The Student Room Group

I generally prefer my own company. What is wrong with that?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a very attractive girl.

Honestly
I would agree with you that is normal. But having read that, your attitude towards yourself (and by proxy, others) is apparent and your reasoning just makes you look like a bit of an asshat.
(edited 13 years ago)
Nothing wrong with it, but I suppose hanging around with 'em a bit could be a nice change. I suppose the benefit of such an attitude is you're not around to hear them complain.
I love my own company. Am perfectly content to be alone the majority of the time. I have just moved into a flat on my own and despite my friends' assertions that they could never live alone because they'd be so bored/lonely I'm happier than I've ever been =)

Is not that I'm anti-social, but I like things a particular way. If I watch a film I want to watch it, not have people walking in and chatting and distracting me. If its a sunny day I want to lie in the park and read a book, without people annoying me. This way I get to do what I want, when I want and how I want, with my own stuff. And its wonderfully freeing.

I'm surprised by the amount of people on this thread who think wanting to be alone is strange in some way, honestly =)

OP the guy sounds like a ****. Could well be that he's spreading these rumours. Just deny them if anyone asks you directly and then he will look like a complete idiot for trying to claim something that obviously isn't true.
Nothing wrong with prefering your own company at all. I have a balance that I like, and now I'm in my mid 20s, I couldn't care less about what people think of my lifestyle.

I go out, have dinner with friends, cinema, clubbing, have dinner at people's houses et cetera, but by no stretch every day, not even most days. I often find I'm by myself out of work hours for days on end.. I don't mind, I read, watch moves, pamper myself, go to the gym. I don't have much in common with my housemates, if you saw my post in "housemates from hell", you'll know why - so it's very general chit chat with them when we do see one another (which is less often now they're all in relationships).

My best friend moved to another city and got pregnant, naturally her priorities have changed and I don't see much of her at all now. I'm OK with that.

Being a loner isn't anything to be ashamed of, it's just a preference.
I'm the same. When I get a job, if I can't escape from people to have lunch by myself I think I will go mad within a few weeks.
Reply 45
nothing is wrong with that
Reply 46
Okay, so I recently started a new job in London.

I was talking to my friend yesterday and she was saying who do you go to lunch with and I told her that I go to the company restaurant and have lunch on my own. She started feeling sorry for me saying it will get better and that things will become more social. I didn't understand why she was feeling sorry for me because I generally prefer to eat in peace and quiet. I also like to check my messages in peace. In general prefer to be by myself 80% of the time. That's not to say I don't go out or anything, I just find being around people frustrating at times.

Anyway, I was annoyed today because I know a guy who already works in the company and he's always asking to meet me for lunch. I always reluctantly go. Today he told me that there are rumours going around that we are dating. That pissed me off because 1. he has a gf who he lives with and 2. I prefer to be known as single particularly as I'm still young and sifting guys. I asked him if he's set the record straight with people and it turns out he hasn't. He seems to be loving it and has said nothing to dispel the rumours. My friend suggested that he must be trying to boost his profile at work, particularly as I'm a very attractive girl.

Could he have told people that we are an item>

I don't get why he can't go to the restaurant and eat on his own.

No you're not. You're
I regret to inform you entrances for the most pointless topic are no longer being accepted, we encourage all late applicants to submit their topics at the next oppurtunity.

I was talking to my friend yesterday and she was saying who do you go to lunch with and I told her that I go to the company restaurant and have lunch on my own. She started feeling sorry for me saying it will get better and that things will become more social. I didn't understand why she was feeling sorry for me because I generally prefer to eat in peace and quiet. I also like to check my messages in peace. In general prefer to be by myself 80% of the time. That's not to say I don't go out or anything, I just find being around people frustrating at times.

Anyway, I was annoyed today because I know a guy who already works in the company and he's always asking to meet me for lunch. I always reluctantly go. Today he told me that there are rumours going around that we are dating. That pissed me off because 1. he has a gf who he lives with and 2. I prefer to be known as single particularly as I'm still young and sifting guys. I asked him if he's set the record straight with people and it turns out he hasn't. He seems to be loving it and has said nothing to dispel the rumours. My friend suggested that he must be trying to boost his profile at work, particularly as I'm a very attractive girl.

because, and i say this with great sadness ,that most people are somewhere between bonkers and totally dysfunctional. They can't just be happy in their own company,they are playing out their own psychodramas ,usually at some innocent person's expense. I would say that people who can be content in their own company are emotionally mature, despite the medias attempts to link all sorts of crime with 'loners'.
Reply 49

haha, you sound modest- Im a very attractive girl, lol. Arrogant much?
Reply 50
Original post by Schroedinger's Pandora
Nothing wrong with prefering your own company at all. I have a balance that I like, and now I'm in my mid 20s, I couldn't care less about what people think of my lifestyle.

I go out, have dinner with friends, cinema, clubbing, have dinner at people's houses et cetera, but by no stretch every day, not even most days. I often find I'm by myself out of work hours for days on end.. I don't mind, I read, watch moves, pamper myself, go to the gym. I don't have much in common with my housemates, if you saw my post in "housemates from hell", you'll know why - so it's very general chit chat with them when we do see one another (which is less often now they're all in relationships).

My best friend moved to another city and got pregnant, naturally her priorities have changed and I don't see much of her at all now. I'm OK with that.

Being a loner isn't anything to be ashamed of, it's just a preference.

I'm the same. I live alone though, much better. The entire idea of arguing with someone over who took the last yogurt makes me ill.
Original post by CB91
You aren't understanding where the OP is coming from. She doesn't need or want people around her. And not everyone wants kids.

I do understand that, that's what I was I trying to make a point on. I was trying to say that it doesn't hurt to have people around you once in a while. I used to be exactly like she was and I honestly regret it, I missed out on so many oppurtunies that could have made some good memories. I don't want her feeling the same way I do in future. The kids point is just an example, kids or not, she will probably feel some form of regrets one way or another.
Reply 52
Original post by FutureMedicalDoctor
I do understand that, that's what I was I trying to make a point on. I was trying to say that it doesn't hurt to have people around you once in a while. I used to be exactly like she was and I honestly regret it, I missed out on so many oppurtunies that could have made some good memories. I don't want her feeling the same way I do in future. The kids point is just an example, kids or not, she will probably feel some form of regrets one way or another.

I'm already in my mid 20's, my life has always been very social and active. I'm looking for a calmer life and I get a lot of my energy from within me. I find being around people draining. I don't see myself regretting anything.

I also didn't say I want to totally write off people from my life. What I said is that I prefer to be alone approximately 80% of my time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending