The Student Room Group

Postgraduate living costs

Hi,
I'll be starting postgrad as an international student in September and I just want to know how much people spend after accommodation. I'm assuming postgrads don't live like poor undergrads, but I may be wrong.

It doesn't matter where you live, I just want a general idea. (I'll be in Birmingham though.)

Thanks
Reply 1
I'm also an international student, though my husband is British and I live privately (and in London, so... a little more expensive than Birmingham maybe).

I spend each month, on average, approximately:
£125 on food
£75 on travel
£80 on miscellaneous fun (movies, going out with friends etc.)
£100-150 on bills (though, as I said, I live privately and in many places - like our old flat - some or all bills are included. It just so happens that we chose to live in a place with no bills included - this also includes council tax, which you may not have to pay depending where you live and with whom)
£50-100 on school related expenses (stationary, books etc. though this isn't every month)

That's about it. Honestly, I could cut that down a lot if I wanted to. I have friends that live on much less than I do - particularly those who are single. Many live quite comfortably on their studentships/scholarships.
Original post by Ellim
I'm also an international student, though my husband is British and I live privately (and in London, so... a little more expensive than Birmingham maybe).

I spend each month, on average, approximately:
£125 on food
£75 on travel
£80 on miscellaneous fun (movies, going out with friends etc.)
£100-150 on bills (though, as I said, I live privately and in many places - like our old flat - some or all bills are included. It just so happens that we chose to live in a place with no bills included - this also includes council tax, which you may not have to pay depending where you live and with whom)
£50-100 on school related expenses (stationary, books etc. though this isn't every month)

That's about it. Honestly, I could cut that down a lot if I wanted to. I have friends that live on much less than I do - particularly those who are single. Many live quite comfortably on their studentships/scholarships.

I'm moving to London in September to start on my postgrad course and have been trying to work out how much to allow for living expenses and how much I can afford to spend on rent. Your estimate has helped a lot...thanks!
Reply 3
89 views and only 1 helpful post? (thanks for that btw) Come on a people, a little help would be nice. :please:
Reply 4
Yeah, a little first hand experience would be nice. I going to either Coventry or London so any info would be helpful.
Original post by Mad4footie
Hi,
I'll be starting postgrad as an international student in September and I just want to know how much people spend after accommodation. I'm assuming postgrads don't live like poor undergrads, but I may be wrong.

It doesn't matter where you live, I just want a general idea. (I'll be in Birmingham though.)

Thanks

Normally university provide a document with living cost, as they tend to think you live a monk kind of life add 10% or 15% and it will be not far from reality I think.
Reply 6
Original post by LysFromParis
Normally university provide a document with living cost, as they tend to think you live a monk kind of life add 10% or 15% and it will be not far from reality I think.

Thanks LysfromParis.
It varies too much to give an easy answer...

In Nottingham ( >Birmingham <London) typical weekly:
£35 food
£15 travel
£30 social

I knew a guy whose budget was:
£15 food
£0 travel (walking or bicycle)
~£15 social

£15 for food was a real achievement

Realistically £80-100/wk to be comfortable and not worry
Also, this is useful link for judging rent costs in an area. The result should be the average for a property in the 30th percentile ie 3 properties are cheaper (and worse) and seven properties are more expensive (and better).

https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/search.aspx

Source: Housing Benefits assessment criteria for average rent.

Please note shared accommodation denotes a private bedroom, but shared living areas eg kitchen, bathroom etc.
I'd say £80 - 100 pw is about right. If you live in private accommodation and have to pay bills, food, travel and bills will be your biggest costs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending