The Student Room Group

WJEC AS Sociology

Anyone else on here doing SY1 and SY2 on WJEC this wednesday and friday?

How's everyone feeling about it? :smile:
Reply 1
I have this exam on Friday too! I am fast tracking Sociology so I have been doing AS and A Level in one year! I'll be doing education on Friday xD
Reply 2
Also does anyone know the SY2 questions that were in the January exam?
Reply 3
Did SY1 on families and doing SY2 on education tomorrow.

SY1 was a good paper I thought, hope SY2 is ok
Reply 4
Both exams have been really kind this week, feel as if I have done well :smile:
Reply 5
I thought SY2 went terribly for me this afternoon, section 1 Research Methods was okay but about equality of oppurtunity and working class underachievement, I did so badly. D:

We were sure something about roles of education would come up but it didn't :l
Reply 6
Original post by flume
Ah no, I thought it was quite nice!

For the equality of opportunity question, did you talk about the Functionalist theory?

Well our teacher told us to just write about meritocracy in it, so I mentioned functionalism etc but I just couldn't write enough, I only did 3 or 4 paragraphs. I wasn't sure either if we had to contrast it with Marxism etc. My fault probably, I should have revised more, haha!
Reply 7
I really liked the SY2 education questions, they were better than SY1 part B I thought
Reply 8
Original post by flume
I did SY1 in Jan :smile:
What did you write for the equal opp. question (2a)??

Umm basically what it was, that everyone deserves the same opportunities, how people with disadvantages are helped - talked about government schemes, support for people with learning difficulties etc.

What did you do?
Reply 9
Original post by flume
I cocked it up a bit - spoke about meritocracy + Functionalist view and how that gives people equal chances - mentioned a bit about EMA at the end but not enough to get high marks - slightly irritating I thought I answered it right!

I did about meritocracy and EMA aswell relating that to material deprivation. Didn't mention any sociologists at all :doh:
Reply 10
Original post by dan.dan
I did about meritocracy and EMA aswell relating that to material deprivation. Didn't mention any sociologists at all :doh:

I spoke about Functionalists Davis+Moore = some equality is needed ..
Parsons = equality of chance, meritocracy, role allocation
Durkheim = specialized division of labour + shared history

Then I did for the second half Marxist vies
Unequal = class has a large influence (Bowles and Gintis)
Also how teachers promote hard working and obedient behaviour, whilst they discourage independant, creative behaviour.
/Bowles and Gintis reject role allocation because some pupils under achieve which indicates they have not had the same chance etc
I hope this is all kinda right? D;

WHAT did you all do for the 40 mark?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending