The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Leipzig
PRSOM :frown: Also, what?! I feel unduly done by... I had to get my (finalist) ex to borrow books on my behalf in 2nd year.

So do I :dry:
Original post by Craghyrax

You could tell :tongue: to be honest it only really affects arts students. I've never really known science students to go and get books from the UL
Reply 1782

Having just finished second year I've supposedly been a beneficiary of this - but, really, it's just been a massive pain! Nothing I want has been in there! I didn't have much of a problem with having to stay in the UL to use a book, it was a small price to pay for knowing it would be there! I don't know anyone who's happy about it.
Original post by It could be lupus
You could tell :tongue: to be honest it only really affects arts students. I've never really known science students to go and get books from the UL

My faculty library is a branch of the UL, so we didn't get borrowing privileges until Part II... until last year, anyway.
Reply 1784
Original post by Melz0r
Having just finished second year I've supposedly been a beneficiary of this - but, really, it's just been a massive pain! Nothing I want has been in there! I didn't have much of a problem with having to stay in the UL to use a book, it was a small price to pay for knowing it would be there! I don't know anyone who's happy about it.

Yeah - I was going to answer, 'technically me, as I can borrow books over vacation' but then I remembered that I would have been eligible under the old system anyway. Now I'm just going to have to fight over-keen 2nd years for my course materials... *le sigh*

I wouldn't let that bother you. A lot of people have inverse snobbery and look down on Cambridge students...
Reply 1787
Original post by Leipzig
Yeah - I was going to answer, 'technically me, as I can borrow books over vacation' but then I remembered that I would have been eligible under the old system anyway. Now I'm just going to have to fight over-keen 2nd years for my course materials... *le sigh*

I'd like to say that I did an absolutely epic amount of photocopying the other day in the UL to avoid having to borrow anything! Admittedly this was mainly self-interested concern about not wanting to carry hundreds of books home on the bus and then have to return them, but still :wink:
Reply 1788
Original post by Zhen Lin
My faculty library is a branch of the UL, so we didn't get borrowing privileges until Part II... until last year, anyway.

Most of my mathmo friends have never been in the COLLEGE library...
Reply 1789
Original post by Melz0r

One of my Engineer friends saw the picture of the inside of Emma library in the prospectus in second year and asked me where in college that was :facepalm:

On the other hand, my (mathmo) boyfriend lives in the library in exam term.
Reply 1790
I use the college library pretty often: I like having books for courses so that you can get a different perspective on some of the hard topics (and also some of the answers to the examples sheets are in the course books as examples :ninja:). I've never worked in the library though, the sight of so many people being...studious is a little disquietening.

Also I am the most distracting person to be around when I work: I tap the table, click my pen, swear to myself under my breath...
Original post by Melz0r

That might explain why I usually have no trouble getting the books I want. :wink: Not that they do much help. There's really nothing like having someone sit down and actually talk through problems. And for some reason I find lectures more effective than reading.
I wouldn't let that bother you. A lot of people have inverse snobbery and look down on Cambridge students...

You can substitute "have inverse snobbery and look down on" with "are jealous of" in the vast majority of cases. :yes:
Original post by alex_hk90
You can substitute "have inverse snobbery and look down on" with "are jealous of" in the vast majority of cases. :yes:

Yeah I'm aware of that :tongue: just didn't want to appear much of a snob by saying that :tongue:
Yeah I'm aware of that :tongue: just didn't want to appear much of a snob by saying that :tongue:

I'm not bothered by that. :tongue: I like to go for brutal honesty. :yep:
Original post by alex_hk90
I'm not bothered by that. :tongue: I like to go for brutal honesty. :yep:

I would agree but for the fact that people sometimes perceive me as being very arrogant/stuck up for saying brutal honest like that (not at Cambridge, at home)
I don't agree. I think that lots of people aren't jealous of Cambridge students. And lots of Cambridge students are arrogant rahs *shrug* Unfortunately a conspicuous minority doesn't do the unobjectionable majority any favours.
I gave myself an electric shock today :o: Off've a circuit that I built. Oops. Not really my fault, it was the bit that I didn't build that broke, but it wasn't massively pleasant.
I don't agree. I think that lots of people aren't jealous of Cambridge students. And lots of Cambridge students are arrogant rahs *shrug* Unfortunately a conspicuous minority doesn't do the unobjectionable majority any favours.

What I have said is not incompatible with what you have said in this post. I know lots of people aren't, but I'm claiming that the majority who exhibit this so-called "inverse snobbery" secretly are (perhaps even unknowingly to themselves as they've managed to convince themselves otherwise). Similarly lots of Cambridge students may be arrogant rahs, but again I would claim that this is a minority.
Original post by Athena
While I don't agree with some of the sentiments, here is a more eloquently phrased, better version of some of the thing's Jacob was trying to say: https://universityforstrategicoptimism.wordpress.com/2011/08/10/riotcleanup-or-riotwhitewash/

Good article.

Latest

Trending

Trending