The Student Room Group

AS students: how far are you in your revision?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
5 Subjects and 11 exams. Will start officially revising tommorow and plan to have everything done by the end of easter. Possible? Maybe. Likely? No. But as they say "Shoot for the Moon. Even If You Miss, You'll Land among the Stars."

and for any smart asses I do know the moon is much closer to the earth than our nearest star
Reply 21
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
Five subjects, 11 exams -__-

that sucks :frown: I consider myself luckyto have only 6 written exams (including a retake!) I know plenty more people who are taking less subjects but have more exams. that said, if you count my art exams, coursework, non-tabled exams etc....I have 15 :tongue:
Reply 22
Original post by Alison1992
Oh, i was convinced this was an A2 thread :frown: oh well, I got AAAA at AS (100% 100% 95% and 92% in final exams) so feel free to ask me anything about A level revision

Any chance you got 100% in English Literature B AQA? I'm quite confident in my other subjects, however with English Literature I'm slightly worried. I don't want to be another person who gets full marks in the coursework and then do poorly on the exam!

I'm currently just listing aspects of narrative: narrator, titles, endings, openings, setting and place, voices, imagery, points of view, relationships, crises, time and characters. I'm thinking of doing essay plans for each of them regarding section B.

Anything there I've missed, and any top tips?
Reply 23
7 exams but General Studies hardly counts. So far I've:

- Made most of my geography notes
- Made most of my history notes
- Typed up about 3/4 of my biology notes
- Revised somewhat for my mocks in geography & history which do count...or at least I'm telling mysef that.

And I made my revision timetable for Easter...it's honestly scary to look at.
Original post by Groat
Any chance you got 100% in English Literature B AQA? I'm quite confident in my other subjects, however with English Literature I'm slightly worried. I don't want to be another person who gets full marks in the coursework and then do poorly on the exam!

I'm currently just listing aspects of narrative: narrator, titles, endings, openings, setting and place, voices, imagery, points of view, relationships, crises, time and characters. I'm thinking of doing essay plans for each of them regarding section B.

I did that spec, that was my 92% but i still like to think that's pretty good and i'm on track for an A* at A2
The first question is divided into a and b
-part a will be how does author tell the story in chapter X?
I did the great gatsby which was good, there is only 9 chapters but if you have a big book there will be more important chapters than others...so you can plan an essay for each one in which you need to cover
-At least 2, preferably 3 aspects of narrative
-Form and structure (which most people forget)
-Context of reception and production

For part b it will be on a theme in the text so you can plan an essay based on how the aspects of narrative shape the theme

The second question is about aspects of narrative in general, this was easier, you only have 6
-Characterisation
-Setting
-Point of View
-Voices in text
-Destination
-Time and Sequence
Your question for this bit will pretty much contain one of those words or something similar, you therefore can plan an essay comparing the use for each aspect of narrative making sure it hits the AO's and learn it by heart

If you revise properly you should do well, you can predict 2/3 of the paper!
Reply 25
I did that spec, that was my 92% but i still like to think that's pretty good and i'm on track for an A* at A2
I did the great gatsby which was good, there is only 9 chapters but if you have a big book there will be more important chapters than others...so you can plan an essay for each one in which you need to cover

For part b it will be on a theme in the text so you can plan an essay based on how the aspects of narrative shape the theme

The second question is about aspects of narrative in general, this was easier, you only have 6
-Characterisation
-Setting
-Point of View
-Voices in text
-Destination
-Time and Sequence
Your question for this bit will pretty much contain one of those words or something similar, you therefore can plan an essay comparing the use for each aspect of narrative making sure it hits the AO's and learn it by heart

Of course, 92% is excellent! I'm also doing The Great Gatsby; I'm not too worried about Section A (a), but Section B (b) I haven't had much practice on. I assume that's when you discuss critical interpretations and refer to contextual factors?

Thanks for the advice!
-2 MONTHS. well i am starting tomoz, hopin to pull off the greatest cram of all time :L
Original post by Chaofan88
that sucks :frown: I consider myself luckyto have only 6 written exams (including a retake!) I know plenty more people who are taking less subjects but have more exams. that said, if you count my art exams, coursework, non-tabled exams etc....I have 15 :tongue:

I'd agree with your luck there. :tongue: Ah well, I suppose it'll be worth it if I get the good grades. :biggrin:
Original post by Groat
Of course, 92% is excellent! I'm also doing The Great Gatsby; I'm not too worried about Section A (a), but Section B (b) I haven't had much practice on. I assume that's when you discuss critical interpretations and refer to contextual factors?

Thanks for the advice!

My question last year was "Illusory as it is, Gatsby's dream gives meaning and value to human experience."
How do you respond to this view?

It sounded a bit daunting but it will always be on some kind of theme which will be context based, Gatsby's dream is symbolic of the American Dream so what my question was really asking was 'to what extent is american dream meaningless/meaningful?' and i talked about the green light (setting) and about journeys and how they are represented through cars (destination) and how the story unfolds i suppose (time and sequence).

Work out the sorts of things you can say for each theme and try and make links between them, don't forget to spend a few minutes jotting down what you are going to say and ordering your time, you have half an hour for 20 marks so you can afford to spend 5 minutes planning
9 eaxams... about 50% left..
"Cramming"? Guys, we have like a month and a half/ a month and three weeks. Relaxxxxxx, enjoy the sun. :o:
Reply 31

-Characterisation
-Setting
-Point of View
-Voices in text
-Destination
-Time and Sequence

im doing gatsby too, thats a big help! thanks! only thing im slightly worried about is the fact its closed text, but i have full marks in c/work so i have a slight margin for error i guess! did you do owen poetry by any chance for your other part?
Reply 32
i have 9 exams, five maths exams including c3 and 4 (thats the way my maths course works) 2 chemistry economics and english!
havent started work yet, but going to do lots this easter i think, all mine apart from c3/4 are in first 2 weeks, then a 3 week break so ima concentrate on them then!

mainly worried about maths, i really want an A* :frown:
7 exams. started revising informally (i.e whenever i wanted to and whatever subject) about 2 or 3 weeks ago. Will revise 6 out of the week until the exams now.
Reply 34
Original post by Groat

I hate you :L
I got 27/30 on one, not sure about the other
But I am dreading the exam
Doing enduring love, great gatsby, auden and tennyson. Prepared to fail. :yep:
Reply 35
I'm at the 'denial' stage. I'll start tomorrow...
Original post by timkench
im doing gatsby too, thats a big help! thanks! only thing im slightly worried about is the fact its closed text, but i have full marks in c/work so i have a slight margin for error i guess! did you do owen poetry by any chance for your other part?

Correct me if i'm wrong but i'm pretty sure AS is open book and A2 is closed book? not that it makes much of a difference, you should aim to do it closed book because otherwise you waste time searching for quotes. I did poetry yes, Hardy and Rossetti, best bet is to pick the ones you think you have most to say about/like more/understand more whatever and then just learn them...the exam really isn't that bad, i got a good A in it and it was my 3rd exam that day (i'd had sociology and biology in the morning), my only problem was hand cramp.
Original post by Acerbic
I'm at the 'denial' stage.

Me tooo :frown:

Im super scared of failing (again - ive retaken the year) and ive written most of my notes up, moved out of my house for three weeks, and even have a revision timetable!

Stressing out though, the first of my 8 exams starts in less than 6 weeks... :afraid:
Reply 38
Correct me if i'm wrong but i'm pretty sure AS is open book and A2 is closed book? not that it makes much of a difference, you should aim to do it closed book because otherwise you waste time searching for quotes. I did poetry yes, Hardy and Rossetti, best bet is to pick the ones you think you have most to say about/like more/understand more whatever and then just learn them...the exam really isn't that bad, i got a good A in it and it was my 3rd exam that day (i'd had sociology and biology in the morning), my only problem was hand cramp.

I might be on a different exam board, and both happen to have gatsby in their spec aha? Because our as and a2 is both closed text, unfortunately. It probably does help in a way actually, as it fixed you to learn it off by heart, but still, critical analysis plus 15 Wilfred owen poems and gatsby quotes to memorise isnt going to be fun
Reply 39
Oh, i was convinced this was an A2 thread :frown: oh well, I got AAAA at AS (100% 100% 95% and 92% in final exams) so feel free to ask me anything about A level revision

Did you start all your revision in the Easter holidays?
cause I'm gonna do that and learn S1 maths again since my teacher is absolutely crap... can I still get 95%+ by just using easter holidays?

Quick Reply

Latest