends with them and go out. I would look like a loner. It takes time to become friends with people you can actually do things with....... and since I don't have my actual friends here it's hard.

Then it goes back to my original point, just maybe the raving will have to die down abit - At the moment your kind of saying if you cant have friends to go raving with then you cant have any and as such are sat there feeling lonely.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending