The Student Room Group

Job Prospects in Bioinformatics/Computational biology sector in UK

Hello Friends
I need your advice and suggestions.
I have applied for the Masters in Bioinformatics at various british Universities and got the call from Edinburgh University ,UCL.
But before accepting the offer , i just want to know about the job prospects of bioinformatics/Computation Biology sector in UK. As i need a good job in UK after the completion of my graduate studies to put off my education loan.
My friends can you gave me some of your valuable suugestions and advice that the course (Bioinformatics) i have applied is good enough to get a good job in UK, or i need to change the course ???
Reply 1
In the short term there is lots of interest in bioinformaticians and computational biologists in the UK academic and biotech sectors. Long term prospects are less clear. Career paths for bioinformaticians in academia are somewhat insecure and there needs to be some radical change to stop the hordes of people who drift from one short term contract to another without long-term job security. The UK biotech industry is growing but is not huge at the moment.

If I was choosing a course, I would do straight computer science (at a uni with options in bioinformatics/computational biology) to avoid putting myself in a box at such an early stage.
Great advice from the above poster!

If you're not an EU national you should also consider the fact that it's getting more and more difficult for us to get jobs after we graduate...
Reply 3
Original post by alleycat393
Great advice from the above poster!

If you're not an EU national you should also consider the fact that it's getting more and more difficult for us to get jobs after we graduate...

If someone get graduate from Edinburg university or from University College of London , even then its difficult to get the job after the completion of course???
Actually m worried and afraid , i have to put off my education loan after the completion of course.
Original post by 1A*
If someone get graduate from Edinburg university or from University College of London , even then its difficult to get the job after the completion of course???
Actually m worried and afraid , i have to put off my education loan after the completion of course.

It's the passport you hold and not the university you graduate from that makes a difference. You might want to look up the new government's policies on the emplyment of non-EU nationals and the new visa rules that apply to us.
Reply 5
Original post by 1A*

For bioinformatics and computational biology, choice of university is often secondary. Experience counts a lot. A typical advert for such a role will ask for some/all of the following:

Familiarity with XXX technologies

Familiarity with Python, Perl, C, R, MATLAB, etc

Familiarity with statistical analysis using XXX packages

Familiarity of working with parallel computing and large datasets

Experience of working with biologists

As a result, people tend to prefer to recruit PhDs or postdoctoral researchers with a background in bioinformatics. There just isn't enough time during a Masters to get acquainted with all the various facets of this rapidly changing industry.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending