The Student Room Group

The Super Duper UK Public Transport Question Thread

Scroll to see replies

'm buying a railcard for my brother online and in the website it says 'We add an extra week’s validity to your Railcard to allow for delivery time'. I know that railcard is normally valid for 1 year i.e. if I buy 5 August 2013 it should valid until 4 August 2014 so does that mean it will be valid until 11 August 2014?
Does anyone know how long the Midland Metro takes end to end (i.e. Wolverhampton to Birmingham Snow Hill)?
If I were to use a friend's travelcard would they have any way of finding out?
Original post by FullMetalX
If I were to use a friend's travelcard would they have any way of finding out?

Yes, if anyone checks your ticket. They also monitor use for patterns associated with fare evasion, so if you were to use it regularly than you would probably get caught. Even as a one off, it's not worth the risk. You (and your friend) could end up with a criminal record.
I am going to a university outside of London but live in London during the holidays, is there any student or 18+ oyster that I am entitled to in order to get a discount for bus/train travel or do I just need to get an adult oyster card?
Oops I somehow deleted my post. Fairly certain I was editing it...

Either way, since you aren't living in London during your term time, I believe you could only really go for a standard 18+ Oyster. Discounted student Oyster's only apply for students who live in London during term.
Original post by Pterodactyl
I am going to a university outside of London but live in London during the holidays, is there any student or 18+ oyster that I am entitled to in order to get a discount for bus/train travel or do I just need to get an adult oyster card?

If you have a rail card, you can link that to your oyster card to get the discount on single fares as well as the daily capped limit thing.
Reply 587
Original post by Holly Unsightly
If you have a rail card, you can link that to your oyster card to get the discount on single fares as well as the daily capped limit thing.

Only on off-peak caps/single fares though!
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Does anyone know how long the Midland Metro takes end to end (i.e. Wolverhampton to Birmingham Snow Hill)?

If you're going Snow Hill to Wolverhampton, it'd be quicker to walk to New Street and get a train from there to Wolverhampton (~20 minutes by train) :tongue:
Hiiya. Im volunteering for race for life tomorrow in Windsor. I live in greater London and therefore get free bus travel with my 16+ oyster card. I was just wondering would this work in Windsor?

Thanks for your help :biggrin:
Reply 590
Original post by Just Another Girly
Hiiya. Im volunteering for race for life tomorrow in Windsor. I live in greater London and therefore get free bus travel with my 16+ oyster card. I was just wondering would this work in Windsor?

Nope, oyster cards won't work that far out of London. If you were going by train you could use your oyster card for part of the way, as long as the part of the journey you use it on is within the TFL zones 1-9. Hope this helps
nope
Original post by Just Another Girly

Sorry nope. It is for London only.
Quick question, tomorrow I'm traveling around London, I formerly had a 'Monthly Pass' on my oyster however that has expired and as this is the first and only time that I foresee that I'm going into London from 07:00 until 19:00 with more trips being made during off-peak than peak, would I pay the PAYG peak or the off-peak price due to majority of travel being during off-peak?
Reply 594
From September through to next July I’ll be volunteering in zone 6 on Monday - Thursday & having training in zone 1 on Fridays. I travel in from zone 5 & essentially this is how it pans out. All travel will be in peak hours.

4 times a week: bus -> 5 -> 2 -> 6
1 time a week: bus -> 5 -> 1 -> 1

I’m reimbursed monthly for travel, meaning I need to get monthly season tickets. While a zone 1 - 6 travelcard is the obvious option, this costs £219.70 a month to the zone 2 - 6’s £150.60. It seems cheaper to me to load £9 anytime zone 1 travel cards onto my Oyster each Friday as well as the 2 - 6 monthly pass, as I’ll only need zone 1 travel on Fridays.

Can I do this? And are all buses included in this plan?
^ Nah, just buy a Zone 2 - 6 Travelcard, you can just get off at a Zone 2 station and get a bus to your Zone 1 destination. (If you are able to spare lots of time for your travel, that is)

I'm not sure about the "Zone 1/2" stations (Vauxhall, Hoxton, Earl's Court etc.) but I think if you get off on those stations using your Oyster they'll deduct the Zone 1 fare from your PAYG
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 596
Original post by shawn_o1
^ Nah, just buy a Zone 2 - 6 Travelcard, you can just get off at a Zone 2 station and get a bus to your Zone 1 destination. (If you are able to spare lots of time for your travel, that is)

I'm not sure about the "Zone 1/2" stations (Vauxhall, Hoxton, Earl's Court etc.) but I think if you get off on those stations using your Oyster they'll deduct the Zone 1 fare from your PAYG

Thank you, I didn’t think of that! I’ll look into it but I don’t think I can spare the time really as I already need to leave pretty early. Maybe I could just pay as single fares in the morning and use the bus route to get home if I can find a zone 2 station to get off at, as the trains I was looking at are fast to zone 1.
Original post by tehFrance
Quick question, tomorrow I'm traveling around London, I formerly had a 'Monthly Pass' on my oyster however that has expired and as this is the first and only time that I foresee that I'm going into London from 07:00 until 19:00 with more trips being made during off-peak than peak, would I pay the PAYG peak or the off-peak price due to majority of travel being during off-peak?

I assume the fare cap would be the peak one, as you've benefited from peak travel during that time.
Hey guys, I have a question. I have a flight from Madrid to Liverpool Airport which is scheduled to arrived at 18:25 that day. I then have to catch a train to Wolverhampton and was looking at train tickets from Liverpool South Parkway to Wolverhampton. I want to book the train that leaves at 19:44 from Liverpool South Parkway. Do you think that's enough time to get my luggage, catch the bus and make it to Liverpool South Parkway?
Hi! I have applied for a 3 year 16-25 railway card, and i will be studying in london for the next 3 years. My question is should i link the railway card to a normal oyster card or a 18+ student card? whats the difference? Thanks :smile:

PS: i live quite close to my uni, so i won't need it everyday, only when i go out on the weekend perhaps?
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest