The Student Room Group

TOK - Flying Spaghetti Monster

Hey there, my TOK presentation is Wednesday. I was wondering if this was a good idea, I saw some of the ones you guys talked about and I was starting to rethink if mine was sort of lame.

Okay, well I chose "There is no such thing as a false belief" from the topics list because I remembered reading about this professor who had created a fake religion, FSM- Flying Spaghetti Monsterism. It was meant to be a protest to the Kansas board of education who figured Intelligent Design (some form of God created the univserse instead of evolution) should be presented as a science in schools so that "both sides of the spectrum are shown". Thus is if a religious, completely unscientific theory can be taught in schools as science, his theory should be included because there is no difference between what he created and the other religions.

But of course, that's not how it sounds to us, we think "Spaghetti Monster, what the crap?!" That's the point of our presentation, that it's our biased perception that makes us think FSM is crazy, but it's logic is technically parallel to the other religions we accept/respect.

I wanted to put that into perspective and have a reanactment on video of Galileo or the Scopes Trial, and then show a present day court case or some form of debate between an avid believer of FSM and a traditional religion like Christianity, or perhaps a person who studies religion. With an entertaining but still intelligent arguement, we'd show that the evidence and arguements made are just as logical (or illogical) and there is no empircal evidence to prove either case wrong, so thus FSM isn't "ridiculous" or crazy, and if ID can be taught so can FSM.

Yes, no, maybe so? My teacher said to get creative with it and not lecture the class, but at the same time after seeing some of the ones on the forum, maybe mines not TOK enough? There's some brief info on FSM on wikipedia if you'd like to check it out, its kind of interesting. thanks =)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monsterism
Reply 1
Shoutout to my pastafarian bros.
Reply 2
it sounds really interesting- i'm not sure if it's really 'TOK' though- I have no idea what really constitutes 'TOKish'. Why not just run it by your teacher?

Latest

Trending

Trending