The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The weirdest thing just happened. I was lying in bed and was just drifting to sleep when I suddenly came up with a topic for my Part II project next year. Done some quick research and it seems the exact idea hasn't been done before and it may be feasible. Emailed the supervisor I had in mind and just hoping he hasn't got supervisees already :o: Still not convinced the idea is totally sensible/sane though.
Original post by ukdragon37
Still not convinced the idea is totally sensible/sane though.

Can I be nosy? :smile: Not going to steal, not like it would make much difference except in competition for supervisors, I guess :p: I think I've got a fairly reasonable idea, just waiting for people to get back to me.
Original post by TheUnbeliever
Can I be nosy? :smile: Not going to steal, not like it would make much difference except in competition for supervisors, I guess :p: I think I've got a fairly reasonable idea, just waiting for people to get back to me.

I'm not divulging until a supervisor approves it as sane :o: It's not to be mean about others pinching it but more that I want to save myself the embarrassent if I had a lapse in judgment (I was tired! :o:) and the idea is just mad/unfeasible/useless/was never going to get off the ground. In any case I don't think the supervisors you are applying to include the one I just wrote to so there's no competition :wink:
Original post by ukdragon37
The weirdest thing just happened. I was lying in bed and was just drifting to sleep when I suddenly came up with a topic for my Part II project next year. Done some quick research and it seems the exact idea hasn't been done before and it may be feasible. Emailed the supervisor I had in mind and just hoping he hasn't got supervisees already :o: Still not convinced the idea is totally sensible/sane though.

Hahah, any randomers reading this thread will think this is a really Cambridgey post and that everyone here is a complete genius :p:
Original post by Craghyrax
Hahah, any randomers reading this thread will think this is a really Cambridgey post and that everyone here is a complete genius :p:

I thought we were all complete geniuses. :dontknow: :tongue:
Reply 2225
Original post by kpatb
Scotland-Devon? Respect! ahah, alright, Cambridge- Durham is a lot better.

I know your boyfriend was in Cambridge but... Do you think that I would ever be able to go to Durham during term time with the 6 day lectures?
I know someone studying Maths (so 6 days a week of lectures), who went up to Durham a few times to visit his girlfriend. Obviously it requires some skipping of lectures, but if you work on the train then I don't think it will cause any major issues. If you had a full time job you'd have two days free, along with five hours an evening on the other days. On the basis that a degree is less work than a job, you should have enough spare time for some visits.
I'm at le Grand-Place in Brussels and i think i just saw our Senior Tutor :lolwut:
Lots and lots and lots and lots of packing :grumble:
I now have a College Little Brother. :biggrin: Now to wait for news of my children... :love:
Original post by Tortious
I now have a College Little Brother. :biggrin: Now to wait for news of my children... :love:

How does that work? :confused: One of your college parents adopted a fresher? :p:
Original post by Craghyrax
How does that work? :confused: One of your college parents adopted a fresher? :p:

Erm...no, that was a bit of a misnomer. :p: My DoS has asked us to write to the fresher lawyers, so he's my mentee (i.e. "Little Brother" under the terminology of the American mentoring scheme thing I linked). However, I'm also a parent under the College parenting scheme, so I'll have some children too - of which he may or may not be one. I didn't think it right to call him my son, so I tried to find another way of referring to him. :giggle:

Mind you, I don't think I'll have much to say. I tried to draft a letter earlier and Googled him to find out more about him - he's actually in my year (so must've taken a gap year) and comes from an independent school with three of his peers already at Pembroke. They've probably told him about all of the social activities, so I haven't got much to say except about studying Law, which makes me sound thoroughly uninteresting. :colonhash:
Reply 2231

Mind you, I don't think I'll have much to say. I tried to draft a letter earlier and Googled him to find out more about him - he's actually in my year (so must've taken a gap year) and comes from an independent school with three of his peers already at Pembroke. They've probably told him about all of the social activities, so I haven't got much to say except about studying Law, which makes me sound thoroughly uninteresting. :colonhash:

Maybe the best way forward here is to act as though you have not thoroughly stalked him on the internet, and add all the social stuff anyway? :P
It's a win-win situation - he doesn't think you're a stalker and you get loads more to write! :biggrin:
Original post by kpatb
Maybe the best way forward here is to act as though you have not thoroughly stalked him on the internet, and add all the social stuff anyway? :P
It's a win-win situation - he doesn't think you're a stalker and you get loads more to write! :biggrin:

Unless he's one of the many CamChat stalkers... oh sorry, I meant lurkers...
Reply 2233
Original post by alex_hk90
Unless he's one of the many CamChat stalkers... oh sorry, I meant lurkers...

We know you're out there!
Erm...no, that was a bit of a misnomer. :p: My DoS has asked us to write to the fresher lawyers, so he's my mentee (i.e. "Little Brother" under the terminology of the American mentoring scheme thing I linked). However, I'm also a parent under the College parenting scheme, so I'll have some children too - of which he may or may not be one. I didn't think it right to call him my son, so I tried to find another way of referring to him. :giggle:

Just take the Gethsemane342 approach i.e. write a joke letter of truly awful proportions. You say almost nothing useful, write the full letter AND he's scared of you. Win-win :biggrin:
Original post by gethsemane342
Just take the Gethsemane342 approach i.e. write a joke letter of truly awful proportions. You say almost nothing useful, write the full letter AND he's scared of you. Win-win :biggrin:

I've gotta be honest, I am quite tempted! I've had enough of writing at the moment so it may well be going in its current state if I don't get around to redrafting it. I spent the whole day writing an article on solicitor advocacy for the Careers section of Per Inc (we've got nothing else to go in there, as it stands) and I reeeeally didn't enjoy doing it. How much did I write, you ask? 800 words. FML. :sigh:
I've gotta be honest, I am quite tempted! I've had enough of writing at the moment so it may well be going in its current state if I don't get around to redrafting it. I spent the whole day writing an article on solicitor advocacy for the Careers section of Per Inc (we've got nothing else to go in there, as it stands) and I reeeeally didn't enjoy doing it. How much did I write, you ask? 800 words. FML. :sigh:

I thought TWW was doing something on the LPC? There must be some friendly 2nd years (or are we third years now?) who could write something. I'd volunteer but apart from the fact I've already written that monster of an EU piece, the only thing I could contribute is how not to apply to law firms since I'm doing well on that front...
Reply 2237

:rofl:
xDD Actually yeah, I like this idea better :tongue:
I thought TWW was doing something on the LPC? There must be some friendly 2nd years (or are we third years now?) who could write something. I'd volunteer but apart from the fact I've already written that monster of an EU piece, the only thing I could contribute is how not to apply to law firms since I'm doing well on that front...

Yeah, but that's for the edition after that, I thought. :confused: I've only just realised that with the vac scheme deadline in January, this edition should've been the "bumper Careers edition", but I haven't had much success in contacting lawyers anyway, let alone in getting them to write about careers. Don't worry about it - I'll think of something. :smile: If all else fails, I'll stick in a few extra features. :wink:

Thanks again for the EU piece - the "Ode to Joy" ending really made me laugh! :lol:
Yeah, but that's for the edition after that, I thought. :confused: I've only just realised that with the vac scheme deadline in January, this edition should've been the "bumper Careers edition", but I haven't had much success in contacting lawyers anyway, let alone in getting them to write about careers. Don't worry about it - I'll think of something. :smile: If all else fails, I'll stick in a few extra features. :wink:

Thanks again for the EU piece - the "Ode to Joy" ending really made me laugh! :lol:

I'd offer to prod a few lawyers for you but I can only think of one who might agree: she hasn't done any "legal" work experience and has just arrived in France to do Erasmus so will probably be unimpressed if I bother her :tongue:

No worries :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending