The Student Room Group

Having minimal friends at university.

Hey, i was just wondering if anyone has been in the same situation and have any suggestions about having hardly any friends at university, seems pathetic i know.

So here's the deal i live in Manchester and currently living in private halls studying a foundation year, i feel that the private halls are dominated by less sociable people and are mainly lived in by international students ( i have nothing against any race/relgion etc, just they have thier own social circles which is more than understandable. ) The Course im on doesn't really seem to help either as it has the same problem and everyone seems to be at least 4-5 years older than me. I'm friends with one of my flatmate's, however the rest rarely come out of there room ( one of them i haven't seen an hour of in total ) and having just the one to socailse with is starting to take its toll. I came to relise all this the morning after having a few friends down from home for a night out which was a blast and i felt quite depressed that i couldn't do it regularly. I find myself quite approachable , although i am quite a shy however i know i'm getting more confident which i think is in part due to my part time job, even approaching a few girls in the club went down pretty well.

So how do you go about making new friends with similar interests this late in the year?
Reply 1
You could join some societies? Though I guess they are winding down after easter.

If you're doing a foundation year you could always live in halls next year if you are starting a degree course at year 1, and try and get into sociable halls
Reply 2
Original post by lekky
You could join some societies? Though I guess they are winding down after easter.

If you're doing a foundation year you could always live in halls next year if you are starting a degree course at year 1, and try and get into sociable halls

Hi thanks for the reply , i did join some societies and wish i stuck to them, its just that they were expensive ones (climbing and skydiving) :P and needed to save my money for rent etc as i only had my loan back then. Yeah i was thinking of applying for Halls of residence next year and going to look around a couple tomorrow - considered moving uni but i think that having barely any social life is the real problem, which is down to me.
Reply 3
i feel your pain too. I think sometimes you just have to accept that the people your surrounded by just aren't your type of people. I know what you mean your surrounded by people who are nice enough and you talk to etc but just don't click with and who you wouldn't really go on a night out with
Reply 4
Original post by 2dcc
Hi thanks for the reply , i did join some societies and wish i stuck to them, its just that they were expensive ones (climbing and skydiving) :P and needed to save my money for rent etc as i only had my loan back then. Yeah i was thinking of applying for Halls of residence next year and going to look around a couple tomorrow - considered moving uni but i think that having barely any social life is the real problem, which is down to me.

I do know what you mean, I'm a sociable person too and without people around I get quite miserable. Which Uni are you at? Being in sociable halls will make a massive difference, so if you like your Uni in terms of academics then don't let this be the reason you move. :smile:
Reply 5
Im at Manmet , the academics are quite average and there's a lack of 'university quality' to it but i guess thats down to it being a metropolitan. I still might apply to a few via Ucas so theres always an opportunity. And yeah know what you mean about it's easy enough to talk to some people but being yourself fully around them proberly wouldn't happen.
I'm in exactly the same position. In college I had a huge and diverse group of friends and found it easy to get along with people. I'm not weird and I'm sociable; I'm in the uni choir and write for their newspaper. But at uni I haven't clicked with anyone. I sound like a loser admitting it but I do not have a single friend. It makes me sad when I see all my college friends at other unis having the time of their life.

I think the style of my uni and my course makes it much more difficult to meet people. I get just a couple of hours contact time a week, the rest of the time we're expected to do independent reading. There are only 11 people on my course... 6 of them just don't talk at all. Two are internationals. and the other three are the arrogant "I'm so competitive" and "I think I'm better then anyone else" type.

and we live in rooms dotted all over the place rather than flats... so its not like I have flatmates to chat to or anything.

Looking back I can really see that I didn't think these kind of practical things through when choosing a uni. Applying for 2010 entry was kind of a last minute decision (I had planned a gap year for a long time) so now things havent worked out I really regret rushing into it all and wasting myself a lot of money.

I knew that my unhappiness lay in the nature of my university more than anything and so I decided to reapply. I'm planning to start at a different uni in September that I feel I'm way more suited to :smile:

For you I would say join lots of societies. Talk to people on your course. chat to them in lectures. I'm sure you have way more lectures and people on your course than me!
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
I'm in exactly the same position. In college I had a huge and diverse group of friends and found it easy to get along with people. I'm not weird and I'm sociable; I'm in the uni choir and write for their newspaper. But at uni I haven't clicked with anyone. I sound like a loser admitting it but I do not have a single friend. It makes me sad when I see all my college friends at other unis having the time of their life.

I think the style of my uni and my course makes it much more difficult to meet people. I get just a couple of hours contact time a week, the rest of the time we're expected to do independent reading. There are only 11 people on my course... 6 of them just don't talk at all. Two are internationals. and the other three are the arrogant "I'm so competitive" and "I think I'm better then anyone else" type.

and we live in rooms dotted all over the place rather than flats... so its not like I have flatmates to chat to or anything.

Looking back I can really see that I didn't think these kind of practical things through when choosing a uni. Applying for 2010 entry was kind of a last minute decision (I had planned a gap year for a long time) so now things havent worked out I really regret rushing into it all and wasting myself a lot of money.

I knew that my unhappiness lay in the nature of my university more than anything and so I decided to reapply. I'm planning to start at a different uni in September that I feel I'm way more suited to :smile:

For you I would say join lots of societies. Talk to people on your course. chat to them in lectures. I'm sure you have way more lectures and people on your course than me!

Thats sounds horrible, yeah i have 4 hours of contact time but thats ended now and even then i had learnt everything in sixth form so the lectures got boring and i tended to skip some. Hope things work out for you , you feel happier applying elsewhere btw?
Im in exactly the same situation doin the exact same course in man met which is a bit odd. My flat mates r sooo boring and i havent really clicked with anybody on the course. The odd times that i have been out my flat mates complained about making "too much noise" coming home. Its quite depressin seeing people back home enjoying uni life rather than being without what you could call proper friends. I do have the odd person to speak to but nobody that i would call friends if that makes sense.
Ive applied to move back home next year n been accepted so just looking forward to that really :biggrin:
Original post by 2dcc
Thats sounds horrible, yeah i have 4 hours of contact time but thats ended now and even then i had learnt everything in sixth form so the lectures got boring and i tended to skip some. Hope things work out for you , you feel happier applying elsewhere btw?

I felt happier knowing there was somewhere else I could go and I wasn't stuck in a uni I hated.

I've got a place at a uni a lot closer to home for September. I'm moving into halls but I want the comfort of living in my own city the second time round.

The entrance requirements for my new course are AAB and I have A*A*AA. So a lot of people are telling me I'm stupid and I have the grades to go somewhere better...
Reply 10
Original post by rucking fetard
Im in exactly the same situation doin the exact same course in man met which is a bit odd. My flat mates r sooo boring and i havent really clicked with anybody on the course. The odd times that i have been out my flat mates complained about making "too much noise" coming home. Its quite depressin seeing people back home enjoying uni life rather than being without what you could call proper friends. I do have the odd person to speak to but nobody that i would call friends if that makes sense.
Ive applied to move back home next year n been accepted so just looking forward to that really :biggrin:

Sounds like the same situation, had the same complaints too - although i haven't been 'excessive' with noise. Ah well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending