The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Craghyrax
I only watched the Baskerville one and hated it. Was forced to because my Uncle and Aunt were watching it. I hate scary, suspenseful stuff.

The first one is not scary and a lot more fun. :yep:
My linguistics supervisor got me doing (Author year:tongue:ages) last year, but previously for lit I'd been doing in-text (Author pp.xx-xx) and then a long ref in the bibliography with shedloads of info. Have other people's supervisors been quite strict about referencing styles for supervision essays? Mine are fairly chilled, as long as you can tell who you're referencing. "It's just good practice and preparation for dissertations etc."
Craghyrax
Sorry if this isn't helpful, but Harvard would do the following: (May & Smart, 2004: pp. 314-315), and the page numbers would be included wherever possible. I include them for journal articles. Is the legal referencing entirely different?

No, that's great - thanks. I don't think this is legal referencing (there's a system developed by Oxford, but this doesn't resemble it). I may have worked out what it is though.

The reference I gave was in a footnote; it appears to be an "abbreviated" form of Harvard referencing, with the full reference (including the title of the publication etc.) given in the bibliography at the back of my textbook. I didn't recognise it because I just used the full reference for the footnotes in my Extended Project (the only real "research task" I've done before). I suppose that's what I get for relying on Anglia Ruskin's guide (:p:) - although it appears to have been rewritten and improved since I last looked at it! :holmes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Canned Door
My linguistics supervisor got me doing (Author year:tongue:ages) last year, but previously for lit I'd been doing in-text (Author pp.xx-xx) and then a long ref in the bibliography with shedloads of info. Have other people's supervisors been quite strict about referencing styles for supervision essays? Mine are fairly chilled, as long as you can tell who you're referencing. "It's just good practice and preparation for dissertations etc."

Yeah, that sounds like what I've just encountered. My supervisors aren't that strict, but this essay is for a competition, so I'm trying to ensure that I look like I know what I'm doing. :wink:
Tortious
x
I haven't actually had any proper training in referencing either. I just got told to use a specific style when I started my degree, and I've just stuck to that since - never learning about any alternatives. Don't know how footnote referencing works, for instance.
Original post by Canned Door

I've always done it the way your supervisor made you do it. My supervisors were strict. As in I learnt this in Michaelmas of first year.
Reply 5985
We only have 8 players for our football match today, and it's really cold. My asthma really doesn't like the cold.
The only time I had to reference fully was for my dissertation, and all that mattered was that it was readable, logical and consistent.

Original post by smilepea
We only have 8 players for our football match today, and it's really cold. My asthma really doesn't like the cold.

How many do the other team have? I remember playing a 3rd team match which was 7 against 4. :teehee: Have fun anyway! :smile:
Original post by alex_hk90
The only time I had to reference fully was for my dissertation, and all that mattered was that it was readable, logical and consistent.

!
Reading all this makes me very grumpy about the comments people make about PPS 'standards' :grumble:
Reply 5988
Original post by alex_hk90

How many do the other team have? I remember playing a 3rd team match which was 7 against 4. :teehee: Have fun anyway! :smile:

I'm guessing probably 11, but I don't know. *le sigh* Never mind.
I've always used the referencing that Word 2007 does for you :p:
Original post by ukebert

Wait, what? :lolwut:

*Googles*
I use Mendeley's Cite-o-matic which is a Word plug-in. You just choose the referencing style from a drop down list and then it does it for you, and if you find you've used the wrong one, it will change it all at the click of a button.
Tortious
x

Don't google, just open Word and move to the References tab. Start with 'add citation' and it will become obvious from there.
Original post by scarlet ibis
I use Mendeley's Cite-o-matic which is a Word plug-in. You just choose the referencing style from a drop down list and then it does it for you, and if you find you've used the wrong one, it will change it all at the click of a button.

How do you set that up?
Don't google, just open Word and move to the References tab. Start with 'add citation' and it will become obvious from there.

How do you set that up?

You download Mendeley Desktop (there's also an online one but it has limited free storage) and use it to gather all your references .It has a neat automatic filling in function to you don't need to type in the details of papers or you can type in books by hand. Then you download the reference manager Word plugin which becomes part of Word and makes it super easy to select and insert references as you write. http://www.mendeley.com/features/reference-manager/

How do you set that up?

You download Mendeley Desktop (there's also an online one but it has limited free storage) and use it to gather all your references .It has a neat automatic filling in function to you don't need to type in the details of papers or you can type in books by hand. Then you download the reference manager Word plugin which becomes part of Word and makes it super easy to select and insert references as you write. http://www.mendeley.com/features/reference-manager/

Thanks very much! :yy:
Original post by ukebert

Word? You don't use TeX?

I'm a bit confused. I already have all my references stored in Word, so the Word plugin wouldn't change anything except where the references were being stored :confused: I already have Mendeley, I've just never used it.
Reply 5997
All was fine on the football front, we had 7 they had 10 we lost 2-1. Meh.
I'm a bit confused. I already have all my references stored in Word, so the Word plugin wouldn't change anything except where the references were being stored :confused: I already have Mendeley, I've just never used it.

In which case you probably don't need it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! But it works for me, keeping my references and notes all in one place (Mendeley) and using the plug in to get them into a document.
Happy Chinese New Year everyone! The city's erupting in fireworks around us at the moment :smile:. Dragon tidings to you all!
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending