The Student Room Group

Rude comments

One of the girls in my class keeps making comments about my accent and keeps laughing the way I say words and saying stuff about my family/background. I confronted her about it and she just stormed off, and now she keeps trying to treat me like her friend as if she hasn't been laughing at me and been rude to my face. Should I try bringing up again or just ignore it?
I got made fun of for my accent at school as it didn’t match the local areas accent. My best advice is to ignore it, once I ignored it, it stopped bothering me as much, and it hasn’t really happened since I left secondary school :smile:

If it gets worse consider confiding in a friend for support?
Reply 2
Original post by Autumn223
I got made fun of for my accent at school as it didn’t match the local areas accent. My best advice is to ignore it, once I ignored it, it stopped bothering me as much, and it hasn’t really happened since I left secondary school :smile:
If it gets worse consider confiding in a friend for support?

Ok, thank you :smile:
Reply 3
Just own it - and ignore it. If you 'bite' you have exposed yourself as having hang ups and insecurities about it and others (probably not your friend who teased you) will have a field day with that.

If you can be comfortable with your differences you will get a lot more out of life and people. If you are prickly and defend yourself people will not warm to you.

Use your accent as a unique identifier for all the right reasons. Because you are different to the herd you get noticed. That is human nature.
Original post by Anonymous #1
One of the girls in my class keeps making comments about my accent and keeps laughing the way I say words and saying stuff about my family/background. I confronted her about it and she just stormed off, and now she keeps trying to treat me like her friend as if she hasn't been laughing at me and been rude to my face. Should I try bringing up again or just ignore it?
It's good you confronted her, just be polite with her if she's acting like your friend but you don't need to hangout with her, just stay away from her and whenever you interact, keep it minimal and polite, that's the only way to avoid drama and maintain a peaceful school life
Though, if she starts again, tell her that you'll deal with her after she's done deciding which personality of hers she wants to adapt. Clearly she can't stick to one

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending