The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
My gmail was really long and no-one could spell it so when I got a cam.ac.uk I thought it was super and just used it for everything, and I got into the habit of giving it as my default. I will set up a sensible gmail sometime...
I guess I'm lucky that my name and surname weren't taken.
I can't believe Newcastle forfeited all those giveaways on the Frankfurt School :facepalm:
Original post by Gesar
You don't get cantab addresses until June. I sent several prospective CVs out in April time that I'm never going to here back from now. (Not that I expect or want to, but someone else in my shoes might).

You can sign up for Cantab addresses earlier than that, though when I tried they declined my application because I said I was continuing to Part III...

Original post by Supergrunch
The problem with .ac.uk addresses is that they're often used as proof that you're a current student (e.g. in the Microsoft student offers), so it may be that Cambridge legally have to take them away when you leave. It is a pity though, but it's quite nice that they give the cantab addresses as a substitute.

Very true. I always thought it was just because the whole system was tied into Raven and so on and they needed to disable accounts across the university due to a JANET rule. (Notice, for example, that SRCF also cancels the accounts of leavers.)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1584
Original post by n1r4v
Has anyone else's hermes stopped working / saying incorrect username or password?

Nope. Did you recently graduate?
Original post by n1r4v
Yes. Though on the previous page it mentioned it expires in August.

Same here. :frown: To be fair that page was ambiguous regarding to whom it applied.

And my Raven doesn't work either - I'm no longer a Cambridge student. :sad: :cry2:
Reply 1586
Original post by alex_hk90
Same here. :frown: To be fair that page was ambiguous regarding to whom it applied.

And my Raven doesn't work either - I'm no longer a Cambridge student. :sad: :cry2:

We can keep pretending you are if you like? :p:

I really don't want to lose my CRSID, it's sort of catchy and nice looking. Luckily I'm not signed up to anything with it, but I still don't want to lose it :frown: I've also realised that I don't have any email address details for the friends that have just left Cambridge now, seeing as we only ever emailed on hermes. Do you get to pick your cantab address, or is it just assigned to you?
Original post by alex_hk90

When does your CamCard expire? Mine says 2015 - surely that counts for something? :p:
Reply 1588
Original post by Gesar
Never fear, I didn't get the job! I hope you don't have one yet either :p: This time the rejection email said I'd been very almost successful, and they'd email me in a few months if they thought they were able to offer me a job. Translation: They thought I was thick, but smarter than their usual rejects, and if they have loads of vacancies next year they'll offer one to me to save on recruitment costs. Score! :facepalm:

At least I'm getting quite a variety of seemingly unique rejection letters.

Nah, of course not!
Eventually I'll fool someone into giving me one though:p:
Can anyone tell me when/how to figure out when graduation is next year?
Original post by TheUnbeliever
Can anyone tell me when/how to figure out when graduation is next year?

It differs by college. The degree ceremony is called the General Admission and it will happen on 29th June next year for Queens' (according to here)
Original post by ukdragon37
It differs by college. The degree ceremony is called the General Admission and it will happen on 29th June next year for Queens' (according to here)

Thanks, I saw that page (and the Reporter, which didn't give the college details) but was slightly leery since I wasn't sure if "General Admission, LLM, MMATH, VETMB only" meant admission for those degrees only, or admission for all undergrad degrees and only those postgrad ones.
Anyone have any ideas on how I could make money this summer? :tongue: Job hunting has not been successful as I am not here for that long and I have now resorted to signing up to a few survey sites in the hope of making some form of money... :frown:
Original post by It could be lupus
Anyone have any ideas on how I could make money this summer? :tongue:

Sell things.
Original post by TheUnbeliever
Thanks, I saw that page (and the Reporter, which didn't give the college details) but was slightly leery since I wasn't sure if "General Admission, LLM, MMATH, VETMB only" meant admission for those degrees only, or admission for all undergrad degrees and only those postgrad ones.

Hmm but it has to be that day though, since those are the only dates which Queens' will attend and the degree ceremony for BA always happens at the end of June/start of July.
Original post by Zoedotdot
Do you get to pick your cantab address, or is it just assigned to you?

You can choose your own - so you can have your [email protected] if you so wish :tongue:.

Although so far, it seems that cantab.net is awful. I have sent myself a couple of test emails from my Gmail, and not one of them has come through. And the emails that do come through don't seem to show up on my Blackberry, which is the only way I check emails nowadays!

Thank goodness I use my Gmail for pretty much everything. @cantab.net is just for prestige I think :tongue:

Edit: And it's incredibly slow. :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Tortious
When does your CamCard expire? Mine says 2015 - surely that counts for something? :p:

I thought I'd read that we have to hand them in before graduation though... I don't know whether that's enforced or not though, if it's even true. I'd love to keep mine, just to have it as a keepsake more than anything!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Canned Door
I thought I'd read that we have to hand them in before graduation though... I don't know whether that's enforced or not though, if it's even true. I'd love to keep mine, just to have it as a keepsake more than anything!

We were supposed to give them in when we handed in our keys, but I didn't and no one commented. :cool:
:ditto:
Original post by Zoedotdot
We can keep pretending you are if you like? :p:

Please do. :puppyeyes:

Original post by n1r4v
Isn't it quite abrupt at how quickly you're thrown out of the bubble and into the real world

Yes, it was rather at the end. :sadnod:

But I'm avoiding the 'real world' by being in Hong Kong - it's over 30 degrees C outside, proper summer weather. :biggrin:

Original post by Tortious

My UniCard expired in 2013, but I had to hand it in when I swiped out for the final time. :frown:

Original post by brimstone
You can choose your own - so you can have your [email protected] if you so wish :tongue:.

Although so far, it seems that cantab.net is awful. I have sent myself a couple of test emails from my Gmail, and not one of them has come through. And the emails that do come through don't seem to show up on my Blackberry, which is the only way I check emails nowadays!

Thank goodness I use my Gmail for pretty much everything. @cantab.net is just for prestige I think :tongue:

Edit: And it's incredibly slow. :frown:

You can have multiple Cantab 'aliases' - so I have my main one and others including my CRSid. :smile:

Also, it's not slow for me and I have it forwarding to GMail. :dontknow:

Latest

Trending

Trending