The Student Room Group

Quitting part time job before year 13?

Hi, so i’ve been working part time (only under 6hrs a week) since the start of year 12, and ive enjoyed working, but I struggle a lot with stress and mental health strain, so I feel like it’s not sustainable if I continue the job throughout year 13, and would rather focus on myself and a levels. How do I go about letting my manager know (how many weeks notice, do I have to write a letter)?

Or should I continue the job for a little while into the year to see how it goes, and then decide to quit when it gets too overwhelming?

I would appreciate any advice :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, so i’ve been working part time (only under 6hrs a week) since the start of year 12, and ive enjoyed working, but I struggle a lot with stress and mental health strain, so I feel like it’s not sustainable if I continue the job throughout year 13, and would rather focus on myself and a levels. How do I go about letting my manager know (how many weeks notice, do I have to write a letter)?

Or should I continue the job for a little while into the year to see how it goes, and then decide to quit when it gets too overwhelming?

I would appreciate any advice :smile:

Hi, I would say to not quit just yet and see how it goes in year 13 as 6 hours at a job is not a lot of time and realistically you probably won't even use that time to revise. Having a job in year 13 is great as it is a way to see people outside of revising. You will also want money for summer I assume, because you don't want to be asking your parents for money all summer. It's truly up to you but personally I do not believe that 6 hours of work a week will affect you or your grades too badly and it gives you even better structure, routine and time management. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I would say to not quit just yet and see how it goes in year 13 as 6 hours at a job is not a lot of time and realistically you probably won't even use that time to revise. Having a job in year 13 is great as it is a way to see people outside of revising. You will also want money for summer I assume, because you don't want to be asking your parents for money all summer. It's truly up to you but personally I do not believe that 6 hours of work a week will affect you or your grades too badly and it gives you even better structure, routine and time management. Hope this helps :smile:

Thanks for the advice! Yes, 6 hours is very little compared to some of my friends who are working 10+ hrs, it’s just my work is quite demanding and the commute there is long too. I might see how it goes in year 13 first then!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending