The Student Room Group

how a-level maths is taught at your school

hi,

I was just wondering how a-level maths is taught at your school, because maths is the kind of subject which can't really be effectively taught as you have to many exercises for your self to grasp it. Its more of knowing how to do it, rather than having to remember things (like biology).

What my teacher does is go through the examples in the ocr supplement textbook, then gets us to do the exercises. I can't really think of any other way teachers of other schools can teach it, that's why I'm just a bit curious as to how other schools teach it.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My teacher first goes through the exercises in the C1 book. She explains the topic..that takes one whole lesson...and then she tells us to do all the questions in that exercise. Next lesson, she asks us which questions in that exercise we found difficult...if any, then she goes over them. Then she explains the next exercise and then the next...next..next.

Now we have finished all exercises in the c1 book. We are doing past papers in class and my teacher is explaining them to us. She is also going through the end of topic test questions we had in the previous months.
Reply 2
Give us the jargon first.
Then go through simple to harder examples teaching us how to apply the theory to those questions.. and then lots of practise
Reply 3
First they explain how to do it, sometimes algebraically sometimes with examples. Then they do an example or 2 which the class does and they explain it, then we get set some questions and as we're doing them if there's any which seem to be causing particular problems they go through it on the board. There's only 8 people in the class, so alot of problems are dealt with individually.
Reply 4
badly
Reply 5
Same here, I have 2 teachers for maths, one is really good and teaches the subject well but the other isn't very good. English isn't her first language and she has problems knowing the right terms to tell us so it gets very confusing.
Reply 6
My maths teacher takes half an hour for the proper introductory to the topic then another 45 mins doing example questions and showing us how 'they can make the q's harder', after that we have an hour or so on ourselves doing exercise q's in class which we are set for hwk but we are allowed to start them in class and we call him individually if we need help.
I think maths is taught great at my school, it is the most well organised subject ive have :biggrin:
Reply 7
My mechanics teacher goes over the 'theory' and an example or two and then we just do a few more questions in class, and some more for homework...and ask him if we have any problem
My pure maths teacher just does lots and lots and lots of examples...shed write questions on the board and give us some time to do them and then goes over them....so we have really good practise in lessons too...and ofcourse theres homework too
Reply 8
The good teacher goes over and over the work, getting us to do a few sample questions and go through them, until he's sure we understand it and then sets us some exercises to do ourselves. The awful, annoying teacher goes through it once, quickly, gets annoyed if anyone asks any questions or even dares to look confused, then makes us do some questions. All while making stupid jokes that aren't funny in the slightest. :P
Reply 9
I wished my maths teachers would do that. The one for core, like I said, just does the examples in the book which I could just do at home. But I suppose she explains it at the same time, but even so, I could just ask my dad to do it instead.
Reply 10
Kate.
The awful, annoying teacher goes through it once, quickly, gets annoyed if anyone asks any questions or even dares to look confused, then makes us do some questions. All while making stupid jokes that aren't funny in the slightest. :P

Yeah, one of ours is sort of like that. When someones asks a simple question, occasionally for a split second she looks like shes going to explode, then she takes a short breathe.

And if someone looks confused at the slightest, she picks it up staight away!
Reply 11
devilbunny
badly

Same here, we basically self teach ourselves. A typical Maths class at my school:

Teacher: ok where did we get to last time was it ex2c?
Students:no sir we finished that 2months ago , were on ex6c
Teacher: ok good we are making progress right then carry on

If theres a question we cant do then its up to the smarter students to try figure it out, if no one gets it, our teacher says something like its a stupid question wont come up in the exam. Hes a great guy though personally but I think hes forgotton almost everthing about Alevel maths.
Reply 12
My maths teacher shows off his golf swing to us a lot, and talks about Liverpool FC :p: ! Aside from that, his teaching skills are pretty good, he just lets me plough through the textbooks at my own rate, whilst giving me revision questions from another textbook ^_^ ...
Reply 13
Malik
Same here, we basically self teach ourselves. A typical Maths class at my school:

Teacher: ok where did we get to last time was it ex2c?
Students:no sir we finished that 2months ago , were on ex6c
Teacher: ok good we are making progress right then carry on

If theres a question we cant do then its up to the smarter students to try figure it out, if no one gets it, our teacher says something like its a stupid question wont come up in the exam. Hes a great guy though personally but I think hes forgotton almost everthing about Alevel maths.

hahahahahaha :p: lol

you're getting a rep for that
Reply 14
It's normally a rather laid back lesson to be honest, he'll do a few examples then we can decide whether we understand or not and whether to copy them down

then it's simply doing a Mixed Exercise at the end of chapters, assuming that if we can do them we can do all..

doesn't always work out that peachie, you end up ebing able to do the tough questions but become clueless for the "straightforward ones"
Reply 15
In s1 the teacher just gives us questions to do, then if we find it hard or need to know a formula she will talk it through with us, or if she can't do it (which is quite often) she will go and ask head of maths.
For C3 &C4 the teacher goes through abit of the chapter at a time then gives us questions to do at the end of the lesson and for h/work.
Reply 16
gordon2002
hahahahahaha :p: lol

you're getting a rep for that

LOL

My teacher is the other way around he can do every single question we throw at him
Reply 17
In core maths, we go through an example question where we'll try to work out how to do it, then the teacher will explain what we should have done and will explain the topic/equation/method etc...
In further maths we get taught the method first, then do the Qs
Reply 18
it's just like "prepare a presentation on x for tomorrow".
Reply 19
I do fast maths - a level in one year. So it's literally a topic a leson, we just zoom through explanation/examples and do practice at home. It's usually fine by the time I get to revision.

Latest