The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by It could be lupus
Yeah I knew one was sketchy. I have been trying to find out the name, but have failed so far

Just look in the TCS archive! They did a feature on that summer school in the middle of this term.
Does anyone know much about working at any of the summer schools that occur over the Summer in Cambridge? Needing ideas for jobs to do over the summer

If you happen to be a Cambassador, there's a load of 1-2 weeks summers schools to do over the holidays. That does involve an interview/assessment thingie with the Admissions Office though (I can't remember when they recruit).

If you're good with software, I can recommend a couple of places that are intern-friendly for summer jobs here and in London.
Original post by Zoedotdot
Bless you, it came out months ago here :p: I really enjoyed it as well though. I think a lot of people were put off by the plot not being so explicit, but the issue is that the book itself is very psychological, and while I think they did a good job of conveying that aspect, they didn't always do a good job of conveying the specifics of what was going on. There's a lot of inference, and if I hadn't read the book I don't think I would have enjoyed it so much. Certainly the people I was with didn't really like it, and I had to explain the entire plot to them when we came out.

That said, my younger brother and sister both went to see it and understood it perfectly, so perhaps it's just a certain type of person who it appeals to?

I have to admit, I saw Tinker Tailor on the plane last month, and didn't particularly 'get' it. The plot seemed very drawn out and characters not-too-distinctive, and I never really had an idea of what was going out. It felt like I needed to have read the book, or at least a wikipedia summary to realise what was happening. It's a shame, since I really wanted to like it.

In other news, I'm on the last book of the Night Watch quadrilogy. Sooo good - it's like crack :tongue:. Much better than what Wikipedia says the film plots were.
Original post by SunderX
If you happen to be a Cambassador, there's a load of 1-2 weeks summers schools to do over the holidays. That does involve an interview/assessment thingie with the Admissions Office though (I can't remember when they recruit).

If you're good with software, I can recommend a couple of places that are intern-friendly for summer jobs here and in London.

Sadly not a Cambassador.

As for being good with software, being from a medic background I have no coding/programming experience at all sadly. Wish I had as it would open so many doors. Otherwise I'm good with the standard Microsoft packages and normally pick other things up fairly quickly.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by SunderX
I have to admit, I saw Tinker Tailor on the plane last month, and didn't particularly 'get' it. The plot seemed very drawn out and characters not-too-distinctive, and I never really had an idea of what was going out. It felt like I needed to have read the book, or at least a wikipedia summary to realise what was happening. It's a shame, since I really wanted to like it.

When they announced the spy, it shocked me completely - I'd forgotten that character entirely and was therefore incredibly surprised to find they had any relevance to the plot whatsoever! I think this realisation just showed that the film was wasted on me :tongue:
Sadly not a Cambassador.

As for being good with software, being from a medic background I have no coding experience at all sadly. Wish I had as it would open so many doors. Otherwise I'm good with the standard Microsoft packages and normally pick other things up fairly quickly.

To be honest if its loads of money you want to clock up, that's not what University summer schools are for. For four days you get £200 which is perfectly reasonable. But people do it for the fun and because they enjoy helping applicants from disadvantaged backgrounds. They don't do it to earn lots of cash. Its private companies which pay people £1000+ plus a week, or whatever. And you can find out about those through going to the University Careers Service.
Original post by Craghyrax
To be honest if its loads of money you want to clock up, that's not what University summer schools are for. For four days you get £200 which is perfectly reasonable. But people do it for the fun and because they enjoy helping applicants from disadvantaged backgrounds. They don't do it to earn lots of cash. Its private companies which pay people £1000+ plus a week, or whatever. And you can find out about those through going to the University Careers Service.

To be honest, I think the summer schools would be fun. However something that pays well would be a bonus. I have checked the careers service. I'm assuming the sketchy company wont be on the Careers Service Website...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7307
Original post by SunderX

I think the issue is that John Le Carre just is a very psychological writer. It's pretty tricky to get that across on film! I definitely benefited from having read the book, and even I got lost at some ponts. It doesn't seem like a great plane film anyway - in a similar experience, I watched A Single Man on a flight back from Russia after spending 50 hours on a train and was so totally zonked for the whole thing that I really didn't appreciate it at all.

In other news, I'm on the last book of the Night Watch quadrilogy. Sooo good - it's like crack :tongue:. Much better than what Wikipedia says the film plots were.

I really need to read them. However, I have to watch the film for my essay this week and I am heartily amused because apparently the version I have has subtitles that drip blood. Typical Fox :lol:
To be honest, I think the summer schools would be fun. However something that pays well would be a bonus. I have checked the careers service. I'm assuming the sketchy company wont be on the Careers Service Website...

In that case give Charlotte Richer an email. Just google her name. Basically they usually have not enough positions going, but every now and then somebody drops out of a summer school commitment at the last minute and then they have to replace them in a hurry. So they might put you on a reserve of people to contact if they're desperate :dontknow:
I saw Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy in the cinema and thought it was really good.
Reply 7310

Like I said, I've already applied for 2 in Cambridge. Oxbridge Academics are interviewing me next week, so you may be a bit late for that one (but I'm not sure, they could do rolling interviews...). The official one won't be inviting to interview until ET so I reckon applications are still open :smile:
Original post by Craghyrax
In that case give Charlotte Richer an email. Just google her name. Basically they usually have not enough positions going, but every now and then somebody drops out of a summer school commitment at the last minute and then they have to replace them in a hurry. So they might put you on a reserve of people to contact if they're desperate :dontknow:

Unfortunately I think those may also require a CRB check (which I suspect are non-transferable between organisations). I'm guessing independent summer schools may also require one if you're working with kids, but they'll probably apply on your behalf. But for the longer term, if you do want to be a Cambassador go ahead and give Charlotte an email. I did it for nearly 3 years (as the only CompSci representative :tongue:) and it was oodles of fun.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by SunderX
Unfortunately I think those may also require a CRB check (which I suspect are non-transferable between organisations). I'm guessing independent summer schools may also require one if you're working with kids, but they'll probably apply on your behalf. But for the longer term, if you do want to be a Cambassador go ahead and give Charlotte an email. I did it for nearly 3 years (as the only CompSci representative :tongue:) and it was oodles of fun.

I already have a CRB check from getting into here as a medic, though that may not be applicable anymore. I've noticed the careers service still have some jobs for summer schools so I'll apply for them
Dissertation finished...and printed :smile: Just need to get it bound and then I can hand it in. So relieved!
Original post by Crazy_emz
Dissertation finished...and printed :smile: Just need to get it bound and then I can hand it in. So relieved!

Congrats! It's always good to get it out of the way so your mind's clear for exam term :smile:. Or at least, that's what I keep telling my students :tongue:.
Original post by SunderX
Congrats! It's always good to get it out of the way so your mind's clear for exam term :smile:. Or at least, that's what I keep telling my students :tongue:.

Thanks :smile: Are you supervising now then? (and you're younger than me...I'm scared!). You sound like a very responsible supervisor...I have a Phd student as one of my supervisors and so far his pearls of wisdom include "I never worked past dinner time in my final year" and "It's fine to read this book in English, I did". We also spent ages one supervision looking up books on Newton to pick the shortest ones for the next essay :wink:
Original post by Crazy_emz
Thanks :smile: Are you supervising now then? (and you're younger than me...I'm scared!). You sound like a very responsible supervisor...I have a Phd student as one of my supervisors and so far his pearls of wisdom include "I never worked past dinner time in my final year" and "It's fine to read this book in English, I did". We also spent ages one supervision looking up books on Newton to pick the shortest ones for the next essay :wink:

Aye, I'm on good terms with my old DoS so I do a couple of courses that he can't find relevant people for. It helps that I'm in the slightly more fluffy field of 'computational linguistics', which Chu has very few/no people in! It's a nice excuse to visit Cambridge every so often whilst I'm on my 'gap yah' :smile:. The dissertation advice is from my own experience, having done two of them - and the last one in an incredible rush, mostly in the month before submission :tongue:. What was your diss title?

(by the way, there's a free binding machine + materials in the Computer Laboratory Library if you can get a compsci friend to let you in :wink: )
(edited 12 years ago)
I hate my essay. I am just debating concluding it with "No one knows which law applies here. However, of the options the supervisor has given me, 66% says Q wins and only 33% says P does. Probability therefore tells me to cut my losses and go with Q"...
Original post by gethsemane342
I hate my essay. I am just debating concluding it with "No one knows which law applies here. However, of the options the supervisor has given me, 66% says Q wins and only 33% says P does. Probability therefore tells me to cut my losses and go with Q"...

What course? Conflicts?
Original post by jjarvis
What course? Conflicts?

Yes. Every single thing I read has a different take on what law governs priorities. How can 7 people have COMPLETELY DIFFERENT VIEWS? :stomp:

I may add, for bonus marks, that sod's law dictates that the answer is contrary to probability therefore P wins...

Latest

Trending

Trending