The Student Room Group

Just a little advice

hi everyone, needed some advice, ive almost finished my 1st yr doing chemistry but it really isnt something i can see myself going through for another 4 years, i want to apply for economics or econ and finance as the course looks a lot more interesting and career wise it is more related to what i want to do, this is for the 2012 entrance, how should i go about doing this?
Im planning to retake some modules in maths and chemistry as i got BBB at a2's and for a decent place id need as least ABB

Appreciate any help
Reply 1
You have to realise this is risky. Presumably you'd drop out at the end of this year in order to have a gap year and retake your A Levels (if you continue this will cause problems with student finance). So once you've dropped out of the course you need to get a job to support yourself for the year - or have very understanding parents - sort out how you're doing the resits, and then reapply through UCAS. Reapplying is easy as you'll just be going through the UCAS process again, but you'll need a new personal statement and reference.

But there's a risk you might not get any offers, or that you might mess up your resits and then fail to meet the offers. You'll also be liable for the new, higher fees
Reply 2
Thanks Juno, i think the job part wont be the biggest issue im thinking about at the moment! yes the new fees is also an issue, sadly. Ofcourse no offers is my biggest concern at the moment!

However when reapplying do i need to put in my year spent doing chem at manchester and the marks i got in exams? Will this put me at a disadvantage that they see ive already taken a year at uni?
Reply 3
You would need to state your year at uni, yes, although probably wouldn't be able to mention exam marks (unless in reference/personal statement). You need to check with your uni about whether you will receive a Certificate of Higher Education: this is a qualification in its own right, but it has to be awarded so you need to ask for it.

It won't be a disadvantage although you will need to say why you changed your mind (phrased positively, so why you love the new subject rather than hate the old one) and show that you are committed to the new course. It could be seen as a good thing, as you've shown you can cope with uni workload and both courses require maths skills.
Reply 4
I see if its not necessary i would not see the need to mention the marks at all. So when you say mention why you want to change, is this in the personal statement?

May i also take the opportunity to ask you what you do at the moment? Are you a past university student? You seem to know a lot about this
Reply 5
Original post by Sagar

Original post by Sagar
I see if its not necessary i would not see the need to mention the marks at all. So when you say mention why you want to change, is this in the personal statement?

May i also take the opportunity to ask you what you do at the moment? Are you a past university student? You seem to know a lot about this

Yes, in your personal statement. Write things such as "I loved maths and wanted to see how it applied to other things which led to me loving economics" rather than "I hated Chemistry so much I looked for anything as an alternative".

I work in retail management. I own a parrot. I blog about cake. I also wrote most of the uni application stuff on the wiki.
Reply 6
Nice stuff, what did you study and uni and where?

Yes that would make sense, i didnt know it could be helpful to state why you wanted to change course from another one quite different!
Reply 7
and another thing are there any threads here related to econ which could help me with the statement?
Reply 8
This thread will probably help, and once you've completed your first draft you're welcome to post it here for one of the PS Helpers to review it. Economics is a busy subject, though, so get it in early.
Reply 9
Yes very busy indeed, but the thing is how do i go about informing them of my predicted grades as i will be retaking?
Reply 10
dear all

I was taking a look at various courses here, after taking a look at different unis, it appears that leicester uni offers Financial economics instead of Economics and Finance (which is what i was looking for), are the two very different or is it just leicesters way of naming the course. In the long run will it make a different with career prospects?
Original post by Sagar

Original post by Sagar
dear all

I was taking a look at various courses here, after taking a look at different unis, it appears that leicester uni offers Financial economics instead of Economics and Finance (which is what i was looking for), are the two very different or is it just leicesters way of naming the course. In the long run will it make a different with career prospects?

You need to compare the course content of this course at Leicester with economics and finance courses elsewhere to see. Compare the modules and year by year run down given on their website. Some universities give their course a different name to other universities (such as government at LSE, which is comparable to politics elsewhere) whereas other universities will use the same degree name such as linguistics, to refer to courses which have totally different course contents.
Reply 12
could anyone provide me with a page where i could get advise on applying according to my situation?/ recommendations for applying?

thanks
Original post by Sagar

Original post by Sagar
could anyone provide me with a page where i could get advise on applying according to my situation?/ recommendations for applying?

thanks

TSR? This forum?

Look in the economics forum on TSR for specific advice on applying for economics and then you seem to be doing alright at posting in here for advice.

You literally need to sit down, look at university websites and compare them to narrow down your choices. People can't do that for you. Some economics/finance courses are very maths based whereas others are more arts based, some study certain topics, some do not, you need to work out what it is you want to study. Your situation is no different to any other applicant who has decided they want to study economics at university, the only difference is that you've spent a year at university and they haven't.
Reply 14
Ofcourse that would be for me to do, what i meant is that ofcourse there are unis, which i know ive got no chance of reaching e.g LSE, i was more referring to those which would be slighltly easier to reach for a fact that i have not taken economics at A level, but i have taken maths.

Is it a real fallback if you do not have economics, or do candidates usually make up for this in a very very well written PS?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending